MSI GE70 - Heat Problem

RedViking

Nord of the South
It should be ok, because other components are away from the CPU and GPU, so the temps of other components will be much less

Thanks for the tip on the battery, haven't thought of that. I just wish they told me before I bought this laptop that it is going to run that hot. But they probably had a lack of knowledge and now they don't care.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I got a laptop cooler with quite a big fan in. I'm still debating weather it is making it worse or better. But maybe Coolermaster might do the job.

go and buy it a retail store and test it , will be expensive , but then you can give it back within 7 days to get your money back!

techead

Honorary Master
I almost pulled the trigger on one of these... :erm:

went with the Toshiba instead

RedViking

Nord of the South
I need to make a correction since my first statement. The supplier is willing to give me a another notebook brand in the same price class. But unfortunately all of the other notebooks have lower specs or is out of stock. The distributor is now looking at re-pasting the CPU / GPU and I hope for better results. Seems like the GE70 is known for heat issues. If you are willing to wait longer and spend a couple of bucks extra, I believe there are better options. Will send an update again on the performance soon.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have received my notebook again after they said they've replaced the thermal paste. Temperatures are still the same. What I've noticed is that when the CPU reaches 85 degrees it drops from 3.2 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and stays there. I've tested it on Need for Speed World & on Crysis 3. Will do more tests just to make sure. Cooler boost running and a cooling pad.

techead

Honorary Master
I have received my notebook again after they said they've replaced the thermal paste. Temperatures are still the same. What I've noticed is that when the CPU reaches 85 degrees it drops from 3.2 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and stays there. I've tested it on Need for Speed World & on Crysis 3. Will do more tests just to make sure. Cooler boost running and a cooling pad.

It's probably some kind of management to keep the heat down. If it stays up at 3.2 then your cpu goes up to 90's??

If you are getting good FPS in games, then why dont you consider underclocking the CPU/GPU

Might save you some hassle.

Tun@

Expert Member
Take a look here:Temps dropped about 9 degrees Celsius.

AS5 = Arctic Silver

Perhaps ask the distributors what they used when they did the repaste & see if it was something decent.IC Diamond would be another good one to use
Its single fan design for a "gaming" laptop? - perhaps take a look at Clevo next time -
MSI design vrs the Clevo

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks to @gamer16 I am reviving my first post on MyBB. :laugh::laugh:

I still have this laptop and it runs hot as hell but can still play most of the latest games. I also do renderings on it when not at my PC. One of the hinges is broken and there is a blue line on the screen. But it still goes strong!

I wish sometimes it was stolen so I can get something nice for 20K (+ add another 10K). Something NON-MSI.

What are aftermarket notebook displays like?

Jase

Executive Member
I have a GE72 and my CPU runs at 89 no matter what game I play and the CPU usage rarely goes above 60% or so. That CPU fan (which I've replaced once already) remains on even if the temp drops down to the 50's (Note: The fan was off of eBay and is Non-OEM).

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have a GE72 and my CPU runs at 89 no matter what game I play and the CPU usage rarely goes above 60% or so. That CPU fan (which I've replaced once already) remains on even if the temp drops down to the 50's (Note: The fan was off of eBay and is Non-OEM).
They do run hot. When I bought the thing I had no idea what I was doing or anything about gaming notebooks. It is in fact normal for a gaming notebook to run hot. The vent just sits on the wrong side for this notebook. If I buy again I will get one where the vents goes to the back.

Jase

Executive Member
They do run hot. When I bought the thing I had no idea what I was doing or anything about gaming notebooks. It is in fact normal for a gaming notebook to run hot. The vent just sits on the wrong side for this notebook. If I buy again I will get one where the vents goes to the back.
The GE72 has two vents at the back.

I'm going to fiddle with an EC and BIOS update as well as running a few games in balanced mode and see what happens. I guess I am due for an upgrade but the 970M still seems to run most games at medium fine. I also seem to have lost quite a bit of interest in gaming of late hence the reluctance to spend R20K-R30K on a new laptop.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The GE72 has two vents at the back.

I'm going to fiddle with an EC and BIOS update as well as running a few games in balanced mode and see what happens. I guess I am due for an upgrade but the 970M still seems to run most games at medium fine. I also seem to have lost quite a bit of interest in gaming of late hence the reluctance to spend R20K-R30K on a new laptop.
Vents at the back is nice. I'll only get something else if mine gets stolen or accidentally falls and breaks beyond repair. :sneaky:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thanks to @gamer16 I am reviving my first post on MyBB. :laugh::laugh:

I still have this laptop and it runs hot as hell but can still play most of the latest games. I also do renderings on it when not at my PC. One of the hinges is broken and there is a blue line on the screen. But it still goes strong!

I wish sometimes it was stolen so I can get something nice for 20K (+ add another 10K). Something NON-MSI.

What are aftermarket notebook displays like?
It's definitely too old for insurance to give you R20k lol.

That thing is like your profile picture, looked like a unicorn but was actually a resurrected Viking with a bone thrust into its head. :p