Name and Shame: Unauthorised Debit Orders Thread

TaxableLemon

Also with FNB, just got the same D/O message this morning, but quickly reversed and stopped it online - R99 bucks can easily go unnoticed for a while :| I'm glad I saw it before it went on for too long.

entity17

On further reading it looks like debicheck is what's needed to get the bank to authorize with you first and, get this, it's optional for companies to use debicheck.

It should absolutely not be optional for the bank to process a debit order without first verifying it is legitimate and companies should not get to decide that it is.

Majorman747

Same here, got an notification of this unlawful debit order. I've reversed it and stopped the debit order through online means, I've emailed DOA@Pasa.org.za ..Hope these people get caught! This is unjustifiable to allow something like this to happen

DeathStrike

Expert Member
this just happened to me also. nedbank account. i googled a d found this thread.

going to reverse and stop it now.

Edit: so i reversed and stopped it.

noticed with nedbank app that they state they will block for 3 months and it is my responsibility to cancel with them? wtf. how do i do this?

Last edited:

Azimuth

Expert Member
Also got hit today. Luckily I’ve got this in my armory:

98b35852f0e6e8235c3a498fe4b26b78.jpg

44437c78a0171c0d674318e1da41a273.jpg

e155381a9b67d2c5304eb1e662ef035b.jpg

17d35510b6dcd708dde882eddb66da41.jpg

Thank you Nedbank Money!! :D

Quixotic

Why not close the account and open a new one with another new bank. Only solution as a last resort for persistent illegal debits and many are, perhaps.

Hardaker587

Also got whacked with this debit order, luckily I jumped on this forum to checkout what it was, otherwise I would have thought it was something I subscribed to. Thanks guys! I've reversed and stopped it at FNB.

msm

I'm with FNB. Got hit last night with this.

Cancelled via the app and reported. Thanks for the info guys. Maybe someone make this a sticky somewhere or ask MyBB to post an article with instructions, as this seems to be increasing and the instructions get lost in a long thread.

In any case, thanks again for those that raise awareness around this.

TheEpicOne

Also got hit last night. Is there any point in calling the bank and making a big thing about it or just cancell and reverse?

Torra05

did the same. but like i said they say it is our responsibility to cancel and they only stop for 3 months?

Only 3 months? I got the notification last night, also with FNB. Busy calling them right now. What else can be done about this?

entity17

The Nedbank consultant I spoke to didn't much care that it was a fraudulent debit order. Said they can find out who it was and let me know and they can reverse it but beyond that it's up to me to contact the company debiting me and ask them to cancel the debit order (she did not mention I could put a stop order on it, and if this is temporary it's not that helpful anyway.) She didn't seem bothered by the fact that banks are allowing unauthorized debit orders. I'd still like to speak to a manager but decided that for R5 it wasn't worth going in and wasting a lot of my time as I expect nothing will be done. Next time I happen to be in the area I will drop in to the bank and talk to a manager then.

The only benefit I can see to calling vs reversing/stopping through an app is that you can request details of the company committing the fraud. I intend to follow up on this and insist on as much info as possible, which I will pass on to PASA and (if I remember to) post here as well. I may also contact them and see if I get anywhere.

Yuvz

Same happened to me(FNB) UPS NCONNUPS15_44787 -
Logged onto online banking, viewed my accounts(eg savings, cheque) - selected the affected account - selected my debit orders - the unauthorized debit order showed up as part of my debit orders - next to the fraudulent transaction - selected dispute - then selected stop - agreed to the terms and conditions.
on my statement it showed "MAGTAPE UNPAID" so i am hoping money was successfully reversed.
Also went on to mail DOA@Pasa.org.za that some members of this forum suggested above.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
I have one from INSURE ACT, i've been playing ping pong with the debit order reversal game. I'm with ABSA, I use to get worked up, found out the bank has taken its stance. So every first of the month after getting the debit order, I reverse it.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
I have one from INSURE ACT, i've been playing ping pong with the debit order reversal game. I'm with ABSA, I use to get worked up, found out the bank has taken its stance. So every first of the month after getting the debit order, I reverse it.
yeah that might be a last resort i guess. still that is crap annoying having to remember to reverse it every month. also we still lose money because the bank charges for reversal.

J%C

I received a debit order this morning, 2 November 2018, Ups NCONNUPS15_80 for R99. I am with FNB. If you click on dispute on FNB online banking they say they want to CHARGE ME for reversing the debit order! FNB sucks.

signates

Executive Member
I received a debit order this morning, 2 November 2018, Ups NCONNUPS15_80 for R99. I am with FNB. If you click on dispute on FNB online banking they say they want to CHARGE ME for reversing the debit order! FNB sucks.
There's no charge for debit order reversals under R200 on fnb.

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Post above. Also the wording is may charge you. Reserved for those cases where customer reverse legitimate debit orders.