MTN Apple Watch activation nightmare

firespider

I bought an Apple watch cellular in April and have not be able to active the cellular functionality on the MTN network since. This is the error message that shows up: IMG_9715637D3051-1.jpeg
I have been messaging MTN via various channels since April. Every time I follow up with them I just get a generic "we appologise and will give feedback soon". I really am not sure what else I can do here. Has anyone else had this issue with MTN?

3WA

Honorary Master
What iPhone model?

edit: I've had a similar problem (Apple Watch SE cellular) and through sheer bloody-mindedness, I managed to speak to someone at MTN who knows a little bit. The iPhone model is important - they can't activate my watch's eSim because I only have an iPhone 8.

Last edited:

chrisc

Honorary Master
Watch

Friend had the same hassle. He changed to Vodacom and it worked immediately

Thor

Honorary Master
Change to Telkom they have eSIM that works.

firespider

What iPhone model?

edit: I've had a similar problem (Apple Watch SE cellular) and through sheer bloody-mindedness, I managed to speak to someone at MTN who knows a little bit. The iPhone model is important - they can't activate my watch's eSim because I only have an iPhone 8.
It's also an Apple Watch SE cellular but I have an iPhone 11 Pro.

Thor

Honorary Master
As in Telkom eSim is on it's own, like a normal prepaid sim, you walk in ask for eSim, they FICA you and give you the voucher (eSim code).

Done, you are a Telkom client now with a Telkom number which you can do prepaid or go contract later on.

The eSim is not tied to anything.

FerdieD

Did you find a solution?

I am getting the same error message: "Your MTN account is not eligible to enable mobile data on your Apple Watch. Contact MTN for more information."

I have the iPhone 13 Mini and Apple Watch SE and I am on a contract.

The MTN call center could not help me.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 16.00.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 16.00.31.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 21

Moemulla

Hi guys, I have the same issue with MTN, just got an iPhone 13 and Series 7 Cellular but I get the same error message on my phone when trying to activate? How can I resolve this? The MTN store guys are clueless and reading the FAQ on their website. Customer care have no idea as well. I prefer not to move over to vodacom or telkom

Slamz

Hi guys, I have the same issue with MTN, just got an iPhone 13 and Series 7 Cellular but I get the same error message on my phone when trying to activate? How can I resolve this? The MTN store guys are clueless and reading the FAQ on their website. Customer care have no idea as well. I prefer not to move over to vodacom or telkom
Same problem here mate... i just gave up... MTN dont know what the hell they doing.. thinking i may take up the telkom or vodacom esim and carry on

hackus17

Same problem here mate... i just gave up... MTN dont know what the hell they doing.. thinking i may take up the telkom or vodacom esim and carry on
I have a MTN contract on my phone, but after spending over a year trying to find competent MTN staff, I gave up and got the Telkom eSim for my watch. It works really well for my use case, when I go walking out or exercising, my family knows they can reach me on my Telkom watch number, and I get notifications through the data connection as well

Edit: Plus I can make outgoing calls as well when I load Telkom airtime, which is also a big help

Spizz

Goat Botherer

Unfortunately my wife has the same issue on Vodacom and we also gave up. We both have SE watches, mine 44mm her 40mm. Mine works great, hers goes round in circles like the OP.

Slamz

I have a MTN contract on my phone, but after spending over a year trying to find competent MTN staff, I gave up and got the Telkom eSim for my watch. It works really well for my use case, when I go walking out or exercising, my family knows they can reach me on my Telkom watch number, and I get notifications through the data connection as well

Edit: Plus I can make outgoing calls as well when I load Telkom airtime, which is also a big help
i think i may go this route... got a telkom contract as well, can maybe transfer airtime and data from that to the esim

Moemulla

Finally, after over a month, MTN managed to activate my eSim on my apple watch. I went to my local MTN store and found a very helpful consultant. Though it was the first time that he or any of his branch colleagues witnessed this error. He called the head office and logged a call to assist with my account. He continued to follow up with the call for over a month, even placing a new call when the initial call was first closed. Last week the problem remained. Yesterday I randomly went to see if the problem continued, however I was now able to set up the esim. Thereafter followed a quick activation process and a day later my apple watch is connected via eSim.
Not sure what the problem was. Perhaps we had to wait for month to pass by for changes to take effect.
1649070000901.jpg