More Android users are moving to the iPhone Xr

Dolby

Honorary Master
"According to CIRP, 16% of iPhone Xr buyers upgraded from an Android device."

Whew - iPropaganda right there!

Kinda left this out, which is key :

This report is based on a survey of 165 US Apple customers that purchased an iPhone in the US in the 30 days after the iPhone XR launch on October 26, 2018

Spizz

Goat Botherer
"According to CIRP, 16% of iPhone Xr buyers upgraded from an Android device."

Whew - iPropaganda right there!
Or for the rest of us non rabid anti Apple people, when people buy a new phone, the term used is “upgrade” because they are generally coming from an old phone.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Kinda left this out, which is key :

This report is based on a survey of 165 US Apple customers that purchased an iPhone in the US in the 30 days after the iPhone XR launch on October 26, 2018
Oh, and surveys of this type are generally done using a representative sample of people.

HTH

Dolby

Honorary Master
Or for the rest of us non rabid anti Apple people, when people buy a new phone, the term used is “upgrade” because they are generally coming from an old phone.
Migrated ?
Changed ?
Selected ?

But you're right - maybe hey're not really understanding the term though ...

upgrade
verb

/ʌpˈɡreɪd/
  1. 1.
    raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.
    "upgraded computers"
    synonyms:improve, better, make better, ameliorate, reform, enhance, add to, customize, touch up; More

Dolby

Honorary Master
Oh, and surveys of this type are generally done using a representative sample of people.

HTH
165 US customers isn't representative, Spizz. You're smarter than that?

You can try change it as much as you want ; but the fact remains that it isn't representative with that small a sample.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Migrated ?
Changed ?
Selected ?

But you're right - maybe hey're not really understanding the term though ...

upgrade
verb

/ʌpˈɡreɪd/
  1. 1.
    raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.
    "upgraded computers"
    synonyms:improve, better, make better, ameliorate, reform, enhance, add to, customize, touch up; More
Or it’s just you with your agenda not understanding the term in cell phone parlance

Yeah. It’s just you.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Ah ... ok ... semantics , a difference is out understanding of the word 'upgrade' :/

You're really grasping at straws, but hey - I'll accept it ;)

So to be clear :

165 x US customers is representative ?
And one can upgrade from a Ferrari to a Fiesta?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
165 US customers isn't representative, Spizz. You're smarter than that?

You can try change it as much as you want ; but the fact remains that it isn't representative with that small a sample.
It’s a survey that people use as a tool to gauge trends in Apples biggest market. That’s all. Nothing else unless you are scrambling to stamp your rabid agenda all over it.

Just as an aside. Of the 46 million people eligible to vote in the UK, exit polls predicting results are generally between 600 to 1000 people. It’s not always correct but they do talk about it a lot before the results are announced.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Ah ... ok ... semantics , a difference is out understanding of the word 'upgrade' :/

You're really grasping at straws, but hey - I'll accept it ;)

So to be clear :

165 x US customers is representative ?
And one can upgrade from a Ferrari to a Fiesta?
You have to accept it. I’m right.

And please see my previous reply about surveys then go and do a little bit of reading about them. It’s really quite interesting.

And another thing, because you love your phone and need to constantly justify having it to everyone, doesn’t mean someone else moving from a Huawei to for example an XS doesn’t think it’s a step up in quality and experience.

Please try and remember everyone else is not you.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Care to enlighten me with some stats?
I guess we're chatting from different perspectives - I'm talking as a market share percentage and you're taking sheer numbers.

Dolby

Honorary Master
You have to accept it. I’m right
I just don't feel 165 customers from a single country is a decent size - that's all. XR is sold everywhere, right?

I mean there are more iStores in the US ... so that's not even 1 survey per iStore, which I personally think is not enough. Hell - even the die hard Apple folk on the Apple forums are saying they should have done more.

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
@Dolby. There are no die hard Apple folks anymore. They can't afford it.

And the word 'upgrade' means to me something cheaper, better featured at the same price or more affordable. Re: Upgrading Vodacom contract: a wrong use.