Mac forums very quiet (Bootcamp prob)

adsl3g

Expert Member
Too quiet here - no-one has problems??

I have a little niggly thing that is more of a hassel than a problem. When I want to boot into windows with bootcamp (pressing the Option button at startup), I have to unplug my external DVD writer or else the iMac freezes and has to be restarted.

I just use Windows these days to rip problem DVD's with CloneDVD hence my having to go into XP.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Haven't had that problem yet, also iMac.
I use something called "Boot champ" to get from OSX to XP.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
At what step of the process does it actually freeze?

Is it a USB or FW dvd writer?

adsl3g

Expert Member
At what step of the process does it actually freeze?

Is it a USB or FW dvd writer?
Its a USB writer. As soon as I select the Win icon and click on the arrow - it stays there...

The DVD Writer is plugged into a USB hub then into the iMac. Either unplugging the USB writer or the hub (which obviously disables the DVD writer) then there is no problem.

Plugging it back in once the boot process is busy then its fine - looks as if its trying to boot from the DVD writer but cant find a bootable disk.

I haven't left it for longer than a minute to see if a error message comes up as I am not that patient (which is why I moved to Mac in the first place)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think you're right - it could be looking for something on that external DVD - I'd let it sit for a few minutes just to see.

paint_by_numbers

Have your tried to boot XP in Safe Mode? (press F5 when Windows XP boots). You can also change the boot sequence by pressing F8 when it boots, from the menu you can find and edit the order in which it finds a start-up disk - it may be looking for a CD/DVD in your DVD writer before it looks at your hard drive.

adsl3g

Expert Member
Have your tried to boot XP in Safe Mode? (press F5 when Windows XP boots). You can also change the boot sequence by pressing F8 when it boots, from the menu you can find and edit the order in which it finds a start-up disk - it may be looking for a CD/DVD in your DVD writer before it looks at your hard drive.
Will try that tonight - thanks

adsl3g

Expert Member
Does your writer have a separate power connector?
Yes and a power switch - don't know what you are leaning towards but its easier just to pull the USB plug to the Hub.

BTW noticed an update for bootcamp posted on Apples site - will update it tonight

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
WRT - Mac forums very quiet - too bad Leopard isnt as problematic as Windows or that other OS.

We'll just have to nitpick for now :D

adsl3g

Expert Member
Just the new front row I'm not liking, otherwise OK.
Given up on Frontrow... using my PS3 to play iTunes music and Videos streaming from the iMac or Macbook.

Back on the Win boot issue - pressing F8 does not give an option to choose which drive to boot from - just busy d/loading Win updates then I will leave it on the boot screen until I get an error message.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What's the problem with frontrow?
Given up on Frontrow... using my PS3 to play iTunes music and Videos streaming from the iMac or Macbook.

Back on the Win boot issue - pressing F8 does not give an option to choose which drive to boot from - just busy d/loading Win updates then I will leave it on the boot screen until I get an error message.
Why would it?

adsl3g

Expert Member
somebody suggested it :rolleyes:

Anyway, after a long while the iMac reboots directly into Mac OS X.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
What's the problem with frontrow?Why would it?
My issues are the same as this guys.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6816206
While the new front certainly is sexy and smooth (no more several seconds transitions between menu alternatives), I've three annoyances to which I've managed to find no solution. Perhaps you fellas, the very heart and brain of the Apple fanbase, can help me out, or at least explain to me why these very important features have been removed or changed.

1. No resume function in movies: While watching iTunes music videos give me the option to resume the video from where I left off before, watching anything in my movies folder does not. This is incredibly confounding, if Apple configured the new front row to work in this way. Why would I want the option to resume watching a music video from where I left off, but not a movie?

2. The fast forward/rewind behaviour: is just terrible. The single click-and-hold forwards/rewinds far too slowly for most rewinding needs, the click-and-hold-and-click-again seems bugged (while the forward/rewind bar shows the movie position moving, the actual picture and the actual position in the movie only changes every half minute of rewinded/forwarded time, or so), and the click-and-hold-and-click twice and the single click (to jump) are both only useable for quickly skipping ahead for several minutes or more.

3. No moving previews: Not much to say besides the obvious. Whatever happened to moving previews?

So, if anyone knows of any solutions for any of these problems, I'll be a happy frontrower. If no solutions exist, then it would be interesting to know the rationale behind these implementations.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A large portion of my movies resume just fine - I'm just too lazy to sort them all out.

I really like the new fast forward and rewind too.

Previews is curious though - I wonder why they disabled those.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
A large portion of my movies resume just fine - I'm just too lazy to sort them all out.

I really like the new fast forward and rewind too.

Previews is curious though - I wonder why they disabled those.
None of mine resume:(
I tend to watch part of a movie or show and then watch the rest some other time.

The new fwd and rwd are nice in that they're fast, but can't if u could tell from the picture on the screen where u are it would be great.
Sometimes its just to fast.

Don't think Apple will be changing any of the 3 soon.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you want resume you just need to put them into itunes. Just a reference will do the job - the file remains in the same folder.

I just look at the slider bar at the bottom of the screen when I'm fast forwarding. The more times you click the faster it fast-forwards (as represented by the number of 'pips'). Not to be confused with the skipping - TBH I'm not sure how the length of skipping is determined.

nocilah

Banned
WRT - Mac forums very quiet - too bad Leopard isnt as problematic as Windows or that other OS.

We'll just have to nitpick for now :D
xactly what i was going to suggest - we all know deep down mac are pretty much leading it. The OS superiority war.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
If you want resume you just need to put them into itunes. Just a reference will do the job - the file remains in the same folder.

I just look at the slider bar at the bottom of the screen when I'm fast forwarding. The more times you click the faster it fast-forwards (as represented by the number of 'pips'). Not to be confused with the skipping - TBH I'm not sure how the length of skipping is determined.
Can u put folder aliases in the Itunes music folder?
In XP now, so can't check.