Mind the speed ISP

rh1

Expert Member
Not sure what is happening, I just want stable consistent internet.

rh1

Expert Member
On your router, you need to set the DNS - what router do you have and do you have admin access?
TP Link Archer C5, yes I do have admin, what I need to understand what this does? Because I am thinking this has never been a problem before. Most likely just going to move ISP.

blunt

Expert Member
TP Link Archer C5, yes I do have admin, what I need to understand what this does? Because I am thinking this has never been a problem before. Most likely just going to move ISP.
Well I'm assuming you're using mts's default nameservers which are likely administered by them. Changing to 1.1.1.1 (CloudFlare) and 8.8.8.8 (Google) would be more stable.

Nameservers translate domain names to their IP addresses so your connection knows where to connect to. If there are problems with DNS you can have issues like you have described.

Reactions: rh1

Bl1zz4rd

I'm on MTS in Cape Town (Vuma trenched). Internet has died multiple times today. Anyone else experiencing issues?

rh1

Expert Member
Dear rh1,

We are experiencing an issue currently affecting Vumatel Active Ethernet clients in the Cape Town Region.

The router handling the Active Ethernet routes is experiencing high CPU usage, which is causing random packet loss. We have migrated the traffic off this router temporarily while we upgrade the router affected, services should be running as expected. We will return this router to service at 22H30 tonight. When we return the router to production there will be a brief disruption in traffic during the changeover.

We will continue to monitor the routers proactively.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Support @ MTS team

Bl1zz4rd

Dear rh1,

We are experiencing an issue currently affecting Vumatel Active Ethernet clients in the Cape Town Region.

The router handling the Active Ethernet routes is experiencing high CPU usage, which is causing random packet loss. We have migrated the traffic off this router temporarily while we upgrade the router affected, services should be running as expected. We will return this router to service at 22H30 tonight. When we return the router to production there will be a brief disruption in traffic during the changeover.

Kind regards,

Support @ MTS team
Thanks so much for sharing! :)

mjzar

Dear rh1,

Kind regards,

Support @ MTS team
So that's a hardware issue with the ISP, Mind the Speed..
Hmmm I'm losing confidence in them

Reactions: rh1

rrh

Expert Member
The problems reported (above) appear to be mainly in the Cape area :unsure:

Any Johannesburg-based MTS user experiencing similar problems ?

rh1

Expert Member
So my 70/70 has been consistently 90+/90+ for the last couple of days:

1626204338393.png
So will see if they maintain service levels as I need to make a choice to jump or stay.

rh1

Expert Member
Since last week Tuesday, been getting consistent 94+/94+ speeds. So it seems mind the speed has stabilised. If it continues, I will stay with them. But if it become inconsistent again, I will find another ISP.

rrh

Expert Member
As I asked in another thread ("Vumatel Price Change #501") "how much [can] an ISP can influence the technical aspects (e.g. dropped connections, speed etc.) of a network that is run by others i.e the FNO ?"

This is not an attempt to absolve any ISP of blame, but rather an attempt to understand the issues at hand.

Any answers welcomed !

rrh

Expert Member
According to MTS support there are no [known] issues with their network, including (one presumes) the Johannesburg area.

Before I move to MTS: any current problems that I should know about ? :unsure:

isie

Honorary Master
According to MTS support there are no [known] issues with their network, including (one presumes) the Johannesburg area.

Before I move to MTS: any current problems that I should know about ? :unsure:
area and FNO you looking at?

Johannesburg is too generic dude