MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfy, I don't know whether you mean to, but you're coming across as very aggro towards anyone crticising MWEB. I don't know what your motive is, but please let people have a differing opinion. That's what this forum is for, not to fight like a fanboi.

He's entitled to disagree about a persons opinion too, thats called free speech.

Thanks Kosmik.

I'm very happy with the ADSL service from MWeb and with their customer service -- that's been my experience -- but I'm not a card-carrying MWeb fanboi. I have no problem with valid criticism based on fact. I do have a problem with vague accusations and generalizations and the suggestions that MWeb (or any other ISP) is deliberately sabotaging their users or is throttling, for example, when they aren't. I also have a problem with people purchasing product X with feature Y and without feature Z, and then complaining endlessly that they don't have feature Z. I also have a problem with people who don't read -- or choose to ignore -- the Terms and Conditions of both the Telkom portion of the ADSL service and the MWeb portion, and then complain about the service, features, shaping, etc.

When I argue against such people, I'm accused of being a fanboi or of being complacent. Complaints which are valid and which have been carefully checked are usually not challenged by companies and they will do something to correct the situation. But the constant unprovoked, unjustified and unsubstantiated outbursts against MWeb are not helpful. I'm sure MWeb does NOT want unhappy customers; I'm sure they are all working very hard to ensure the best level of service for everyone; I'm sure there is no greater conspiracy to cripple users' access intentionally (WHY would a company do that?). They are a tier 1 level operator now -- they are in the market for the long-haul and they are taking on Telkom and they are one of the big players now. Criticize them all you want if that criticism is valid. Don't complain that your shaped service is shaped. Don't complain that your P2P torrent is slow during office hours. Don't suggest that just because you can't download the internets at 400Kb/s 24/7 that MWeb is throttling/blocking/stopping/interrupting your connection deliberately -- certainly not until you know for 100% sure that it is not the result of any one of the many, many other factors which could affect your download speeds. When a download is not running as fast as you feel it should, it is just to easy to post here and rant at MWeb and curse the rep. for not being here. The internet is a dynamic system with hundreds of points of failure.
 
Last edited:
Thanks man, I did not want to make more threads though. I am a very well-mannered blogger =P

Expecting assistance regarding Cybersmart in an official MWeb thread is not very cyber-smart. Is it more well-mannered to post in the wrong thread than to start a new thread for your specific problem?
 
Expecting assistance regarding Cybersmart in an official MWeb thread is not very cyber-smart. Is it more well-mannered to post in the wrong thread than to start a new thread for your specific problem?

Dude look at the starting page and STFU and quit pestering over small issues which have been resolved. I admitted my mistake now move on.
 
Thanks Kosmik.

I'm very happy with the ADSL service from MWeb and with their customer service -- that's been my experience -- but I'm not a card-carrying MWeb fanboi. I have no problem with valid criticism based on fact. I do have a problem with vague accusations and generalizations and the suggestions that MWeb (or any other ISP) is deliberately sabotaging their users or is throttling, for example, when they aren't. I also have a problem with people purchasing product X with feature Y and without feature Z, and then complaining endlessly that they don't have feature Z. I also have a problem with people who don't read -- or choose to ignore -- the Terms and Conditions of both the Telkom portion of the ADSL service and the MWeb portion, and then complain about the service, features, shaping, etc.

When I argue against such people, I'm accused of being a fanboi or of being complacent. Complaints which are valid and which have been carefully checked are usually not challenged by companies and they will do something to correct the situation. But the constant unprovoked, unjustified and unsubstantiated outbursts against MWeb are not helpful. I'm sure MWeb does NOT want unhappy customers; I'm sure they are all working very hard to ensure the best level of service for everyone; I'm sure there is no greater conspiracy to cripple users' access intentionally (WHY would a company do that?). They are a tier 1 level operator now -- they are in the market for the long-haul and they are taking on Telkom and they are one of the big players now. Criticize them all you want if that criticism is valid. Don't complain that your shaped service is shaped. Don't complain that your P2P torrent is slow during office hours. Don't suggest that just because you can't download the internets at 400Kb/s 24/7 that MWeb is throttling/blocking/stopping/interrupting your connection deliberately -- certainly not until you know for 100% sure that it is not the result of any one of the many, many other factors which could affect your download speeds. When a download is not running as fast as you feel it should, it is just to easy to post here and rant at MWeb and curse the rep. for not being here. The internet is a dynamic system with hundreds of points of failure.

+1
 
*Sigh* "STFU"? Nice.

YES! You are annoying! You have nothing relevant to post and act as if I enjoy being on this webpage ranting about having garbage internet. If you cannot help then do not pile on the frustration. For some people like myself, Internet is life. if you cannot understand that then do NOT reply to ANY of my posts! Got that? Good!
 
Wolfy, I don't know whether you mean to, but you're coming across as very aggro towards anyone crticising MWEB. I don't know what your motive is, but please let people have a differing opinion. That's what this forum is for, not to fight like a fanboi.

+1 you are getting very boring.
 
Because "shaping" is such a vague term the only info we can base our decision to join on is other users experiences. Therefore we have a right to be angry when the quality of service suddenly changes as we are not getting the same product we signed up for.
 
seriously, you guys are like a bunch of 12 year olds moaning, one problem goes, next problem comes.

Anyway my only concern in that on the 384k, I don't ever reach my line speed over NNTP on the weekends.
Using: news.mweb.co.za and grabit with 2 threads.

Browsing is also slow.
 
seriously, you guys are like a bunch of 12 year olds moaning, one problem goes, next problem comes.

Anyway my only concern in that on the 384k, I don't ever reach my line speed over NNTP on the weekends.
Using: news.mweb.co.za and grabit with 2 threads.

Browsing is also slow.

And you are the typical complacent South African consumer who ensures we continue getting crap service.
 
My MWEB connection has really taken a dive today, yesterday was ok though. I have a 4mb line with a 512k package, browsing slow, downloads going at the moment at a cr@ppy 24KB. I hope they get their act together.
 
@sabrewolfy

Office hours stop at 6-7, most of the complaints are because of speeds after this.

MWEB has time and again shown greedyness in wanting as many customers as possible as fast as possible and then secondarily looking towards keeping current customers happy, so no I doubt they give a fck about how happy their customers are. Their strategy is obviously shortsighted instead of logical and thats because we have the current problems.
 
seriously, you guys are like a bunch of 12 year olds moaning, one problem goes, next problem comes.

Anyway my only concern in that on the 384k, I don't ever reach my line speed over NNTP on the weekends.
Using: news.mweb.co.za and grabit with 2 threads.

Browsing is also slow.

FACEPALM!
 
<snip>

MWEB has time and again shown greedyness in wanting as many customers as possible as fast as possible and then secondarily looking towards keeping current customers happy, so no I doubt they give a fck about how happy their customers are. Their strategy is obviously shortsighted instead of logical and thats because we have the current problems.

So in an exceptionally competitive market (which they themselves started by offering uncapped access), they are deliberately alienating their customers by actively, intentionally and continually sabotaging their access for their own greedy purposes? :erm:
 
Last edited:
Who can comment on the current speeds they are receiving on a 4mb line and 4mb MWEB package, have they declined? How does it differ during office hours and business hours?
 
Thanks Kosmik.

I'm very happy with the ADSL service from MWeb and with their customer service -- that's been my experience -- but I'm not a card-carrying MWeb fanboi. I have no problem with valid criticism based on fact. I do have a problem with vague accusations and generalizations and the suggestions that MWeb (or any other ISP) is deliberately sabotaging their users or is throttling, for example, when they aren't. I also have a problem with people purchasing product X with feature Y and without feature Z, and then complaining endlessly that they don't have feature Z. I also have a problem with people who don't read -- or choose to ignore -- the Terms and Conditions of both the Telkom portion of the ADSL service and the MWeb portion, and then complain about the service, features, shaping, etc.

When I argue against such people, I'm accused of being a fanboi or of being complacent. Complaints which are valid and which have been carefully checked are usually not challenged by companies and they will do something to correct the situation. But the constant unprovoked, unjustified and unsubstantiated outbursts against MWeb are not helpful. I'm sure MWeb does NOT want unhappy customers; I'm sure they are all working very hard to ensure the best level of service for everyone; I'm sure there is no greater conspiracy to cripple users' access intentionally (WHY would a company do that?). They are a tier 1 level operator now -- they are in the market for the long-haul and they are taking on Telkom and they are one of the big players now. Criticize them all you want if that criticism is valid. Don't complain that your shaped service is shaped. Don't complain that your P2P torrent is slow during office hours. Don't suggest that just because you can't download the internets at 400Kb/s 24/7 that MWeb is throttling/blocking/stopping/interrupting your connection deliberately -- certainly not until you know for 100% sure that it is not the result of any one of the many, many other factors which could affect your download speeds. When a download is not running as fast as you feel it should, it is just to easy to post here and rant at MWeb and curse the rep. for not being here. The internet is a dynamic system with hundreds of points of failure.
Wolfy, we've all told you time and again that many of the ISP's, including MWEB, have changed their marketing to suit their austerity measures. They are creating disgruntled customers by sharp marketing tricks. Their CEO even alluded to a better experience after business hours, which every MWEB uncapped subscriber knows is utter BS. Their network has been terribly unstable, even if we don't take the Seacom disaster into account. Their technical support may as well not exist, because they don't do much, even weeks later. If you are happy with that state of affairs, then don't get tetchy when the rest of us try and improve things.

Shaping is one thing, but selectively blocking certain sites and ports is definitely in the throttling realm.

I don't believe MWEB are creating enough capacity in relation to their subscriptions. They are creating a 'closed box' and cramming far too much in it. The motive is profit. They also are buyers of bandwidth, but need to reach into their pockets more often instead of just reaping the cash crop.

If you're on 4Meg, then the impact of these shena****ns is less and those people cannot fathom what it's like on 384.
 
Hello people - i'm on the 4MB uncapped with MWEB and my speeds are excellent - 400KB/s and above - sometimes it even hops up to 500KB/s. Perhaps the degradation has more to do with line signal quality than anything else. I'm close to my exchange and i've never had issues with my MWEB connection. When i was signed up with Telkom's DoBroadband i had nothing but absolutely crappy service though and line sync issues etc etc etc.....Telkom sorted my line sync issues the day i moved over to MWEB so i dont know if my initial issues with Telkom was more so a line issue or a service provider issue. All in all though i'm cruising with my MWEB connection.....here hoping it will NEVER change (and if it does change, i hope its only for the better)
 
The MWeb DoS Conspiracy "Theory"

Wolfy, we've all told you time and again that many of the ISP's, including MWEB, have changed their marketing to suit their austerity measures. They are creating disgruntled customers by sharp marketing tricks. Their CEO even alluded to a better experience after business hours, which every MWEB uncapped subscriber knows is utter BS. Their network has been terribly unstable, even if we don't take the Seacom disaster into account. Their technical support may as well not exist, because they don't do much, even weeks later. If you are happy with that state of affairs, then don't get tetchy when the rest of us try and improve things.

Shaping is one thing, but selectively blocking certain sites and ports is definitely in the throttling realm.

I don't believe MWEB are creating enough capacity in relation to their subscriptions. They are creating a 'closed box' and cramming far too much in it. The motive is profit. They also are buyers of bandwidth, but need to reach into their pockets more often instead of just reaping the cash crop.

If you're on 4Meg, then the impact of these shena****ns is less and those people cannot fathom what it's like on 384.

Let me make sure I understand. MWeb's master business plan was to enter the ADSL market however-many years ago and offer a reliable capped service while they waited patiently for cheap Seacom. As soon as it arrived, they then put their plan into motion. They retail cheap uncapped bandwidth to the country but are careful to provide only some customers with a good experience so as not to raise suspicions. Then, they randomly select other users whose connection they block or cripple in order to save bandwidth. They plan carefully to ensure they purchase too little bandwidth for their projected customer-base -- and they refuse to bring more bandwidth online -- so that people will not be able to use the internet effectively. They would rather have unhappy, complaining customers and more profit. They continue to do this -- risking sanction from ICASA or ASA or whatever -- and post reps on forums like this to divert suspicion. They market the product as "shaped" upfront not in order to provide reliable HTTP and email services to the majority of customers, but rather to allow them to throttle/block/whatever some users' connections. They also remove the "gaming" label from some of their products so that they can provide a poor quality service.
 
Last edited:
So in an exceptionally competitive market (which they themselves started by offering uncapped access), they are deliberately alienating their customers by actively, intentionally and continually sabotaging their access for their own greedy purposes? :erm:

Oh please, that would imply intellegence on their part which with the continual lack of forethough on their part...I doubt they posess, the truth is they are merely complacent enough because of their secure market share to care more about quantity than quality.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X