New ADSL products from IS

Rabbit7766

using a 2800 router to "load balance" traffic across multiple connections (diginet and ADSL) is nothing new. Clever marketing is all that it is.

Last edited:

Tns

Executive Member
using a 2800 router to "load balance" traffic across multiple connections (diginet and ADSL) is nothing new. Clever marketing is all that it is.

true, all this have been around some already, like ipods add a lot of hype and it will sell.

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Well, with the shoddy levels of Telkom support in our main office area, we would go for this (price depending).
ADSL goes down more often than a crack-whore.

sox63

Executive Member
Why would a customer want a leased line and ADSL load balanced solution? I'm trying to understand but I can't. Usually its the leased line as primary and ADSL as a backup connection.

But sounds like a variation of MTN NS's dual connect offering

kaaskop

Expert Member
Still means nothing for a home user like me that likes to d/l from news servers:(

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
CISCO Blues

WHY a 2800 :confused:

The "old" 3620 I have will load balance between Diginet (8 Serial Ports) ADSL & ISDN & will set you back a LOT less than a new 2800 -- Unless of course there is something I am missing :confused:

MW

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
In this day in age why should SMMEs be using Diginet lines? Reliable, high speed ADSL should be more than adequate!

Rabbit7766

WHY a 2800 :confused:

The "old" 3620 I have will load balance between Diginet (8 Serial Ports) ADSL & ISDN & will set you back a LOT less than a new 2800 -- Unless of course there is something I am missing :confused:

MW

fully agreed, I just used the 2800 as an example :)

Roman4604

Expert Member
using a Cisco 2800 router splitting traffic based on protocol
A bit of an overkill as the cheaper 1841 could do it, but I suppose depends on number of lines and sustained throughput required.

Why would a customer want a leased line and ADSL load balanced solution? I'm trying to understand but I can't.
Policy routing allows a co. to direct line-of-business traffic requiring guarenteed responses through the leased line, while nuisence traffic (e.g. staff browsing) can be 'load schedded' onto the ADSL.

Still means nothing for a home user like me that likes to d/l from news servers:(
News access is one of the applications that would benefit greatly from load balancing multiple ADSL (or other) lines, as most news servers allow multiple concurrent connections.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Well, with the shoddy levels of Telkom support in our main office area, we would go for this (price depending).
ADSL goes down more often than a crack-whore.
What's wrong with crack-whore's?
They are way more useful than Telkom.