Metrofibre Feedback

Which ISP are you using on the MFN Network?

• Total voters

Kyoto

It looks like I will be receiving the same equipment for the Gigago connection.

I find it quite strange that Gigago can't take over administration of the current Calix 813G that is in my house. It would be far cheaper this way instead of sending a vehicle to collect the 813 & then sending another vehicle to deliver the 804 & 844.

I think this hasn't been thought through by management.
I asked the same question, apparently its because Gigago is treated exactly like any other "open access" ISP.
On the other hand you would still need an 844E as the 804 does not work with the 813, it needs the 5Ghz radio to use as backhaul.

lllDevin564lll

I asked the same question, apparently its because Gigago is treated exactly like any other "open access" ISP.
On the other hand you would still need an 844E as the 804 does not work with the 813, it needs the 5Ghz radio to use as backhaul.
Time to make space for the large 844E xD.

system32

Expert Member
Help...
I've done a number of speedtests to international and don't seem to get more that 16.8Mbps on a 50/50Mbps (bumped to 60) line.
Is this normal for speedtest.net?

JHB to Vox London (different days/times)
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9202368416.png
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9232767335.png

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9234997638.png

International speedtest.net seems to be rate limited.
Is this a speedtest.net issue (uses port 8080)?

Other international tests seem better:
eg speedsmart.net - uses https
1586000000703.png

m-lab - uses https
1585999714083.png

What speeds should we expect for international?

Edit:
Firefox seems to have a speed issue with speedtest.net london - fine for local.
Chrome gives the correct speed.

EDIT:
Don't use FireFox for speedtest

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
Done a bit more testing with speedtest to london
Seems that Firefox (on Windows) for London speedtest.net is slow.
Tried Chrome and speed is much better.

Firefox:
1586446974893.png

Chrome:
1586446996784.png

Unfortunately, the Speedtest CLI has issues connecting to London servers.

EDIT:
Don't use FireFox for speedtest

Last edited:

Clintie

I been waiting for someone at MFN to tell me when my area is going live. Cables have gone in 5 months ago but it still seems like mass confusion up there.

Last response I got was 1st Quarter 2020, then 2nd Quarter then they just started ignoring me.

Not off to a good start......

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I been waiting for someone at MFN to tell me when my area is going live. Cables have gone in 5 months ago but it still seems like mass confusion up there.

Last response I got was 1st Quarter 2020, then 2nd Quarter then they just started ignoring me.

Not off to a good start......
Do you have one of those black boxes in front of your house yet? Our main fibre lines were laid more then a year before I got fibre. But from the day they put in the boxes and connected it to the main line it was 2 weeks or so.

Clintie

Do you have one of those black boxes in front of your house yet? Our main fibre lines were laid more then a year before I got fibre. But from the day they put in the boxes and connected it to the main line it was 2 weeks or so.
No I just have the round white access hatch in the pavement. Guess they're dragging their balls on this install which is a pity cos they could have made a fortune during this lockdown if they had their ducks in a row.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
No I just have the round white access hatch in the pavement. Guess they're dragging their balls on this install which is a pity cos they could have made a fortune during this lockdown if they had their ducks in a row.
It is probably the same thing (in ours there were 2 connections per box). Is it on everyone or every second pavement? If it is just on the corner of every block then it might still be some time before you get it.

Clintie

It is probably the same thing (in ours there were 2 connections per box). Is it on everyone or every second pavement? If it is just on the corner of every block then it might still be some time before you get it.
Nah there is one "hatch" outside every house.

flikc

Does anyone here have issues with Metrofibre where it drops at random times for about 2 minutes?

R4vZn

Having issues on MFN for past 4 weeks now. On Afrihost 100Mbps Pure Fibre (110Mbps lockdown promotion) -

Coreix.png
chrome.png
edge.png

Afrihost says they are waiting on MFN to make "changes", but seems to be getting worse everyday. Local speeds are lekker

9503457755.png