Is the Ipad worth getting?

Nimz

Executive Member
I recently sold my Iphone 3G and got a good price of R3000

I am thinking of putting in a R1000 more and buying the 16GB Wifi Ipad from America

It costs $499 which works out to $499*7 = R3493 + 8% (R279.44) in duties etc
Total = R3772.44

My question is, is it worth the price?
What other devices are better within the same price range?
What can the Ipad do that the Iphone can't do?

adsl3g

Expert Member
1. NO
2. you can get a decent Netbook for that price which you can do a lot more on.
3. Nothing

The_Unnamed

WUD FTW
1. for the price you have it down as then yes its worth it. But i know it will cost more than that.
2. depends what you want to use it for
3. nothing really. Does less than the iphone 4.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Seems like a good price to me

Do you want to primarily create content or consume it? If it's content creation you want I'd skip the redheaded stepchild (netbooks) and look at a proper laptop but for consuming video and text nothing I've used quite measures up to the ipad.

The iPhone and iPad look similar but the difference in screen sizes greatly influences what you can do with each device. One's a phone the other is a tablet.

EDIT - the ipad was a lot easier to dismiss before I'd actually spent time using one.

Last edited:

Nimz

Executive Member
I will be using it mainly to stream movies and as a portable media centre and some small games....Instead of carrying my laptop around

1. for the price you have it down as then yes its worth it. But i know it will cost more than that.
2. depends what you want to use it for
3. nothing really. Does less than the iphone 4.

How much more would it cost?
I Budgeted R4000 max for it
There is no shipping cost because a relative is getting it for me

adsl3g

Expert Member
I think you may have a stock problem. I got mine from a relative as well - did not pay any duties but she had to pay sales tax(can't remember the amount) and forgot to claim it back before she left the USA. I also only wanted the 16gb wifi but there was no stock, only the 64gb wifi - which I took anyway. If they do get one... make sure you get the apple case for it as well, for $39 you NOT going to get anything comparable locally for a decent price.

Mars

Honorary Master
I recently sold my Iphone 3G and got a good price of R3000

I am thinking of putting in a R1000 more and buying the 16GB Wifi Ipad from America

It costs $499 which works out to $499*7 = R3493 + 8% (R279.44) in duties etc
Total = R3772.44

My question is, is it worth the price?
What other devices are better within the same price range?
What can the Ipad do that the Iphone can't do?

Its worth the price. Definitely.
Have a look at the android pads, tho I personally think that the iPad is tops.
There is actually alot that the iPad can do that the iPhone cant. Tho it works both ways, there are things that the iPhone can do that the ipad can't.

As Bwana says, the difference in size makes all the difference. I basically use it for entertainment and some work on the side (mostly because I get distracted by the games before I can start working :D)

fionab

I would definetly get the iPad I have a netbook and notebook and still find I use my iPad frequently as it is much lighter to carry around and my primary use is reading ebooks and catching up on my blog reading. Way more comfortable that eith of the other options and not to mention battery life. I have an iPhone and you cannot compare them if you use it for the uses I quoted. I have also used it to watch movies when travelling way less bulky to use in flight and at airports.

Nimz

Executive Member
cool i think i will get it....just a bit worried now that it might cost more than what i budgeted for it

Sensorei

Executive Member
YES. I am on my 2nd iPad. I first got the 16GB 3G after owning a FEW Android iPad/ePad/aPad tablets and must say it has no rival overall. The better Android tablets are good but Apple's UI and general ease of use is much better (even for the price) now that OS 4.2 is out.

I upgraded to the 64GB iPad because 16GB really doesn't cut it. By the way I don't use my netbook at all anymore. Obviously for some people a netbook would work out better but my iPad is mostly for on the go/ in bed/ on the couch entertainment, secondly for easy portable document access and for internet banking.

Get one! :)

Last edited:

NetDude

Expert Member
I've seen a colleague use it during a conference we attended... I knew there & there that I'd get one as soon as I could afford it!

GET ONE!!!

The_Unnamed

WUD FTW
$500 * 7 = R3500
110% of R3500 = R3850
14% of R3850 = R539
So the total (minus the import duties that electronic goods get) will be R4389

(No idea if this is correct :p)

Nimz

Executive Member
Just looked that you use 8% when working out the cost.
Where did you get that from?

From the Family member who is getting it for me.....this is the second 1 he is importing....but he said i should work on 7%-8%
can he not declare it as a late christmas gift?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
From the Family member who is getting it for me.....this is the second 1 he is importing....but he said i should work on 7%-8%
can he not declare it as a late christmas gift?
He can declare it as whatever he wants but customs isn't obliged to take any notice.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So there's no way around it?
Do they check hand luggage?
Hand luggage? They'll check body-cavities if they think you've got something to hide.

Odds are however pretty good that they can walk it in but it's best to keep some coin in reserve if it doesnt work out as planned.