MTN does not respect the "STOP" instruction wrt SMS spam

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Dear @Newsfeed (cc @rpm and @Jan ),

I have a suggestion for an article with proof in support of my claim that MTN does not tolerate customers unsubscribing from their spam.

You recently did an article where the networks denied nefariously cashing in on WASP fraud. That got me thinking about other ways they cash in and/or do not respect their customers.

In my case I get these SMS's from MTN asking me to top-up or buy certain bundles etc:

IMG_0262.jpgIMG_0263.jpgIMG_0264.jpg

I know that I can simply block their number on my phone, but that does not have to be the way. They have an option at the end of the SMS saying SMS "STOP" to 30246. This I do, every time after receiving one of their SMS's:

IMG_0265.jpg

And each time I get a response back saying that I have been removed from their marketing list:

IMG_0266.jpgIMG_0267.jpg

Invariably, a few days later, it starts again as you can see. Now is this not a violation of some direct marketing legislation/regulation?

Is Shingi Mushipe their head of marketing? Is that why the stop/unsubscribe option does not work? Would you be so kind as to write an article and ask MTN what do they have to say for themselves?

I thank you.

Nobody Important.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master

I have a suggestion for an article with proof in support of my claim that MTN does not tolerate customers unsubscribing from their spam.

You recently did an article where the networks denied nefariously cashing in on WASP fraud. That got me thinking about other ways they cash in and/or do not respect their customers.

In my case I get these SMS's from MTN asking me to top-up or buy certain bundles etc:

View attachment 676785View attachment 676787View attachment 676789

I know that I can simply block their number on my phone, but that does not have to be the way. They have an option at the end of the SMS saying SMS "STOP" to 30246. This I do, every time after receiving one of their SMS's:

View attachment 676791

And each time I get a response back saying that I have been removed from their marketing list:

View attachment 676793View attachment 676795

Invariably, a few days later, it starts again as you can see. Now is this not a violation of some direct marketing legislation/regulation?

Is Shingi Mushipe their head of marketing? Is that why the stop/unsubscribe option does not work? Would you be so kind as to write an article and ask MTN what do they have to say for themselves?

I thank you.

Nobody Important.
They really should fire the current "staff writers" and appoint you.

marioat1

Expert Member

View attachment 676785View attachment 676787View attachment 676789

View attachment 676791

View attachment 676793View attachment 676795

I thank you.

Nobody Important.
Open your mymtn app and select your marketing consent options. Go via mtn services tab

PhireSide

Executive Member
They must have seen your name and thought, ag, we won't bother, he's Nobody Important...

Hope you come right with them. Nothing I hate more than spam from companies that never stops despite opting out.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Open your mymtn app and select your marketing consent options. Go via mtn services tab
I will give this a shot. Why they don't just say this in their SMS's instead of having that non-functional "SMS stop" line then is beyond me. Let us see if I still get their spam after doing the above.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
On contract you get about 2 messages a year. Change to prepaid and you get 2 message a hour. I also did the opt out, stop, MTN App. Tokk about a month before they started to disappear. MTN still feels the need to send out marketing crap about once a week.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
On contract you get about 2 messages a year. Change to prepaid and you get 2 message a hour. I also did the opt out, stop, MTN App. Tokk about a month before they started to disappear. MTN still feels the need to send out marketing crap about once a week.
You are right. This rubbish started when I converted two of my contracts to prepaid.

The question to MTN still remains though, why do their systems not respect the STOP sms?

grok

Honorary Master
SOT but worse is Vodacom sending me 'do you want to buy this extra 30meg for R5' or some schit like that when I've just bought a 5gb bundle for the month..

netcruiser

You are right. This rubbish started when I converted two of my contracts to prepaid.

The question to MTN still remains though, why do their systems not respect the STOP sms?
I have a dozens of messages with the MTN help desk where I tried to get them to stop sending me these spam. They sent me about twenty codes I had to type to unsubscribe, and I still got the spam. After the helpdesk messages got escalated three times and I threatened to take them to ICASA, the messages finally stopped, for now.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I have a dozens of messages with the MTN help desk where I tried to get them to stop sending me these spam. They sent me about twenty codes I had to type to unsubscribe, and I still got the spam. After the helpdesk messages got escalated three times and I threatened to take them to ICASA, the messages finally stopped, for now.
That confirms that their system does not actually recognize and respect their own "do not market" list, and requires manual intervention. Is it by design or perhaps a "flaw" that they are happy to ignore?

I hope @Newsfeed does take this up.

hj007

Yep also get these messages, have sent lots of STOPs to their SMS number with responses, am on the optout database, and have done the requested stops via USSD. None of it matters, by design they continue to SPAM.