MTN permanently shuts down 53 cell towers

Rabobi

Executive Member
Look im in no way supporting these criminals, but i dont seem to understand why nobody accuses mtn of a crime when they charge people R149 a gig, but now because someone is stealing from them its ruffling everyone's feathers. Think about it, today when you get home your family will be safe and your items not stolen because the criminals are stealing mtn batteries, dont worry about mtn they can replace batteries for years to come over and over, be glad the same criminals are not inside your house when you get home!
Jesus GIVE IT A FKING REST

Enbers M

Can't they engrave their logo in the batteries?
“But even worse, 53 base stations have been completely destroyed and have had to be terminated nationally – 39 in Tshwane and 15 in Johannesburg.”

Someone please teach mtn to count properly...

noxibox

Honorary Master
The problem comes in people are happily paying the R149 so its not robbery.
Begrudgingly, considering how often people complain about the cost of mobile data in South Africa.

Why would anyone invest in this shithole county?
Big risk, big rewards. Same reason there are people who mop up tanking stocks. High risk and potential lose the entire investment, but when it pays of the return is huge.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Human poo also has lots of potential for energy generation. That doesn't mean I would want to spend millions on preventing it from going down the toilet.
You are right, you need to earn it first :thumbsup:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yup.. resellers and buyers are oblivious.

Personally i think they need to make it destruct post install such that the manufacture has to replace internal parts and re-sleeve/package to make it work. That way you can happily steal it but the battery will be useless.
I have a solution for them if they have a tender for me :)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Look im in no way supporting these criminals, but i dont seem to understand why nobody accuses mtn of a crime when they charge people R149 a gig, but now because someone is stealing from them its ruffling everyone's feathers. Think about it, today when you get home your family will be safe and your items not stolen because the criminals are stealing mtn batteries, dont worry about mtn they can replace batteries for years to come over and over, be glad the same criminals are not inside your house when you get home!
Err... you're free to not use MTN.

Daruk

Honorary Master

True.. but this is South Africa, the people buying really don't care and justify to themselves by saying gov / others doing x, y, z so why not. ie. its basically the same stupid logic used in traffic.

By making the battery self destruct on tamper post installation you kill off the industry of re-selling it. Plain and simple.. I really don't understand why they haven't done something like this yet.
They can't even prevent people climbing poles to steal solar panels by installing razor wire in case someone is injured. The law supports the perps unfortunately. If one of those caught fire and destroyed a home, the MNF or supplier could be in for a lawsuit. Also, those batteries are expensive as they are, to add that to the mix specifically for our market would make them ridiculously expensive. That said, the insurance costs must be high.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Do these sites not have armed response? I understand out in the middle of nowhere but they mention Tshwane and Johannesburg
They do. Watch the Carte Blanche epsiode posted above.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Human poo also has lots of potential for energy generation. That doesn't mean I would want to spend millions on preventing it from going down the toilet.
It's risk to reward ratio. Usually the investors don't live in the same environment as the implementers so it doesn't impact on them in the same way. If you think MTN is in the red because of this you need to relook at their bottom line.

Origin248

At R350 million to repair a base station I think maybe they need to get a competitive quote.
Cost to MTN != cost to replace. Just means that MTN thinks it's lost around R350 in damages and revenue lost. Also not ONE base station even if you assume that R350 is to replace 53 sites.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
“But even worse, 53 base stations have been completely destroyed and have had to be terminated nationally – 39 in Tshwane and 15 in Johannesburg.”

Someone please teach mtn to count properly...
One disappeared down a worm hole.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
Get rid of the humans and automate everything using IoT. There is a significant amount of insiders at the operators benefiting by providing info about where and how to hit the base stations.

Milano

Honorary Master
If I had a R350 mil asset I would have a security guard, wouldn't you??
Surely this figure is wrong

Do these sites not have armed response? I understand out in the middle of nowhere but they mention Tshwane and Johannesburg
Yeah the only way that cost would be true is if MTN was an SOE and the Guptas held the service contract.

Bad1

If I had a R350 mil asset I would have a security guard, wouldn't you??
Surely this figure is wrong

They dont want to spend on security, this will impact shareholders in other countries negatively.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Nobody steeling from Vodacom or any of the others?
YES!!! And it has taken more than a year of persuasion to get them to replace the battery. Supposedly it has been done now, but no way to test it until the next power outage.

Bad1

Mtn and vodacom say this will impact the consumer negatively, so if we own businesses and get robbed, should we also put the price of bread and other food items up?
Lets turn the tables :
International bandwidth prices have decreased marginally over the last 6years,but mtn and vodacom held the price of one gig at R149, so now when profits take a hit suddenly the consumer must pay for theft?

Mtn and vodacom never did anything about crime rate in South Africa, these 2 company's make billions in profit, they are in a position to invest in community policing, cameras, armed guards in high crime areas, but do you think any of theses networks care if your property is stolen?
So if you see a person stealing batteries turn the other cheek and be glad those criminals are not breaking into your house or hi jacking you, unless you the lucky one that gets call from vodascum and mtn crap asking how u doing, batteries can be replaced over and over human life cannot

martinplaska

They dont want to spend on security, this will impact shareholders in other countries negatively.

MTN has +-14000 sites in South Africa 1 security guard for each.

R7000 per month = R98 Million per month, R1,76 Billion a year, no one can afford to pay that.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Mtn and vodacom say this will impact the consumer negatively, so if we own businesses and get robbed, should we also put the price of bread and other food items up?
If you can afford to fund the loss, then you're free to do so, but it's a free world (for now). Nobody can force you to put prices up or not in a private business.
Lets turn the tables :
International bandwidth prices have decreased marginally over the last 6years,but mtn and vodacom held the price of one gig at R149, so now when profits take a hit suddenly the consumer must pay for theft?
What do international prices coming down have to do with the SA market? I'm not saying MTN and Vodacom can't do better, I'm saying it's not their fault our market is the way it is. We have an "independent" communications authority who can dictate certain parameters to make a more enabling market for competition. They need to get their finger out of their bottom.

Mtn and vodacom never did anything about crime rate in South Africa, these 2 company's make billions in profit, they are in a position to invest in community policing, cameras, armed guards in high crime areas, but do you think any of theses networks care if your property is stolen?
What does your private company do about the crime rate in SA so that my life can be improved?
So if you see a person stealing batteries turn the other cheek and be glad those criminals are not breaking into your house or hi jacking you, unless you the lucky one that gets call from vodascum and mtn crap asking how u doing, batteries can be replaced over and over human life cannot
Who's asking you to catch thieves? What are you smoking?