Is Webuycars reliable?

johnspake

The price difference between dealerships and Webuycars is quite significant. From my research, I have found that I will not get protected by CPA when buying from them.

I am quite tempted to buy my first car from WBC but I am a bit skeptical about them. What was your experience of buying a car from them? Are they reliable? What is the quality of their cars?

I'd love to hear your experiences! Thanks :)

WesleyDB

I personally did not buy a car from them, but from what I heard it's a bit safer to buy a car from them than privately, no worries about dodgy paperwork. As far as the vehicle it's self they aren't prepared to do any repairs to it before you purchase it like a normal dealership would and the getting the car ready for cor inspection is also up to you. I do speak under correction, as all this I heard from a friend of mine who was looking to buy a car from them.

dsimonse

Just my 10c but I tried buying two cars from them. First I tried buying a older Auris X. The test drive went great until I came back and was told no warranty can be given on the older higher milage cars. Also no financing can be done for those cars. Being pre approved direct at Absa I went back to them and wanted a more modern car since the interest rates I received was low. I was provided with another shock, even if they are an absa dealer approved they don't allow you to finance directly through the banks. Also look out for the registration fees and warranty. This is usually an extra 16k depending on the vehicle you take.

Afon Kulikov

Forging
They are good if you can't get your car sold, otherwise don't buy from them, even if they are cheap.
Friend of mine bought a car from them and ended up with "massive" repair bills on the car to keep it going.

For your first car go to a dealer and buy a demo or approved second hand car, this way you have peace of mind and the dealer will look after you.
Even if the dealer might be a bit more expensive you will save a lot more money in the long run.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
If you don't know cars well, you will probably get burned.

Bought twice for them before, but I know what I am buying and what to look out for.

Last edited:

Arex

Purchased a car from them last year, made sure to take precautions such as bringing someone who knew cars, having the car serviced and checked up.

I may have been lucky as one year has passed and everything still working good (knock on wood).

R_D_V

I would avoid them unless you do as @Arex did and get a good independent inspection done before buying anything.

I know of two people who have purchased vehicles from them in two different provinces. One had their gearbox give up after a few months, at which point it was discovered that the original gearbox had been replaced with one that was not even designed to fit that particular vehicle. It was a massive struggle to get them to admit to the problem and sort it out.
The other picked up on some issues before purchase which were "sorted" but has been having endless niggling issues with dodgy welds done to the air conditioning system etc.

To be fair, after the issues I experienced buying a secondhand vehicle from a well known dealership last year, I would treat any dealership/salesman with the same amount of skepticism.

Zarnicate

My experience with them is more on the selling side. They offered me R100k less than the dealer thus my opinion of them is not very high especially now reading above comments as well.

Rather stay away.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I've sold cars and bikes to them a few times. The seemed to offer about halfway between what I could get pvt and trade. At the lower end of the scale that's only a couple of thousand rand, so no big loss, and for the convenience it was a win.

My understanding is that buying from them is similar to buying on auction - without the bidding etc.

Moereloos

I have bought two cars cash from them and had no issues. As long as you know what to look for and what to expect in a second hand car you are no worse off than buying a car privately.

sin_x

My experience with them is more on the selling side. They offered me R100k less than the dealer thus my opinion of them is not very high especially now reading above comments as well.

Rather stay away.

I had a similar experience. Got a much (much!) better offer through a dealer.
My only regret is that WBC has my contact details now.

johnspake

Thanks everyone for your useful input. Seems like most of you are advising against them. If there are any more suggestions and experiences, please shoot :D

In case I decide to go with them, what should I be looking out for? Like I said, it is my first car and I do not have much experience with cars. I guess this will apply to buying from dealerships as well.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Thanks everyone for your useful input. Seems like most of you are advising against them. If there are any more suggestions and experiences, please shoot :D

In case I decide to go with them, what should I be looking out for? Like I said, it is my first car and I do not have much experience with cars. I guess this will apply to buying from dealerships as well.
You need to check service books and make sure all the services are recorded in the service book. Check the engine for water and oil leaks.

Otherwise just ask here If the model is good buy, as some cars might look perfect but they might have well documented issues that might leave out of the pocket.

When a car is too cheap it might be really good deal or endless money pit. Sometimes a higher milage Toyota is a better long term car then a Ford with lower milage etc

johnspake

You need to check service books and make sure all the services are recorded in the service book. Check the engine for water and oil leaks.

Otherwise just ask here If the model is good buy, as some cars might look perfect but they might have well documented issues that might leave out of the pocket.

When a car is too cheap it might be really good deal or endless money pit. Sometimes a higher milage Toyota is a better long term car then a Ford with lower milage etc

Thanks for this. I'll keep in mind

johnspake

Before you sign the papers take the car to an AA centre and let them do thorough check.
But still, don't buy from them for your first car, stick with a dealer and an approved second hand car
Yes I've actually decided to go with a dealer after the suggestions here and reading the horror stories of people who dealt with WBC. Do I need to take the car to an AA centre if I'm buying it from a dealer as well? What is an AA centre anyway? :X3:

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Yes I've actually decided to go with a dealer after the suggestions here and reading the horror stories of people who dealt with WBC. Do I need to take the car to an AA centre if I'm buying it from a dealer as well? What is an AA centre anyway? :X3:
No, dealer cars are approved, and they are obligated to tell you of any problems, because if something does go wrong they are obligated to repair it with no cost.

The AA is the Automobile Association

johnspake

No, dealer cars are approved, and they are obligated to tell you of any problems, because if something does go wrong they are obligated to repair it with no cost.

The AA is the Automobile Association

Great! And how does this obligation work? Is there a timeframe within which they would be willing to repair the vehicle?