MWEB Connect Acceptable Usage Policy (Unethical Sales Tactic)

Ril

Has anyone else gotten this "nice" message from MWEB?

Here it is:

Dear MWEB Customer

We want to ensure you get the best possible Internet experience, by managing the quality of our network. We monitor the usage on our network and make sure that customers are not abusing certain defined parameters. This is in line with our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Your usage is currently exceeding these parameters and your connection is placing strain on the network. You will experience slower connection speeds while we manage your bandwidth usage. As soon as your usage patterns stabilise, your connection speeds will return to normal.

Here are some tips to avoid excessive usage:

Don't leave your connection running all day (downloading heavy content)
Know who is using your Internet connection and make sure it's secure
Or, upgrade to another MWEB package. Based on your current usage patterns, we recommend the following product for you: Click here

Kind regards
The MWEB Team

1. Did not even have my name at the top
  2. Did not include account details
  3. Has link to arbitrary site that suggests an ALL INCLUSIVE 10Mbps sign-up

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Has anyone else gotten this "nice" message from MWEB?

Here it is:

Dear MWEB Customer

We want to ensure you get the best possible Internet experience, by managing the quality of our network. We monitor the usage on our network and make sure that customers are not abusing certain defined parameters. This is in line with our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Your usage is currently exceeding these parameters and your connection is placing strain on the network. You will experience slower connection speeds while we manage your bandwidth usage. As soon as your usage patterns stabilise, your connection speeds will return to normal.

Here are some tips to avoid excessive usage:

Don't leave your connection running all day (downloading heavy content)
Know who is using your Internet connection and make sure it's secure
Or, upgrade to another MWEB package. Based on your current usage patterns, we recommend the following product for you: Click here

Kind regards
The MWEB Team

Good MOrning Ril,

If you feel that the email may be Spam related, please email abuse@mweb.com and we will confirm this for you.

You could also private message me your MWEB account details and I will have a look at your account.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I think the purpose was to kindly let you know that you're being throttled, instead of you wondering why your connection is slow, having to phone Telkom/MWEB, etc.

FYI:

EvoBunny

Haha... wish I could reach that soft cap, even with constant downloading of HD content I struggle to achieve more than 240GB of data transfer with mweb on my 4 meg premium uncapped account... but with another ISP I seem to achieve it, must be an mweb thing :whistling: that is, restricting people and expecting them to upgrade to give them more money...

Ril

@PostmanPot

My data usage over the last couple of months have been the consistent (mapped the 30 day rolling window).

This is the first time I've ever received such a notification and that my line speed has been so severely affected.

Speed Test Results:
Download Speed: 37 kbps (4.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 368 kbps (46 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 35 ms

On another note - what is the rolling window figures for Afrihost Uncapped and Business DSL - is it posted somewhere?

Belligerence

@PostmanPot

My data usage over the last couple of months have been the consistent (mapped the 30 day rolling window).

This is the first time I've ever received such a notification and that my line speed has been so severely affected.

Speed Test Results:

On another note - what is the rolling window figures for Afrihost Uncapped and Business DSL - is it posted somewhere?
Qouted from Afrihost

We do not use pre-defined download thresholds, so there is no "target" amount. Our QoS policy is implemented on the basis of available capacity, and not on set values.

We split our Uncapped user base into groups according to their usage patterns (not threshold totals) and this determines the degree to which their downloads receive priority. This is dynamically managed, though if the user does not move in between groups, the downloads speeds may appear constant. But there is no way to predict download speeds as they can potentially change at any given moment, based on available capacity.

EvoBunny

Qouted from Afrihost

We do not use pre-defined download thresholds, so there is no "target" amount. Our QoS policy is implemented on the basis of available capacity, and not on set values.

We split our Uncapped user base into groups according to their usage patterns (not threshold totals) and this determines the degree to which their downloads receive priority. This is dynamically managed, though if the user does not move in between groups, the downloads speeds may appear constant. But there is no way to predict download speeds as they can potentially change at any given moment, based on available capacity.

Thanks... This sounds like a much fairer model that set values :)

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
@PostmanPot

Speed Test Results:

Thanks for providing me all the data via private message.

I have responded accordingly and I hope that the information helps in future.

Have a good day!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Haha... wish I could reach that soft cap, even with constant downloading of HD content I struggle to achieve more than 240GB of data transfer with mweb on my 4 meg premium uncapped account... but with another ISP I seem to achieve it, must be an mweb thing :whistling: that is, restricting people and expecting them to upgrade to give them more money...
Shouldn't be a problem of you let the download go over night.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Thanks... This sounds like a much fairer model that set values :)
Afrihost is crap though for anything that needs good latency or international connectivity.

You will struggle with streaming sites like Netflix and Twitch. Even YouTube videos that aren't locally cached you will struggle with.

People complain about game pings quite a lot a lot as well.

Most things work on MWEB just fine. I'd suggest just letting your downloads go overnight.