MTN Unrestricted APN

spotify

Hi

Does anyone know what MTN unrestricted APN would be?

I have a MTN Sim and LTE Router which i used before for port forwarding of my CCTV. However router has packed up and unable to pull settings of it.

If anyone could assist would highly be appreciated.

Lostboy

Hi

Does anyone know what MTN unrestricted APN would be?

I have a MTN Sim and LTE Router which i used before for port forwarding of my CCTV. However router has packed up and unable to pull settings of it.

If anyone could assist would highly be appreciated.
It's MTNVPN but you'll have to call their data call centre to active it on the sim.

Lostboy

Thanks Lostboy will give it a try as MTN call centre does not know what i am talking about:X3:
That's common Spotify, their data call centre is closed from 5 and the"general" one most times does not know that's going on.

The data call centre number is 083 1 555 (I think).

Stevewarren

I've used Mtnvpn for awhile. You definitely have to call them so that they activate it. I get worse latency though using it. So if you guys get it to work can you check your ping and post it here.

My normal MTN apn gets 20-30ms ping
My open Mtnvpn apn gets 45-55ms ping

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I managed to get it resolved with the following settings if you still need it. attached screenshot.
View attachment 563697
Did you leave the password field blank when creating the profile or did they give you a unique password?

They say they activated it for me but I can't get through to anyone that can give me the APN details. 083135 sends me to 083555 and vice versa.

Tried MTNVPN as above without a password and it doesn't connect.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Did you leave the password field blank when creating the profile or did they give you a unique password?

They say they activated it for me but I can't get through to anyone that can give me the APN details. 083135 sends me to 083555 and vice versa.

Tried MTNVPN as above without a password and it doesn't connect.
Phone 135 (use to be 1555), ask them to enable MTN VPN on the number, then change APN on your device to MTNVPN with no username/password, it should work, if not, give them 24h, then call again, it normally work in less than 30min after requesting.

IMG_5004.JPG

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Phone 135 (use to be 1555), ask them to enable MTN VPN on the number, then change APN on your device to MTNVPN with no username/password, it should work, if not, give them 24h, then call again, it normally work in less than 30min after requesting.

View attachment 598866
Thanks.

MTNVPN with no username and password isn't working for me (Doesn't connect). Restarted the router multiple times too and it's been an hour since they said they supposedly activated it.

Will wait till Monday and call them again. When I mentioned MTNVPN to them this morning they kept saying they don't provide a VPN even after telling them that that's the name of the APN.

Switched to asking for the "Unrestricted APN" to be activated and then they knew what I was talking about but couldn't give me the APN details so I don't think they activated the right thing...

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Sigh, so annoyed with these ****tards right now.

Was on the phone with them for over an hour today going back and forth between different departments and trying different numbers that they'd given me (135, 136, 1555, 808, 173) but no one knew what the unrestricted APN is. Some claimed they knew and "reactivated" it but couldn't give me the APN details (MTNVPN) so I asked to be transferred to a different agent and this went on for a while. Others just gave me another number to dial.

Furthermore, I could only get through to an actual person from my contract SIM and then asking to be transferred to prepaid because when calling from the prepaid number it doesn't give any option to speak to an agent - all the responses are automated. The one agent even told me to just keep trying all the options in the menu until I get through because she doesn't know what else to say - I mean really now? You expect me to go through all 30+ options because your system is designed so **** and that's acceptable to you?

Eventually got through to a supervisor (after holding for ~10 minutes) who tells me that I need to contact the prepaid technical department on the numbers above :mad: Explained the above issue where the responses are automated to her and she said they would need to investigate it and get back to me so will wait and see.

Why do they make it so difficult? It's so easy on Vodacom.

Last edited: