Make money as a student

Professor Farnsworth

I'm an engineering student looking to make some extra money. Due to the nature of my studies, I can't really keep a part time job (my field require ALOT of studying and I have very erratic hours). Are there any reasonable and flexible online jobs out there? Something I could do whenever I have some time on my hands?

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I'm an engineering student looking to make some extra money. Due to the nature of my studies, I can't really keep a part time job (my field require ALOT of studying and I have very erratic hours). Are there any reasonable and flexible online jobs out there? Something I could do whenever I have some time on my hands?

M2M on camera stripping. Lots of money if you are willing to pee on camera.

Professor Farnsworth

Something like Project Payday, but that's available in SA. I once saw a website where people would 'auction' little jobs online - the lowest or most trusted bidder got to do the job. It was all online sort of work and you could select your skills when you signed up. Anyone know of anything like that or similar?

pjoub06

I suggest that you stop attending class as this is extremely time consuming. This should make enough time available to have a part time job though. Having a job that involves people skills will benefit you immensely as this skill is not really developed in engineering.

Aquilla

Start learning autoCAD and civil designer. You can draw plans or do design work etc and just get a qualified engineer to check it.

Cltgra005

Buy and resell hdmi cables. There's quite a high demand for it. All you need to do is find a cheap supplier of hdmi cables (around R30), then sell it Gumtree for R50. Charge R20 or R30 for delivery (if you have a car), then just do the delivery on Thursdays. I'm making megabucks selling hdmi cables. I sold 60 cables so far, but last week my supplier told me they're currently out of stock, so for now I'm on hiatus. :D

hawker

Honorary Master
I'm a 2nd year civil engineering student and had a job in my first year. Worked at a video store, the hours were fairly flexible (4 hour shifts) and the pay wasn't terrible. Maybe look into that?

Professor Farnsworth

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Will consider my options and take it from there. I like the idea of selling hdmi cables.

Voicy

Honorary Master

I put myself through my elec. engineering degree while working as a waiter & later barman from 5pm-3am. Long hours and you study when you're not working. I had zero social life for those years. Started working full time for a consult. company while doing my final thesis.

If you're studying engineering forget about having an average student life. Keep in mind that if you don't make time you'll never find time.

But yeah, learn CAD asap...there are always consulting companies looking for low key draughtsmen to do work, plus you'll learn more that way in an eng environment than you can ever while studying.

ALFAHOLIC

Expert Member
Engineering students MUST have tutoring options? I started tutoring Information Systems in 2cnd year right up to my hons year...made me a very needy R1500 each month...

Ontop of that, I started blogging regularly on an online site in South Africa,...this brought in about R300-R500 each month as I pushed blogs every day! 7 days a week bru!

That's the only way I know how to make money without real effort being a student, pls just don't let me find you in Sportscene trying to sell me Nike Airs...get a Engineering-related job, tutoring, freelance internship and then ask for money when you suddenly deliver!

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
Engineering students MUST have tutoring options? I started tutoring Information Systems in 2cnd year right up to my hons year...made me a very needy R1500 each month...

Ontop of that, I started blogging regularly on an online site in South Africa,...this brought in about R300-R500 each month as I pushed blogs every day! 7 days a week bru!

That's the only way I know how to make money without real effort being a student, pls just don't let me find you in Sportscene trying to sell me Nike Airs...get a Engineering-related job, tutoring, freelance internship and then ask for money when you suddenly deliver!

how did you moneytize your blog, or did this website pay you to blog?

Kornhub

Blackburn Fan
Well my dad is starting a new company,will talk to him later about it but he is in court now.Me hopefully will make money :D