LCD and Plasma Bargains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
It costs too much for a 40-inch LCD. R9999 would be a decent price and R7999 a bargain IMO.
Wrong. a few weeks ago this TV went R17k. Want to know why? Its got 100hz Motion plus, something none of the sub 10k lcd's usually reffered to here has. It's so much cheaper now because the new range will be launched in a coupla weeks.

DarkDenim

Expert Member
Wrong. a few weeks ago this TV went R17k. Want to know why? Its got 100hz Motion plus, something none of the sub 10k lcd's usually reffered to here has. It's so much cheaper now because the new range will be launched in a coupla weeks.
Still too much for a 40-inch LCD. I'd never pay more than R10k.

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
See our site, with some useful links: WarGeeks.

You'll probably have to register, but then where don't you have to?

LED LCD seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:

avr-rulez

Expert Member
See our site, with some useful links: WarGeeks.

You'll probably have to register, but then where don't you have to?

LED LCD seems to be the way to go.

The problem is still the SLOW LCD panels - Yes the colour is great and the Blacks (err dark areas) are darker - coz they can switch off the LED backlight in the areas needed.

But you still have LCD lag...

People beware - LED TV = LCD Panel with LED backlight - NOT LED PIXELS - thats still a couple of reserve banks away.

Also - I am still waiting to see any specs about how many LED's are used -

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
I thought I'd be kind & post this link detailing exactly how LED LCD TV's work here, so you don't have to go through the whole schlepp of registering on the Geek site.

It explains the differences between edge-lit & backlit LED LCD TV's as well.

Before you rush out and buy an LED LCD TV, it might also be wise to check on the progress of 3D LED LCD TV's here.

P924

Expert Member
The problem is still the SLOW LCD panels - Yes the colour is great and the Blacks (err dark areas) are darker - coz they can switch off the LED backlight in the areas needed.

But you still have LCD lag...

People beware - LED TV = LCD Panel with LED backlight - NOT LED PIXELS - thats still a couple of reserve banks away.

Also - I am still waiting to see any specs about how many LED's are used -
The ones I have seen employ an 8*8 grid of LEDs. Don't know if they group more than one LED in one cell though...

zoopy3

For those in Durban, go to Hirsch's in Umhlanga opposite Gateway. I personally think they have the widest range of LCD/LED/Plasma screens and they are well set up.

hschutte

I thought I'd be kind & post this link detailing exactly how LED LCD TV's work here, so you don't have to go through the whole schlepp of registering on the Geek site.

It explains the differences between edge-lit & backlit LED LCD TV's as well.

Before you rush out and buy an LED LCD TV, it might also be wise to check on the progress of 3D LED LCD TV's here.
Thanks for the link!

LancelotSA

Banned
You can't go wrong with any of the top brands (LG, Samsung or Sony).
Thanks.

Thing is I was checking out the specs on the 42" LG Plasma advertised by Game now (it is a PG30 by the way) and it says "Fluid Motion (180 Hz Effect)", now the Samsung 42" states "600Hz subfields"! Huh?

EDIT : and am I am now doubting the person on the phone who said the advertised model was PG 30 as online these online show as 50" and 60" sizes.

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
Hmmm... I'm not a fan of the Samsung or LG plasma screens. Rather look at Panasonic...
Could I ask you to elaborate a little on what not being a fan means? Have you had experience of them or is it just personal preference?

P924

Expert Member
Very nice! I've decided to hold out until I (hopefully) get a bonus in May... but from the looks of things the prices are dropping nicely. :D
I wouldn't hold my breath that long, The new series is about to be launched, so R7999 is probably the lowest you'll see for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.