Jellybean OTA update for S2 just arrived!

Ghost29

This morning I saw a prompt on my S2 asking me if I wanted to receive a software update. It turns out, it's the long awaited JB update for S2.

One question though, I know if you flashed an overseas ROM, you had to get a new sim card if you were with MTN as the APN settings didn't work on the old MTN sim card. Now that MTN have released the update, will I still need a new sim card or have they fixed this?

ABCpt

Expert Member
Mine works fine with the original sim card and I am with MTN. Update loaded this morning.

jalize

Mine also updated, but now there is no data connections or APN.

if I try to input an APN it disappears when I save the APN.

any ideas??

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Mine also updated, but now there is no data connections or APN.

if I try to input an APN it disappears when I save the APN.

any ideas??

I had the same, you need a new sim card.

I entered that APN %#$Q settings 10 times before giving up.

JoE

Updated mine yesterday and my phone bricked itself. Once I got that sorted out I had JB that worked on wifi but no mobile data apns. Tried other MTN sims and even a Vodacom one and all those worked with mobile data apns. So now I got to do a sim swap on MTN which if I were on prepaid is the cost of a replacement sim ie. R5 but since I'm on contract I'm told I must pay R150 to do the same job... so much for rewarding customer loyalty MTN.

Vl@d

Same problem here, Wifi perfect mobile data non existent. Phoned MTN they said I should contact Samsung as lots of customers have same problem.

Brilliant service.....

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Last night my son went to sleep with the update downloading. Maybe I should phone and hear if his worked??

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Same problem here, Wifi perfect mobile data non existent. Phoned MTN they said I should contact Samsung as lots of customers have same problem.

Brilliant service.....

It's not Samsung, the SIM card is just outdated.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Found the Samsung 3x4 keyboard to be too slow on Jellybean 4.1.2. I installed anysoftkeyboard and am using the gingerbread theme, thats the best 3x4 keyboard I found after searching a bit.

Pada

Executive Member
I'm also sitting with the issue where I have no mobile Internet after the update and that my APN settings will disappear.

I noticed that in 4.0.1 that Avast was able to pick up the IMSI of my SIM, but now in 4.1.2 it cannot detect it any more.

So I'd guess I'll be going to the MTN shop tomorrow morning to ask for a new SIM. I hope this time they'll accept that they'll have to give me a new SIM, because the previous time I asked to get a microSIM, they told me only contract users may get one.
I'm going to ask for a microSIM again, because its just easier to move to another phone...

JoE

I did the sim swap the other day and my phone works now. Word of advice for those doing the sim swap.. ask for a micro/mini sim and keep it in the normal sim card so that when you do upgrade you don't have to fork out again for a sim. Anybody experiencing any freezing with the update?

Pada

Executive Member
Thanks for mentioning that the problem was with the SIM!

I spent about 20 minutes at MTN where they tried to get it working by sending settings to the phone, etc.
Then eventually I just insisted on a new SIM and the lady actually asked me whether I wanted a microSIM...
So now I've got a microSIM (which included the adapter to the normal SIM size) and it can easily be broken out into a miniSIM size.

It probably took 2-4 hours for the SIM swap to take effect and afterwards I had mobile Internet again! Unfortunately it did cost me R136.80 for the new SIM.

So far I'm not really impressed with the update, except for the new auto-correction keyboard.
I had to downgrade and then upgrade Google Maps to get its offline maps to download/work again.
I actually find it strange that MTN does not give you the default SIM PIN of 00000 on the paper/card when you get the new SIM...

I'm still questioning my battery life, whether its better or worse than 4.0.3, but I'm leaning towards worse.

Last edited:

ABCpt

Expert Member
I got another upgrade last night. On Kernel version 3.0.31 - 1402302. Any one else?