Looking for best 10Gb non-ADSL internet solution.

Pieter2627

My ADSL has been off from 26 Feb to 5 Apr and then again from 25 Apr to 6 May and then again from 7May, Telkom says that the cables were stolen each time (which I am suspicious about) and that they will not fix it. So now I am looking for a solution that will offer a minimum of 10GB.

I have tried WiMAX from Neotel, but they just said that my area is not covered - some page from Telkom that seems really old (non of the links on it is working), show that my area is covered by one tower but this is not listed on Neotel's map.

Before I had my ADSL I had a Vodacom data contract but speeds were never above 200kbps at day and 300-400kbps at night (those speeds are in bits - which I was never happy about). And my phone never detects a 3G/HSDPA signal (even thought MTN, Cellc and 8ta's coverage map shows that I'm covered) above 2 bars and uses edge most of the time. But 8ta has a 10GB contract with a router for R400 which seems like the best that I can find.

iBurst also does not have coverage in my area.

So do any of you guys maybe know of some better deals? I need a minimum of 10GB/uncapped with a decent speed and if it is a modem then it has to be compatible with Ubuntu(linux) so that I can share it with the rest of my computers.

Valken

My ADSL has been off from 26 Feb to 5 Apr and then again from 25 Apr to 6 May and then again from 7May, Telkom says that the cables were stolen each time (which I am suspicious about) and that they will not fix it. So now I am looking for a solution that will offer a minimum of 10GB.

I have tried WiMAX from Neotel, but they just said that my area is not covered - some page from Telkom that seems really old (non of the links on it is working), show that my area is covered by one tower but this is not listed on Neotel's map.

Before I had my ADSL I had a Vodacom data contract but speeds were never above 200kbps at day and 300-400kbps at night (those speeds are in bits - which I was never happy about). And my phone never detects a 3G/HSDPA signal (even thought MTN, Cellc and 8ta's coverage map shows that I'm covered) above 2 bars and uses edge most of the time. But 8ta has a 10GB contract with a router for R400 which seems like the best that I can find.

iBurst also does not have coverage in my area.

So do any of you guys maybe know of some better deals? I need a minimum of 10GB/uncapped with a decent speed and if it is a modem then it has to be compatible with Ubuntu(linux) so that I can share it with the rest of my computers.

Hi Pieter,

Firstly, where are you located??

Have a look at these guys.. I use them and they are awesome! Also very flexible!

Level 7

http://www.level-7.co.za

webtailor

10Gb??? I suppose you meant 10Mbps ????

So far I know there is absolutely no 10Gbps in the market (hardly can get that in a local network, as the most common is 100mbps and 1Gigabit).

Anyway... Shout where you are located. Any wireless connection will work if you are in the coverage area and many times (probably 99% of the cases) you require FULL LINE OF SIGHT to their access point.

Usually a wireless connection is slightly more expensive than regular ADSL, but you get syncronous (or almost syncronous) speeds something that ADSL cannot give you.

The contention ratio also will affect the price, but i've been that for home users most WISP are doing 10:1 contention (better than ADSL anyway).

Any higher contention (5:1 or 3:1 or 1:1) you will pay for business connection quality and will kick your pricing up to the roof. But some people don't mind paying big bucks for good service as it may come with a SLA.

Pieter2627

Location and additional data.

Firstly, where are you located??

I am located at Karenpark, Akasia (Pretoria North). I have come into contact with Level 7 and await their reply.

So far I know there is absolutely no 10Gbps in the market (hardly can get that in a local network, as the most common is 100mbps and 1Gigabit).

10Gb of data, not connection speed.

I also forgot to mention that I want to avoid a contract.

nevadayz

Expert Member

i assume he meant 10Gb data cap pm..

8ta is great, had it for two years now, getting around 700kb/s download and very stable, i think only had problems twice in the two years.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Anyway... Shout where you are located. Any wireless connection will work if you are in the coverage area and many times (probably 99% of the cases) you require FULL LINE OF SIGHT to their access point.

Usually a wireless connection is slightly more expensive than regular ADSL, but you get syncronous (or almost syncronous) speeds something that ADSL cannot give you.

The contention ratio also will affect the price, but i've been that for home users most WISP are doing 10:1 contention (better than ADSL anyway).

Any higher contention (5:1 or 3:1 or 1:1) you will pay for business connection quality and will kick your pricing up to the roof. But some people don't mind paying big bucks for good service as it may come with a SLA.

He is looking at a capped non-ADSL product. So the "data bundle" must be 10GB, not the connection speed.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Do this: Go get a new 8ta prepaid SIM. Load some airtime and buy a Telkom Mobile data bundle on *180#. It is R38 for 250MB. Take it home and test the data signal and speeds. If you get good signal, then you can buy the 60GB + 60GB data bundle for R1800 that is valid for a year.