MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I read the billing agaiun - it looks like MWEB has made an error on my account:

3.3 Billing
3.3.1 You will pay the Service Fee, to MWEB monthly in advance by way of debit order, or such other manner as agreed, on or before the 1st day of each and every calendar month.
3.3.2 Billing will commence on the Activation Date.
3.3.3 If you signed up or switched over to this product by or before the 15th of the month, your first bill will include the full subscription for that month plus the subscription for the following month.
3.3.4 If you signed up after the 15th of the month, your first bill will include half the subscription for the first month and the full subscription for the following month.
I should only be billed for R540 + R270 approx

Please see that this is sorted out, as it seems that I have been billed up until MAY when it should be APRIL.

MWEB, please sort this out for me, my email is [email protected] - im not using this so PM me once sorted out.

See here:
30/03/10 MWEB Uncapped 4096 kbps 30/03/10 31/05/10 R 1182.02 R 165.48 R 1347.50 R 1347.50
 
yup - dopnt know why though - I signed up today like an idiot - first invoice is R1347!! Oh well.

Thats definitely not right. They should bill you for the month of April only, not April and May.

3.3.3 If you signed up or switched over to this product by or before the 15th of the month, your first bill will include the full subscription for that month plus the subscription for the following month.

That just doesnt make sense. From the above if you sign up on the 1st then you pay for the full month and the following month! :eek:

Mweb - can you pls clarify.
 
Last edited:
I'm in CT on 4Mbps capped, and I have exactly the same problems. I am one of those existing subscribers who have been migrated to the new MWeb backbone. I think you wish you could go back to the SAIX backbone!

As I posted elsewhere, tracert shows congestion on the CT/Jhb route. All CT Mweb traffic goes via Jhb first, before it can get anywhere further (even to sites based in CT itself).

Gordon, are you still on capped or have you been migrated?
 
Gordon, are you still on capped or have you been migrated?

I haven't done anything, and I'm still on 4Mbps capped. A chunk of existing MWeb users were migrated to the new MWeb backbone (was previously on SAIX), while still staying on the same packages.

That is why I am commenting on this thread, not because I am uncapped, but because I am sharing the same service (or lack thereof), and I was migrated without my knowledge (or consent).

For my price/usage combination I actually don't want to be be upgraded (yet).
 
OK Gordon, thanks for that. I moved to uncapped to allow my kids greater access to the stuff they wanted, but given the speed degradation I'm thinking of going back to capped for myself as it suits me just fine, the speed is what i appreciated and it seems that has gone for a ball of chalk. Regards
 
OK Gordon, thanks for that. I moved to uncapped to allow my kids greater access to the stuff they wanted, but given the speed degradation I'm thinking of going back to capped for myself as it suits me just fine, the speed is what i appreciated and it seems that has gone for a ball of chalk. Regards

If you go back to MWeb capped, it is highly unlikely that your speed will magically reappear. This would only happen if you were 'unmigrated' by MWeb (back to SAIX), which seems rather hard to arrange AFAIK.

We will ALL have to wait and see if the promised capacity makes a difference...
 
Last edited:
Uncapped 384 and 4096 accounts
We have launched our dedicated 384 and 4096 uncapped accounts. This service runs on the same IS backbone as our other uncapped accounts (You'll find under the *Express list). This account is a 24 hour shaped service which means it will be perfect for normal internet activities in an office environment like web browsing and email. This account is not for heavy downloaders, P2P and news downloads and other similiar services will be heavily shaped.

poor axxess subscibers
 
Any capped MWEB accounts still running on SAIX backbone?

Good question.

Ha-ha! If users are getting good service, they probably wouldn't be lurking (or grouching) on this forum (LOL ;-)

My understanding is that MWeb migrated some existing subscribers, but the new backbone couln't cope with the demand, so they paused the migration process until more capacity comes online. Sounds a bit like like trial-and-error...

This thread is so long it takes a while to find an existing post from the MWeb representative (what happened to the FAQ?)
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...cial-Q-amp-A&p=3732541&viewfull=1#post3732541

The non-priority bandwidth crunch is a result of a mismatch between additional capacity being bought online and the migration of the existing user base together with the unprecedented demand for new signups. Migrations/sales have got a bit ahead of new capacity deployment necessitating that we squeeze the non-priority traffic to maintain reasonable performance for the service as a whole.
 
Upload Capacity

Hi guys,

I'm sure most people here are aware of this, but just in case some aren't ... remember that the download speed you get on a file, for example, is also dependent on the UPLOAD capacity at the other end. Sounds obvious, but it's easy to forget.

I was downloading a game patch (yes, an *ACTUAL* game patch -- 250MB) from an FTP server outside the country. The maximum speed on the download was 8K/s.

I paused the download and tried it again from a different location separate from MWeb ... and it went to a maximum of 8K/s.

Of course I'm not saying that this explain every single "slow" download, I'm just putting it out there for those who may not have realized it.
 
That was a message posted on the reseller control panel, when applying for new product on control panel the new uncapped accounts are with the old, under express*

I don't see what the problem is, they have the more expensive option for heavy users. Personally I would prefer them to upfront about it, than change to something that's unsuitable for me.
I'm just relieved they didn't replace one with the other.
 
I don't see what the problem is, they have the more expensive option for heavy users. Personally I would prefer them to upfront about it, than change to something that's unsuitable for me.
I'm just relieved they didn't replace one with the other.

The problem is that I'm getting under 20kb/sec on just standard browsing with the axxess 4096 uncapped....
 
I think they tricked the users, what they calling it 4mb option when ppl cant even download an http file. Im glad i signed up with mweb and not axxess,
We are reseller of axxess and provide adsl to about 10 companies, since axxess released uncapped our capped accounts are so slow.
 
MWeb uncap SUCKs badly and i have waisted a good 500R. Its so unstable that al my connections (VPN, IM's, Outlook) lose connectivity 3-4 times a day. Even after i have connected MWeb they still didnt resolve this problem.

I get 20kb/s P2P download during the day and about 100kb/s spiking after office hours. USENET servers dont. They use the argument that they shape P2P download to prevent Ilegal downloads. OMW... WoW and LoL (games) uses it to update. Anime and Linux (ISO and Apps) are totaly legal and uses P2P downloads. And afrihost uses the same argument.

you cant play games without lag. during the day or after office hours. (warcarft 3 its local, and battelfield)

So if you enjoy a game during the day or just play WoW or LoL or uses P2P downloads for anime and Linux stuff. Or just want a stable connection that doest drops 3-4 times a day. THIS AINT FOR YOU
 
The problem is that I'm getting under 20kb/sec on just standard browsing with the axxess 4096 uncapped....

wow. I'm using the shaped account now, Currently streaming Highveld and downloading a test file at 160 K/sec.
So 4 mg it aint, but 20k? ouch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X