Networking cables and switches

ponder

Honorary Master
if a segment of the network fails, is their routing so that all systems can just bypass the failed segment?
Seeing he is cascading the switches in series he will be fooked with no way to bypass.

I smell a hack job coming on here. This is something you either do right or don't do at all as it's gonna come back and bite you in the ass.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Seeing he is cascading the switches in series he will be fooked with no way to bypass.

I smell a hack job coming on here. This is something you either do right or don't do at all as it's gonna come back and bite you in the ass.
I don't just smell a hack job....I smell a very very very large one actually.

brentm

My suggestion would be to put each unit on a different vlan then trunk this through to a central layer 3 managed switch, have all the gateways (switched virtual interface's) on this switch for each vlan. If people want to play games put them on the same vlan.
But who plays LAN games now anyway :)
QOS will also be just about impossible with a Layer 2 network too, unless you bring it back to a layer 3 device.
most lan games nowdays you can enter the ip address of the host anyway, it will just be switched through the layer 3 switch
Okay, all VLAN, managed switches instead of smart

Ok, so you're going to run gigabit.... at least thats a start... what type of redundancy approach are you taking?... if a segment of the network fails, is their routing so that all systems can just bypass the failed segment?
I don't just smell a hack job....I smell a very very very large one actually.
Gentlemen... Maybe i should remind you most complexs are round, we're no exception.. Something goes wrong? Traffic goes the other way. Sorry i should have pointed it out
It sounds nice and simple just replacing with fibre..but when you pull the copper initially you will see what I mean about it not being easy.. it will be a pain in the ass.. and as a client I won't want extended downtime just because YOU didn't plan properly and do the build properly initially
That is no problem, the pipes are the size of maybe, an arm? And they have one tiny telkom cable in it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue :)

4 cables for each switch?... You would be better drawing a diagram of your network design.. then you can plan the redundancy better tbh...
Made one already, look at end of post

OH and btw....
http://www.ubnt.com/toughcable :)

Map

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That is no problem, the pipes are the size of maybe, an arm? And they have one tiny telkom cable in it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue
Wait until you try..... then come back and say, oh it wasn't a problem.

deepdiver

Look to be honest looking at your diagram it looks pretty straight forward.
for the bandwidth you are looking at you shouldn't really need to have fibre and the distances are pretty small so there is no real need anyway. As i said before best to have managed layer 2 switches on your access layer here anything that supports VLAN config because that is mainly what you are going to be using them for. Rather spend money on the layer 3 switch which all these switches will connect to ( logically). Make sure this switch can do QOS / access lists / and anything extra is a bonus.

Yes redundancy is pretty awesome but for this kind of network all you need is a 24 hours SLA and just tell the "customers" this is the case so if the "internet" does go down they know what the story is. Your main problem I would think here would be latency and download speeds that your customers would complain about. This should be thought about how you are going to manage this.

Last edited:

TonyA

Expert Member
Why connect switches in series, if one switch fails then you are going to lose a number of others.

brentm

Switch#1 fails or loses power?
When i say switch 1, it is the main switch, this will be protected by a UPS, since it is, the main switch

The switches #2 - #7 are dead.
Well, if the first switch did die, yeah, there wont be internet, but everything else will live, plus, I might put another internet gateway to save just this, so we'd all be fine till it is replaced or fixed

Also why CAT5e over CAT6 since you don't want fiber?
Good point, but the Tough Cable does most of the features that comes with cat6, plus, cat6 isn't shielded like we want it to be

Why connect switches in series, if one switch fails then you are going to lose a number of others.
Read back, we are making it redundant, one fails, traffic turns around and goes the other way

Your main problem I would think here would be latency and download speeds that your customers would complain about. This should be thought about how you are going to manage this.
HTTP gets priority and there will be QOS

Wait until you try..... then come back and say, oh it wasn't a problem.
Challenge accepted! :D

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No offence on this..

But this definitely sounds like you're trying to do a big job with amateur experience, and expecting it to work....

You will have untold problems, you will piss your "clients" off.. and probably at the end of it have a very expensive network setup that few to nobody in the complex will use...

paulcolmer

VOIP may come at later stages, not for the next few years, too much effort with having to change numbers etc. When it does, thats why we get managed switches and make VOIP packets top priory.
There will be internet to every unit, yes, but not sure how many units want in on the service.
But we will need to prepare for all 58 units to be supported
No effort at all to change numbers, number porting is freely available from most providers at a cost of around R150 per number, takes around 4 days !

brentm

No offence on this..

But this definitely sounds like you're trying to do a big job with amateur experience, and expecting it to work....

You will have untold problems, you will piss your "clients" off.. and probably at the end of it have a very expensive network setup that few to nobody in the complex will use...
It will have to be passed first, dont think we are just diving in, we have lots to do before this is passed by every member of the complex.

o effort at all to change numbers, number porting is freely available from most providers at a cost of around R150 per number, takes around 4 days !
You sir, made my day :) What provider? Vox?

brentm

No offence on this..

It will have to be passed first, dont think we are just diving in, we have lots to do before this is passed by every member of the complex.

o effort at all to change numbers, number porting is freely available from most providers at a cost of around R150 per number, takes around 4 days !

paulcolmer

Different providers for different aplications, look at www.whichvoip.co.za most of the providers are listed there and you can compare rates ect, If you let me know what 'last mile' connectivity to your ISP you intend to use and what speed and also the maximum number of concurrent calls you expect and how you intend to do the billing, i will be able to assist you