Mobile data bundle consumption test with 100MB file - Vodacom, MTN, Telkom, Cell C

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
They have a minimum billing unit which is 100KB. if there is 50KB you still billed 100KB. Obviously with a file download there would be large packets and few small ones so its a bad test. Try something interactive.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
1. Block internet usage for all apps except your preferred FTP app.
2. Download 100mb file from an FTP site.

On the results, I'm not surprised Telkom and Cell C came out tops to be honest. They seem the most transparent of the four. I am surprised Vodacom came out tops though. MTN are all over the place usually.

WalkWithMe

So this is an average and no guarentee of background data. There is overheads.
can work on a 5% over head and this is within margin.

fismail

#suggestion

I got no problem with a word / article write-up

additionally however why don't you just make a video as well , that would be more "fun" to watch
Do all these kinds of mobile tests / airtime and data tests and other stuff in video format

eleventh

Why use a phone? It is hard to ensure that there is no background processes.
Why not just use a modem, and a Linux box and user wget to fetch the file using a modem.
That ensures no unaccounted overheads.

genetic

Honorary Master
There are overheads when dealing with mobile websites and dynamic content (which WeTransfer uses) - never mind packet loss and checksum verification.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Yeah a rather silly article and not done correctly but this is news these day….

richjdavies

Expert Member
So this is an average and no guarentee of background data. There is overheads.
can work on a 5% over head and this is within margin.
Remind me next time you fill.up.with Petrol and they charge you for 5% more because "overheads".

Surely if MTN and Vodacom were faster there should be less overheads... There is something a bit fishy here.

CPA say anything about Weights and Measures? Who checks they aren't just scamming us?

WalkWithMe

Remind me next time you fill.up.with Petrol and they charge you for 5% more because "overheads".

Surely if MTN and Vodacom were faster there should be less overheads... There is something a bit fishy here.

CPA say anything about Weights and Measures? Who checks they aren't just scamming us?
Read up on TCP. It was designed decades ago

netstrider

Expert Member
Speed does not determine overheads. Only the rate at which such could accrue.

WalkWithMe

Oh right. I forgot that MTN and Vodacom use TCP but Telkom and CellC don't... /S
The experiment is flawed. averaged out. There was no way of knowing the test iscolatd out. Packet sizes. signal strength, quality. network jitter. TCP is about reliability not efficiancy.
Busy networks are more likely to have retries. That is TCP.

This is a rewash of ADSL capped data usage 15 years ago.

genetic

Honorary Master

Yeah, your lack of understanding on how internet traffic works.