MWEB or Telkom the problem? Certain files on specific domains timeout only for me

UberCode

Hi all,

I'm an Mweb subscriber and I have a weird problem that maybe some clued up guys here have heard of before.

It seems to only happen on my connection. As the title says, specific files on certain domains timeout only for me. I have a friend who lives down the road and he can access the URLs fine. It's not an issue on one device as it happens on all my devices on my home connection. It's also not a DNS issue as I can ping the servers fine and even browse to the domains fine. I don't think it's my router as it hasn't given me problems before - it's specific URLs that seem to fail. I've heard of so-called "transparent proxies" that Telkom use to serve us webpages we want without using international bandwidth - they cache files. These servers can sometime break apparently. Not sure if Mweb also has these servers too, so I don't know who's problem it is here.

I happened to find an interesting way to get past this weird proxy server stuff.
  • I started by trying the tor browser to confirm that it was not the website itself.
  • I then asked my friend down the road to test - it loaded fine for him.
  • I then tried to download the CSS file that was failing with a download manager and that worked. That got me thinking...
  • I mixed and matched headers that the browser sends to the server using a plugin and found that if I remove the "Accept-Encoding" header, the file downloaded in the browser!

I could then view the site normally. This is what made me conclude that it is one of those transparent proxies that is causing the problem in a small geographic area and the header bypassed it somehow... or something, not really sure.

So my question is where do I go from here? Phone Mweb and get hold of support who probably would not understand all this? Anyone here heard of this kind of thing?

Any ideas/help appreciated :)

xodosman123

Expert Member
I assume it is on adsl, borrow your friend's router and plug it in.

let it connect and see if you can access the url.

I doubt it is telkom as they just supply the connectivity and the isp connects to the internet.

Lata

UberCode

I've tried switching to a bunch of DNS servers on the router and the pc. As I say though, I can access the root of those sites but not certain files. Will test with my friends router to make sure 100% it's not mine that's the problem.
I'll let you know how it goes.

UberCode

My word... different router worked :| Can't believe my router is stupid. Thanks anyway guys