LIVE | Apartheid flag judgment

Ponderer

Expert Member
Is a white person a symbol?:)
Let me spell it out for you.
Are every/all white people associated with oppression for no other reason that they are white?
Or.
Are every/all white people oppressors for no other reason that they are white?
Or.
Are every/all white people symbols of oppression for no other reason that they are white?

yebocan

Executive Member
Nelson Mandela Foundation to take AfriForum's Ernst Roets to court over apartheid flag tweet

The Nelson Mandela Foundation says it will file an urgent application in the High Court to declare that Ernst Roets, AfriForum's deputy chief, is in contempt of court.
The foundation's comments come after Roets took to Twitter on Wednesday to post a picture of the old flag, asking: "Did I just commit hate speech?"

This was just hours after the "gratuitous" display of the flag was declared hate speech by Deputy Judge President Phineas Mojapelo.

Mojapelo ruled that the gratuitous display of the flag was hate speech in terms of Section 10(1) of the Equality Act, unfair discrimination in terms of Section 7, and harassment in terms of Section 11 of the act.
The judge said those who displayed the flag aimed to insult, and were expressing feelings of white supremacy.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Nelson Mandela Foundation to take AfriForum's Ernst Roets to court over apartheid flag tweet

The same bunch who defended that cnut in Denmark are now upset over a flag used in a tweet?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have to say that I'm suddenly seeing way more Union Flags than I've seen in the past 20 years!

BCO

Honorary Master

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The govt and the Mandela Foundation must not be surprised if there is a sudden and unprecedented increase in people deliberately flying the face of this ruling (pun intended). The motion was and is stupid and can easily be inflammatory in itself.
They should have rather left this particular dog alone to slumber and maybe even sleep away.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Let me spell it out for you.
Are every/all white people associated with oppression for no other reason that they are white?
Or.
Are every/all white people oppressors for no other reason that they are white?
Or.
Are every/all white people symbols of oppression for no other reason that they are white?
I was yanking your chain with the question.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I remember standing in the hall in high school singing the National Anthem with a huge old SA flag on the wall.
Guess it was actually the KKK then :unsure:

Last edited:

yebocan

Executive Member
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Indeed. It is so astonishing to see uniformity of supporters of confederate flags in USA and this flag here. Same kind of people supporting trump there and supporters of trump in trump thread here.
the value of a diverse upbringing should never be underestimated.

konfab

Honorary Master
the value of a diverse upbringing should never be underestimated.
Quite agree, what I saw at school is exactly what I am seeing now.

Privileged black people (like the hellspawn of politicians) telling white teachers that the wealth should be equally distributed.

Ponderer

Expert Member
We supposedly have one of the best constitutions in the world.
We have the (constitutional) right to believe what you want, associate with who you want, say what you want, ........., as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.

Here's the thing.
Do some have more (constitutional) rights than others?
When are you infringing on the rights of others, and when are they infringing on your rights?
Just because you "feel" someone is infringing, does not mean that they are in fact doing so.
You have the right to "feel" whatever you want, but that does not make your "feelings" more important than someone/anyone else's "feelings".

If something like a flag offends you, its because you let it offend you.
Its just a flag.
Its not hate speech.
The "feeling" that a flag infringes on your rights and is hate speech is downright silly/stupid.
Grow up.
The whole world does not revolve around you and your "feelings".
Banning the old flag is downright silly/stupid.

Last edited:

Ponderer

Expert Member
The govt and the Mandela Foundation must not be surprised if there is a sudden and unprecedented increase in people deliberately flying the face of this ruling (pun intended). The motion was and is stupid and can easily be inflammatory in itself.
They should have rather left this particular dog alone to slumber and maybe even sleep away.
Absolutely - agree with you 100%.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Oh my, Oh my! I have actually found something I can agree with that @Ponderer has posted.

Must be Friday. -------- Either that or I am going down with some or other ailment.