MWEB ADSL - international connectivity downtime explained

valmore

I doubt that one can dig up roads and lay cables along the routes one may wish, I guess the municipality has some say. The fact than most (all?) users were up within an hour indicates that there are in fact redundant paths.

+1

Oracle666

My 1 question is: So redundant lines were dug from Victory Park to the Neotel Data centre in Midrand, why on earth would you lay two cables right next to each other? Does logic not tell you to use a different route for the cables ? It's the same as taking those two lines and plugging it into 1 switch/router, there is no redundancy unless you use a separate physical path. Something as important as your Seacom connectivity should not be with out full Redundancy!

Victory Park is where the MWEB office is (last I checked), so that was probably the meeting point.

guest2013-1

I think everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room:

South African Government's lack of responsibility when electricity/telecom/water get interrupted due to some form of road work or maintenance being performed. They have the city's plans. They know where these cables/water-ways are, yet there is almost always a disruption when some monkey goes ahead and severs a connection or hits a pipe. Why have on-site guys who's job it is to specifically AVOID these situations by keeping their team informed and looking out for issues like this if they don't do their jobs?

Sure, accidents happen, but it would appear that the roadworks team are more accident prone than any other kind of government agency out there. (I'm ignoring the fact they most probably outsource these jobs anyway)

You'd think an important job like that (where you could literally affect your countries economy), would warrant some form of caution from these idiots put in charge and given jobs to do...

Kabal

The clowns in my dorp cut the telephones lines while working on the water pipes... Dont ask , i did not either TIA. Well done mweb on the transparency .. If this was telkom , we would just hear Eish! Haibo! Seriaaas? Then nothing would get done. Mweb understands loss of clients, unhappy clients = less money . Telkom on the other hand looks for a scape goat. Loss of income? Telkom? Never we just up the line rental....

Bloogle

MWEB DOWN AGAIN ??? I smell a rat here, its the same time it wen down yesterday