Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Spy over the weekend. It was awful in most aspects but it was really funny in parts and it had a nice message. I reckon because the humour redeemed it from complete schlocky terribleness, it deserved a 6.5, maybe a 7.

I fully get the argument that you have to take a film for what it is, but a bad film with brainless action doesn't get off the hook on its score - the most you can say is, well if you don't care about quality, and just want to turn off your brain, you might enjoy it on that level.



I don't know much of Barry Ronge's stuff but I doubt he does. I rather think he judges slapstick comedies against other, great slapstick movies like Naked Gun or There's Something About Mary, and finds it comes up short by its own yardstick.



I would hope so.

This.

FF is garbage. Enjoying garbage is your own prerogative, but let's not pretend it's not crud.

And Imran, are you saying Vin Diesel wasn't being serious when he said FF7 deserved an Oscar? :p

I think Snyder had one. The result of which was Sucker Punch.

Snap.
 
This.

FF is garbage. Enjoying garbage is your own prerogative, but let's not pretend it's not crud.

And Imran, are you saying Vin Diesel wasn't being serious when he said FF7 deserved an Oscar? :p

Imran isn't pretending those movies aren't crud. He's pointing out why they get enjoyed even though they are.

And by the way, didn't you give Entourage a 7/10? :p
 
Oh and just because Vin Diesel is deluded, doesn't mean the producers of the movies are.. And he must have meant that tongue in cheek, right? :erm:

Been watching some awesome and not so awesome movies at DIFF. My favourite was Necktie Youth. Caught a documentary called Foodies on Saturday, wasn't that great, though I thought I would love it because of the subject matter.

Apart from that, re-watched Saving Private Ryan on Saturday - 8/10

Black Hawk Down last night - 7/10
 
Haven't watched any FF since the original basically because the best scenes are in the trailers and I can make up the soppy sentimental bs in between in my head. I might have gone to see it if we didn't have a lamo pub n grub "casino" black-empowered damp squib where the theatre was.
 
Imran isn't pretending those movies aren't crud. He's pointing out why they get enjoyed even though they are.

And by the way, didn't you give Entourage a 7/10? :p

Well done!!

Entourage - 7/10.

Pretty fun watch. Exactly what you expect (and want) from an Entourage movie.

This is exactly my point. You have managed your expectations and judged it based on what it is meant to be. FF7 needs the same kind of treatment, its what you expect and want from a FF movie
 
Imran isn't pretending those movies aren't crud. He's pointing out why they get enjoyed even though they are.

Oh, absolutely. Wasn't arguing with that.

Randhir said:
And by the way, didn't you give Entourage a 7/10? :p

Yes, 7. Not 8. :D

Well done!!



This is exactly my point. You have managed your expectations and judged it based on what it is meant to be. FF7 needs the same kind of treatment, its what you expect and want from a FF movie

See above. But in that case, a reviewer should qualify his review by giving context. So something like "...in the context of schit movies, and in terms of what one expects, FF7 was pretty good. It delivers where one wants it to."
 
This is exactly my point. You have managed your expectations and judged it based on what it is meant to be. FF7 needs the same kind of treatment, its what you expect and want from a FF movie

Yea I totally get that, all I'm saying is, how can you admit that a movie is really badly made in just about every aspect and still score it 8/10? I reserve high scores for movies that deserve them, for the sake of objectivity, which you completely lack. I'd rather just abstain from giving a score if I guiltily enjoy it even though on every filmic level it's completely awful.

I feel that way about the following movies, for full disclosure:

- The Last Dragon
- Step Up 2 the Streets
- Con-Air
- Howard the Duck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X