IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ME! :) I couldnt have done it without you guys, id just like to thank IS for hiring such pathetic news server admins and especially for limiting connections and speed, dont think i wouldve made it here without them ;)
 
O btw I'm working on a site where you can post nzb's u've downloaded :D Then we will know what has been cached etc.

This deserves post #1000!

Where will you be hosting it? Will you be able to add comments, such as the speeds that you have received with the nzb?
 
I'm using a za.net domain so it might take a while to get registered. Just gonna use some pre-made script for it. Will be doing it in my spare time so can't promise anything. Will be hosted in USA, unfortunately all that I have for now. You have to have international access to download nzb from other sites anyway, so this won't be much different.

Haven't really started development so I can't say what it has yet, but I'm open to suggestions. :D

What a nice post (#1000) to reveal my plans for world domination :)
 
I'm using a za.net domain so it might take a while to get registered. Just gonna use some pre-made script for it. Will be doing it in my spare time so can't promise anything. Will be hosted in USA, unfortunately all that I have for now. You have to have international access to download nzb from other sites anyway, so this won't be much different.

Haven't really started development so I can't say what it has yet, but I'm open to suggestions. :D

What a nice post (#1000) to reveal my plans for world domination :)

14th november, ill join you in your quest, pinky and the brain ;) university holidays, 4months of,umm,hmm, nothing! :)
 
I'm using a za.net domain so it might take a while to get registered. Just gonna use some pre-made script for it. Will be doing it in my spare time so can't promise anything. Will be hosted in USA, unfortunately all that I have for now. You have to have international access to download nzb from other sites anyway, so this won't be much different.

Haven't really started development so I can't say what it has yet, but I'm open to suggestions. :D

What a nice post (#1000) to reveal my plans for world domination :)

yoh this would be really really great....with us knowing which files are cached
!!!!yoh that would be wonderful............

is it gonna be invite only or what?
 
yes and you are not invited ;) We should make it proudly South African -> charge people out their asses...

Total gigs downloaded via news server this month: 135gb + counting ;)
 
yes and you are not invited ;) We should make it proudly South African -> charge people out their asses...

Total gigs downloaded via news server this month: 135gb + counting ;)

how do u manage this?? I can barely get 10kBs from the news server. Takes me forever to get anything down :(
 
O btw I'm working on a site where you can post nzb's u've downloaded :D Then we will know what has been cached etc.

This deserves post #1000!

I'm doing php self study and will whip something together. I think we should group together and purchase a local hosting account. Will be really awesome.
 
Yea, i don't mind putting in some cash, seems usenet is the way to go in South Africa at the moment, hek I don't mind even uploading some local content now and then.

Just finished my third year project for university, full information system, should've done a nzb site,lol ;)

If it could be hosted locally, might be a bonus for those who can just afford the 30gig local account...



*EDIT: question is, which ISP would be willing to host nzbs? any laws regarding them in South Africa?
 
Last edited:
how do u manage this?? I can barely get 10kBs from the news server. Takes me forever to get anything down :(

Found the server quite stable this month...

Find i get a minimum of 2mbit at times peaking to max speed depending on what im downloading...
 
If you have time to do some coding for this cause it would be great! I will happily host it on my international server for the time being until we can sort out some local hosting. :D

Local hosting might cost a bit because nzb's can be quite big, especially if traffic picks up. So let's use my hosting for the time being and then I'll set up ad-sense on the site. Then at a later stage if the ad's start bringing in some money I might be able to organize local hosting. The ads will obviously only be there to make the site self sustainable. The idea of people giving money every month could work but I can't imagine that it will work well ;)
 
The cached files will probably be deleted from the server after some time, so I think it's best if the script can also delete files that are older than 40 days or 80 days or something like that.

PM sent ;)
 
If you have time to do some coding for this cause it would be great! I will happily host it on my international server for the time being until we can sort out some local hosting. :D

Local hosting might cost a bit because nzb's can be quite big, especially if traffic picks up. So let's use my hosting for the time being and then I'll set up ad-sense on the site. Then at a later stage if the ad's start bringing in some money I might be able to organize local hosting. The ads will obviously only be there to make the site self sustainable. The idea of people giving money every month could work but I can't imagine that it will work well ;)

and you can organise a count to see who has downloaded the nzb and how many times it has been downloaded so we can like communicate ask bout speeds qulaity etc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X