MSI GE70 - Heat Problem

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hi,

This is my first post, hope it is in the correct section.

I recently bought an MSI-GE70-2OE039. When playing Crysis 3 or Dirt 3, within 15 minutes the CPU reach temperatures of between 94 & 97 degrees. Are these temperatures normal for the GE70 series laptops?

I've sent the laptop back to the supplier (after they told me it runs to hot and it must go back to the distributor ), but the distributor says it is normal for the laptop to run at those temperatures during gaming.

So the supplier will now just send it back to me again and refuse to get a solution. Wish they told me before I bought this laptop that it will run at those temperatures. I understand now that gaming laptops do get hot, but is 97 degrees normal?

(During testing I did use a cooling pad.)

Thank you for your comments and replies.

MSI GE70 2OE Intel Sharkbay i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz CPU / 12GB DDR3 RAM / 128GB Super RAID (2x 64GB SSDs) + 1TB HDD / Blu-Ray/DVD-RW Combo / 17.3" FHD Anti-Glare LED LCD Screen / nVidia Geforce GTX765M 2GB Graphics / Windows 8 SL

Screenshot (20).jpg

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Way too hot in my opinion, does your MSI-GE70 have some sort of thing called Turbofan?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks for your reply. It has 'Turbo boost' which is similar, I had it on while testing. Doesn't make a difference.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Thanks for your reply. It has 'Turbo boost' which is similar, I had it on while testing. Doesn't make a difference.

Does it get really loud like this video?

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ov2aSwVhyI[/video]

^^Doesnt want to embed.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I think i see your problem, you are using the CPU overclock button (Turbo) which increases your stock clock from 2.4gHz to 3.2 GHZ, that might be causing your high temps, turn turbo off.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Wow, I think that laptop is about to takeoff. It does go louder because the fan runs at full speed, but not so loud that it concerns me.

Pada

Executive Member
Have a look at the review here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GE70-i765M287-Notebook.98244.0.html

It seems to me like they've poorly designed the notebook, because it really cannot handle the high loads in terms of temperatures.

I think if you limit the GPU speed, then your CPU temperatures should also be lower.
In that review, they limited the CPU speed to 900MHz, and it still ran hot when they loaded the GPU.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yes, the Intel boost is on which came standard with the laptop. There is not a button for that. In power saving settings I need to put it on 99% to get 2.4 ghz. Switching it to run at 2.4 ghz drops the temps to between 84-87 degrees within the first 15 min. The laptop is advertised as a gaming laptop and i believe should perform normal even with intel boost.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Well since the 3rd/4th gen CPU's use thermal paste (under the heat spreader) rather than solder, thats why its much hotter than 1/2 Gen CPU's, also they use cheap ass thermal paste on both the CPU and under it.

IMO, I think MSI is a kuk brand, what did you pay for it?

RedViking

Nord of the South
I meant to say 'Cooler Boost', regarding the fan, not 'Turbo Boost'. Sorry.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The supplier actually overcharged me. Unfortunately I didn't know better. Beginning August I paid R25 000, a couple of weeks later they brought their price down to R21,500. Really made me angry.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
If I new they were over charging me and that MSI GE series has rubbish ventilation, I might have gone for the Asus G750 sacrificing a bit of weight for better results.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I paid R25 000

Have you seriously lost your mind? Should have gotten the Asus G750

RedViking

Nord of the South
My other concern is also how long will the laptop last if being used with temperatures like this. Wont it affect the rest of the hardware in the long run?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
get a massive laptop cooler.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3016

will do the job .

I hate using laptop coolers also , but most of times your are forced with a high end laptops.

Thats why i Love my hp envy 14 , small laptop but has dual fans for cooling (hp dv6 series only had one fan , and overheated like mad) , so my temps is around 70c while gaming without a cooler , but performance is not so great because it is 2010 model laptop :(

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
My other concern is also how long will the laptop last if being used with temperatures like this. Wont it affect the rest of the hardware in the long run?

It should be ok, because other components are away from the CPU and GPU, so the temps of other components will be much less, I do suggest you remove the battery and run off AC power (to also preserve the battery and to eliminate damage due to excessive heat) and can you also include temps of your hard drive using CystalDiskInfo

RedViking

Nord of the South
get a massive laptop cooler.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3016

will do the job .

I hate using laptop coolers also , but most of times your are forced with a high end laptops.

Thats why i Love my hp envy 14 , small laptop but has dual fans for cooling (hp dv6 series only had one fan , and overheated like mad) , so my temps is around 70c while gaming without a cooler , but performance is not so great because it is 2010 model laptop :(

I got a laptop cooler with quite a big fan in. I'm still debating weather it is making it worse or better. But maybe Coolermaster might do the job.