Major Windows 10 bug confirmed - Only fix is to downgrade

eg2505

Honorary Master
one step forward and 10 steps backwards, I swear M$ dev team is cutting too many corners these days.
cant they release 1 piece of software that isn't hogging most of your CPU/Ram or riddled with holes?

saor

Honorary Master
Windows 10 IS a software bug.
I've stopped updating windows 10. Ja, security blah blah blah. My life is easier without dealing with all these updates and issues. Will take my chances.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I think most people missed the important info in the article, it only affects updates deployed through WSUS with older repos.
Anyone that updates through normal windows update wont be affected.
So for home users it isnt an issue, its more of a problem for corporate networks.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
I use the US Airforce version of hardened XP for my office machines. No way in hell am I ever using Win 10. Win 7 is miles better than that even.

grok

Honorary Master
Work laptop Win10 Pro due to domains, VPN's & corporate sheite.

Home PC Win7 FTW!

Big Rat

pfft. stuck on windows 10 vs 1511. cannot even go to 1903. and i am admin on my machine

Vorastra

Executive Member
Jirre, and so the wait to update to 20H2 continues. I'm still on 1909 after all the 2004 bugs.

j4ck455

Executive Member
I think most people missed the important info in the article, it only affects updates deployed through WSUS with older repos.
Anyone that updates through normal windows update wont be affected.
So for home users it isnt an issue, its more of a problem for corporate networks.
I saw that and my first thought was that it points to crappy dependency and package management, meaning that when one installs a package (doesn't matter how and where from), the installation should terminate if there are incompatible package dependencies.

I think I've mentioned it a good few times before, Microsoft should be dogfooding before unleashing its crap worldwide. I'm sure I've also mentioned Continuous Integration as well.

I use the US Airforce version of hardened XP for my office machines. No way in hell am I ever using Win 10. Win 7 is miles better than that even.
That thing from 2009? Air gapped by removing the power cable would be sufficiently hardened.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Major Windows 10 bug confirmed - Only fix is to downgrade

Microsoft has confirmed a bug in Windows 10 for which the only current fix is to revert to an older version of the operating system.

The bug causes certificates to be missing after users update to a newer version of Windows 10.
Why post this 5 days after the bug was confirmed? Slow news day?

And this bug would be pretty rare, so understandable that they missed it:
System and user certificates might be lost when updating a device from Windows 10, version 1809 or later to a later version of Windows 10. Devices will only be impacted if they have already installed any Latest cumulative update (LCU) released September 16, 2020 or later and then proceed to update to a later version of Windows 10 from media or an installation source which does not have an LCU released October 13, 2020 or later integrated. This primarily happens when managed devices are updated using outdated bundles or media through an update management tool such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. This might also happen when using outdated physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.
And rollback is easy enough.