LCD and Plasma Bargains

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg_SA

Expert Member
Could I ask you to elaborate a little on what not being a fan means? Have you had experience of them or is it just personal preference?
Basically, the LG and Samsung aren't as good as the Panasonic plasma screens... I have some friends with LG and Samsung who have had issues with IR... others with Panasonic have had no issues. I have read loads of reviews and posts on UK AV forums, and the consensus is that if you are buying a plasma, and can afford to spend a bit more, then Panasonic is the way to go.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I've seen a lot of plasmas and while Panasonic is "the best" in this category, do not take anything away from Samsung or LG. I've seen them and they are awesome.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
I've seen a lot of plasmas and while Panasonic is "the best" in this category, do not take anything away from Samsung or LG. I've seen them and they are awesome.
He speaks the truth about Panasonic, but they are pricey.

Trix

I'm holding out for panasonic to relaunch in SA, right now Audio vision imports them and prices are +/- R2000 more than Samsung and LG equivalent panels. When there's more competition amongst retailers prices are bound to come down a little.

george_vg

I wouldn't hold my breath that long, The new series is about to be launched, so R7999 is probably the lowest you'll see for a while...
Now don't just mention this, give some more info :) Which models etc?

P924

Expert Member
Could not get any more info out of Sony SA rep, but I think you can look at the American '5000 series. Looks like 100 or 120Hz motion flow is coming in on the entry level screens, but expect pricing to be R12.5k+ for a 40inch for the first couple of months.

hschutte

Some of the new ones coming: BRAVIA KDL-40EX500A (100Hz motion flow), BRAVIA KDL-46EX500A (100Hz motion flow), BRAVIA KDL-32EX600A (LED), BRAVIA KDL-40EX600A (LED). Prices in the R9k to R13k range.

But you didn't hear this from me... ;)

P924

Expert Member
on lcd's refresh rate don't matter, the response time does. Ask most gamers
With TVs they are very closely related. My Sony 40V550 is much faster than my SamsungP2370 (2ms) in terms of response time. But then the Samsung is not really 2ms...

Sensorei

Executive Member
Sinotech 37" LCD for R4999 at Makro is a pretty good deal. Anyone seen another decent 37“ under R6k somewhere?

george_vg

SERIOUS BARGAIN! Samsung 40" Full HD - 40B532 at R 7599.00, Unbelievable? This is how, Makro has them now @ R 7999.00, then you go to Game which have them @ R 11 999.00 and ask them to "Price Beat" Makro and this is how their price beat works: They will match Makro's price and give you an additional 10% off of the difference, which equates to R 400.00, thus you only pay R 7599.00.
Got mine tonight at Game, Cape Gate...they we're pissed to give me R 4400 discount, but that's the promise they make! But don't delay too much, cause if they catch on, they might find some workaround?

Anyway you can send me a virtual coke for that advice - enjoy :)

hschutte

SERIOUS BARGAIN! Samsung 40" Full HD - 40B532 at R 7599.00, Unbelievable? This is how, Makro has them now @ R 7999.00, then you go to Game which have them @ R 11 999.00 and ask them to "Price Beat" Makro and this is how their price beat works: They will match Makro's price and give you an additional 10% off of the difference, which equates to R 400.00, thus you only pay R 7599.00.
Got mine tonight at Game, Cape Gate...they we're pissed to give me R 4400 discount, but that's the promise they make! But don't delay too much, cause if they catch on, they might find some workaround?

Anyway you can send me a virtual coke for that advice - enjoy :)
Nice one! :) I'll add it to the first post.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
With the Panasonic's I'd get a NeoDP Panel. The current range is very good - almost as good as the Pioneer Kuro range. In 1-2 years Panasonic should beat Pioneer and that will be the sweet spot to buy a Panasonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.