MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr mweb man can you please tell us why pings to games.saix.net are so poor during the day? Why are local websites ping in the hundreds?
 
Just signed up for a account - will become active tomorrow.

Spoke to a lady who says I couldn't use a CC to pay - only debit orders. Only after I insisted and she spoke to her manager did she say it was fine. Very odd. Are you not encouraging people to pay with CC's?
 
Mr mweb man can you please tell us why pings to games.saix.net are so poor during the day? Why are local websites ping in the hundreds?

As at 14:11 on 31 March 2010:

Code:
--- games.saix.net ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9026ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 27.412/33.819/43.505/4.393 ms

Average = 33.8ms on 384kbps uncapped shaped. I'm not much of an online gamer so I don't know if this is good enough or not, but it's not in the hundreds.
 
Last edited:
Where can we see what traffic is seen as Relevant / Popular? or is this not availble to the public
Hi Auntpol,

We'd rather not state the actual protocols as they will change over time, however for the most part activities related to browsing & messaging/mail compromise the priority traffic class.

because with no downloads running , only browsing takes ages and times out a lot.
Please can you provide some specific sites that I can check out? ... besides MyBroadband.co.za which seems to be taking serious strain today.

MWB.
 
Hi Mweb,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I signed up online just now, got a username and password. I have not used the account yet. It did not say anything about how I activate the account from tomorrow only.... or if the account is activated immediately, what I will be charged for half a day's access. Can you please enlighten?
 
Hi Mweb,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I signed up online just now, got a username and password. I have not used the account yet. It did not say anything about how I activate the account from tomorrow only.... or if the account is activated immediately, what I will be charged for half a day's access. Can you please enlighten?

Eish.. you really should have researched this before signing up

Signups after the 15th of the month are charged at half the standard package price for that part-month.

MWB.
 
Eish.. you really should have researched this before signing up

This is a 70 page thread. Why does it not tell on the sign up page, and give an option to start tomorrow. I don't even need it right now.
 
Mr mweb man can you please tell us why pings to games.saix.net are so poor during the day? Why are local websites ping in the hundreds?
Hi killadoob,

Will investigate, am also getting inconsistant responses from SAIX.

BTW just to verify, can you post some pings to say www.dstv.com (its on our network close to the IPC)

MWB.
 
Sorry if this has been asked before. I signed up online just now, got a username and password. I have not used the account yet. It did not say anything about how I activate the account from tomorrow only.... or if the account is activated immediately, what I will be charged for half a day's access. Can you please enlighten?
Hi Gatecrasher,

Will enquire with Client Services/Billing.

MWB.
 
Code:
ping saix.net

Pinging saix.net [196.25.1.200] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 196.25.1.200: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.25.1.200: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.25.1.200: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.25.1.200: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 196.25.1.200:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 49ms


Code:
ping games.saix.net

Pinging games.saix.net [196.43.22.222] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 196.43.22.222: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.43.22.222: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.43.22.222: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=245
Reply from 196.43.22.222: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 196.43.22.222:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 30ms


Code:
ping dstv.com

Pinging dstv.com [196.28.65.142] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 196.28.65.142:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 31ms

Im Situated in Pretoria , if that makes any difference.

Please can you provide some specific sites that I can check out? ... besides MyBroadband.co.za which seems to be taking serious strain today.

MWB.

Getting a lot of timeouts on my google searches and mygaming.co.za

and btw , I'm giving this feedback to help improve , I'll be supporting you guys to the end ^^
 
Last edited:
<snip>
BTW just to verify, can you post some pings to say www.dstv.com (its on our network close to the IPC)

MWB.

Not sure if you meant this only for the OP, but results from my 384kbps line now for comparison:

Code:
--- www.dstv.co.za ping statistics ---
17 packets transmitted, 17 received, 0% packet loss, time 16022ms
rtt min/[B]avg[/B]/max/mdev = 21.913/[B]34.545[/B]/58.298/8.848 ms
 
Last edited:
Hi killadoob,

Will investigate, am also getting inconsistant responses from SAIX.

BTW just to verify, can you post some pings to say www.dstv.com (its on our network close to the IPC)

MWB.

Pinging dstv.com [196.28.65.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=105ms TTL=56
Reply from 196.28.65.142: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 196.28.65.142:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 72ms, Maximum = 128ms, Average = 101ms

From Durban
 
Hi Mweb,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I signed up online just now, got a username and password. I have not used the account yet. It did not say anything about how I activate the account from tomorrow only.... or if the account is activated immediately, what I will be charged for half a day's access. Can you please enlighten?
Hi Gatecrasher,

Please check your PM.

MWB.
 
Hi

What's the deal - I may also sign up tonight, so will I be billed for 1/4 day or only from tommorrow ?

Best to wait until tomorrow. Fortunately, I haven't used the account so they will credit me with the half-month payment.
You either pay a full month or half a month. Not pro-rata if you sign up early.
 
Hi

New to the forums, would just like to start of with saying that been with MWeb for a week now and it has been a blast. Had little ups and downs but overall awesome experience. Great job guys and keep it up! ;)

I was just wondering about something, I've signed up for the 512kb package and still haven't received the line upgrade. Did I miss something? Will the line upgrades only happen from the 1st of April? Or does it just take a while before migration takes place from Telkom to Mweb?

Thanks :)
 
Best to wait until tomorrow. Fortunately, I haven't used the account so they will credit me with the half-month payment.
You either pay a full month or half a month. Not pro-rata if you sign up early.

Wtf?!!? I just spoke to a lady at mweb who said that I will be billed pro-rata (signed up yesterday). Am I gonna pay for half a month now just for 1/2 day of access?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X