MTN 1TB deals

unobeat

A little update..... @I.am.Sam @RedViking @netstrider

So i have contacted MTN corp who i am currently with.. on monday i did this..
At first they had no idea which package i was talking about, But after a few days they "found" the package.. (Yea.. dont ask me how that works)

So i chose the R399 110gig + 110gig Fixed LTE package... month to month sim deal
Got an SMS late last night saying it has been approved etc.. Courier company will be in touch with me etc etc..

Soooo lets see how it goes then?:unsure:
Thanks for the feedback as i am also looking into these deals since i need more data and Rain network has terribly become useless.

Which number did you call to order this package?
Is the above package without a router?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
A little update..... @I.am.Sam @RedViking @netstrider

So i have contacted MTN corp who i am currently with.. on monday i did this..
At first they had no idea which package i was talking about, But after a few days they "found" the package.. (Yea.. dont ask me how that works)

So i chose the R399 110gig + 110gig Fixed LTE package... month to month sim deal

Got an SMS late last night saying it has been approved etc.. Courier company will be in touch with me etc etc..

Soooo lets see how it goes then?:unsure:
And the router?

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback as i am also looking into these deals since i need more data and Rain network has terribly become useless.

And the router?
I have a contact via work as we get some specials with MTN, so this is the same people who work with us here.
No specific number in general really.

Its MTN corporate (Business)

I was specifically told that i can use my existing B525 router..

Last edited:

netstrider

Expert Member
I have a contact via work as we get some specials with MTN, so this is the same people who work with us here.
No specific number in general really.

Its MTN corporate (Business)

I was specifically told that i can use my existing B525 router..
Just to clarify, was this router originally procured through another MTN deal or did you buy it outright or received from another ISP?

netstrider

Expert Member
The router i have was from a Telkom deal of the month about 4 years ago.
Thanks. Good to know.

On a side note, I'm interested to do some tests with my MTN 40GB deal in my B818. It's the mychoice so not tower locked so should work very well.

For anyone that does get the sim-only deal somewhere around Gauteng, I'm willing to bring the B818 to test, however, according to Afrihost it won't work.

Not sure if it will lock the sim or something if tried in an officially unsupported router. Just very strange that MTN is still only officially supporting the older router models.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Thanks. Good to know.

On a side note, I'm interested to do some tests with my MTN 40GB deal in my B818. It's the mychoice so not tower locked so should work very well.

For anyone that does get the sim-only deal somewhere around Gauteng, I'm willing to bring the B818 to test, however, according to Afrihost it won't work.

Not sure if it will lock the sim or something if tried in an officially unsupported router. Just very strange that MTN is still only officially supporting the older router models.
Personally i think they using the older routers to mitigate higher speeds, we all know MTN network is amazing and can get super speedy.. maybe its to keep the speeds down to cater for others on the same towers etc..?
i could be wrong but just thinking out loud

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master

so many complaints about rain

i tried it once and got below 1mb DL speeds and never did again

some guys are on the highest package and are getting 1mb DL speeds

@ReeceDBN031 awesome stuff ..it should work on your router

how lucky would you be if it works and no one locks it in your router

then you must get me a sim :) ...its month to month so if i dont pay you cut it :p

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
Thanks. Good to know.

whats the diff with all these routers

i have a old 593 and b315

and they work perfect for me

netstrider

Expert Member
whats the diff with all these routers

i have a old 593 and b315

and they work perfect for me
4x4 or 8x8 MIMO, support for 3CA and whatnot. Bigger chipsets so theoretically speedier devices.

Bands also play a role, for example B618s-22d does not support 2300Mhz for Telkom.

Nothing wrong with the old routers though. I'd like to test purely out of curiousity and if it works then hey, the community here have an answer.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
so many complaints about rain

i tried it once and got below 1mb DL speeds and never did again

some guys are on the highest package and are getting 1mb DL speeds

@ReeceDBN031 awesome stuff ..it should work on your router

how lucky would you be if it works and no one locks it in your router

then you must get me a sim :) ...its month to month so if i dont pay you cut it :p
Lol ill see how it goes first.. hopefully its a smooth process and no suprises

Jake45

Expert Member
Can anybody confirm whether these cheap month to month deals without a router are available to the general public?

I think they may only be available to MTN Business customers but nobody seems sure at the moment. The prices are really good if you can actually purchase them without a router.