Just another sad ADSL user

SoVereign_ZA

So, just as so many others have posted, I to decided to bare my ADSL woes unto those who wish to partake...

Quite a few months back my adsl speed was near perfect, barring the occasional hiccup here and there which was understandable to say the least.

A little bit about my line:
2Mb line with Axxess, was uncapped but have since moved to 50gig capped as, according to Axxess it would be faster, had it for a few years now.
Modem is a Netgear.
I've obsessively checked absolutely everything I could with regards to my line incl. the noise margin, SNR and all of the tech stuff. <- This by the way is perfect for my distance away from the exchange which is just short of 1km away from my house.
I've run multiple speed tests, tracerts, download tests.

Now for the fun stuff:
The last few months have proved somewhat... trying for my patience.
After multiple checks, tests and analysis I have deduced that between 4PM -> -+ 11-12pm my download speeds ranges from 10KB - 50KB.

At time of writing this my speed is:
Ping is:104ms
DL - did not complete test, timed-out
Using www.saix.net Rosebank server (It takes about 5 mins to complete test assuming it does complete)

Long story short, there's no issue on my side, and 'OBVIOUSLY' there's no issue with telkom or my ISP. But I know that my exchange is congested / over-subscribed.

So I come to you with tears of frustration in my eyes and ask:
Is there anything at all that I could do to fix this, which doesn't involve Telkom?

SoVereign_ZA

Have you tested with another ISP capped account?

Yeah, assuming guest / trial accounts count? I've done Mweb, Openweb, Telkom (direct) and Afrihost. All had reletively the same speed. Openweb, if I remember correctly, was approx. 10kbps faster but still nothing special

biometrics

Honorary Master
You could go satellite. Google for: small aperture satellite internet south africa

SoVereign_ZA

Setup charge: R11 000 +
Usage: R3400 + for 5 gigs / month.

Uhmmm, It's a novel idea. Maybe when I direct the next E.T or become president. You'll vote for me right? Low taxes for all?

SoVereign_ZA

Ok, that is a lot more reasonable. But sadly still out of my price range considering per month currently I use about 50gig.
But thank you anyway. I may just look into that if the future of my line stays the same.

GazWrack

Take a screen shot of a traceroute and PM TelkomZA (he's the resident telkom rep) Maybe direct him to your post here too.
Also it would be prudent to include your details like tel#, address etc. as it will help him pin point your exchange.

Avenue

Expert Member
Just something small, but you should also check that no one else is sharing your line. My cousin moved, and after much frustration found that telkom hadn't cancelled his other line and so the new tenants were enjoying free ADSL, piggybacking on his line. It took about 10 calls to telkom before someone diagnosed this. There are also programs your neighbours can use to hack your wifi signal. Worth looking into if you use wifi.

SoVereign_ZA

Take a screen shot of a traceroute and PM TelkomZA (he's the resident telkom rep) Maybe direct him to your post here too.
Also it would be prudent to include your details like tel#, address etc. as it will help him pin point your exchange.

Thanks Gaz, I will do that :)

Just something small, but you should also check that no one else is sharing your line. My cousin moved, and after much frustration found that telkom hadn't cancelled his other line and so the new tenants were enjoying free ADSL, piggybacking on his line. It took about 10 calls to telkom before someone diagnosed this. There are also programs your neighbours can use to hack your wifi signal. Worth looking into if you use wifi.

Yeah I'm pretty sure my wifi is sercure, got mac addresses enabled plus there's no unknown bandwidth usage. But I will check it out reagrdless.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Yeah I'm pretty sure my wifi is sercure, got mac addresses enabled plus there's no unknown bandwidth usage. But I will check it out reagrdless.

MAC address filtering is a very weak for of security. I've been compromised before years ago.