MTN Black Friday Discussions

Dan C

Honorary Master
Someone on my whatsapp group said that mtn does not allow tethering on this. Anyone can confirm?

Who knows what MTN will do with this offer. Probably also throttle you to 0.0003 mbps :D

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I signed up. Received my base contract minutes, sms and data. But no promo 50 gigs and 10 000 minutes yet. I called 808 and they said they still busy loading the promos (Im assuming there is a high volume). I was told to give it a few hours and check again. Can anyone let me know if they got their promo data and minutes, as well as how long it took after getting the sms confirming the upgrade?

Crusader

Expert Member
Are you guys sure about this deal? Just phoned 808 and the consultant said that it's not 50GB per month, but you get 50GB valid for 10 months.

Mentalchaoz

I signed up. Received my base contract minutes, sms and data. But no promo 50 gigs and 10 000 minutes yet. I called 808 and they said they still busy loading the promos (Im assuming there is a high volume). I was told to give it a few hours and check again. Can anyone let me know if they got their promo data and minutes, as well as how long it took after getting the sms confirming the upgrade?

I was told to wait until Monday.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Are you guys sure about this deal? Just phoned 808 and the consultant said that it's not 50GB per month, but you get 50GB valid for 10 days.

FTFY :crylaugh:

Nah, it's suppose to be 24 month.

Mentalchaoz

Are you guys sure about this deal? Just phoned 808 and the consultant said that it's not 50GB per month, but you get 50GB valid for 10 months.

My colleague got a written note from the store, I'm not sure how much legal force can it hold.

Crusader

Expert Member
Okay, I think I give up. Attempted multiple times to upgrade my contract via 808 to take advantage of this Black Friday deal, but the consultants are clueless.
Consultant A. Did not know about promotion, only one that's 50GB for 10 months for all upgrades. Second said it was only for new LTE devices, 3rd said I need to go to my nearest store to upgrade (270km away).

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Damn, this is one black friday deal I'm actually disappointed at missing out on. This would have made a great internet option.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Tethering is allowed, they make it a point that there's no MTN to MTN data sharing which is something else. The consultant made sure to say both of the above to me.
Got the application done way before 5 but didn't get a call back, is anyone still waiting for a call back for confirmation?

Dean01

Tethering is allowed, they make it a point that there's no MTN to MTN data sharing which is something else. The consultant made sure to say both of the above to me.
Got the application done way before 5 but didn't get a call back, is anyone still waiting for a call back for confirmation?
Still waiting for vetting. Store says that no one was completed by day end. Hopefully over the weekend tomorrow

mh348

Expert Member

I was told it would be loaded within 7 days

MidnightZA

Expert Member
If I apply online for a contract today would it be eligible for the promo? There are deals on the mtn store that says deals expires in X amount of hours

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Meh mobile data, Im pretty sure the only time I use actual mobile data is when Im driving, all other times I have wifi.

Mentalchaoz

Meh mobile data, Im pretty sure the only time I use actual mobile data is when Im driving, all other times I have wifi.
You are very lucky to live in a area where broadband options are available. I live in an area where no cables can come in and all towers seem to abandon us from the start. MTN is the only option I have left. This is a life saver for some of us.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm already on MTN and I'm due for an upgrade, but I didn't bother with this. I buy my phones prepaid and use a R79pm sim contract to just have a functional device when I'm out and about, with extra data from Afrihost that works seamlessly on MTN. Less than R149pm. I usually use less than 200MB mobile data every month, as I'm almost always on WiFi and only need mobile bandwidth for occasional Googling and navigation.

You are very lucky to live in a area where broadband options are available. I live in an area where no cables can come in and all towers seem to abandon us from the start. MTN is the only option I have left. This is a life saver for some of us.

Jesus. Where do you live?

Mentalchaoz

I'm already on MTN and I'm due for an upgrade, but I didn't bother with this. I buy my phones prepaid and use a R79pm sim contract to just have a functional device when I'm out and about, with extra data from Afrihost that works seamlessly on MTN. Less than R149pm. I usually use less than 200MB mobile data every month, as I'm almost always on WiFi and only need mobile bandwidth for occasional Googling and navigation.

Jesus. Where do you live?
Only pay for what you need, if R79 works for you, then it would be a waste to get this contract. Funny enough that I live in Fourways where fibre runs across in front of my garden. However due to the lack of maintenance, my complex is not able to draw any wire into each house (this includes Telkom). And because I live on a hill, so all receptions are terrible. I have tried all major networks and MTN seems to do the magic (still no LTE, just 3G). This is the only black Friday deal that I opened my wallet for, which actually makes sense to my situation.