New MTN Supersonic FTTH pricing

BillyBoy

Despite the huge increase in mobile data/voice costs by MTN, their Supersonic fibre prices have dropped considerably. I signed up in March for 20 mbps at R 579 pm with 50 GB at R 210 pm total R 789.

New prices shown at https://www.mtn.co.za/everyday_services/internet/connectingmyhome/fibretothehome/Pages/MTN-supersonic.aspx show:
Line Speed Rates New Price (Including VAT)
20 Mbps R 579.00 50 Mbps R 679.00 100 Mbps R 799.00

DataBundle Bonus Data Night Data Price(Including VAT)
20GB 20GB 40GB R 40.00
50GB 50GB 100GB R 95.00
100GB 100GB 200GB R 185.00
.... . . .
Night Data between 00h00 and 6h00
Bonus Data available to customers signing up before 1 October 2016

Not sure how to read this, hopefully MTN can confirm:
Cost seems to have come down from R 210 pm to R 95 pm for 50GB
Will I now get 50+50 anytime GB, and 100 GB night data? Or only 50GB anytime and 100 night time?

MJ89

How is the line performance/uptime etc.
What area you in?
I ve had my connection for a month now 50mbps. Speeds are great and have not had any down time.
Speed tests below connected on wifi

kixus

I am also with MTN FTTH. When I got the notification of the price decrease, I decided I'd upgrade my line to continue what I am paying currently, but get waaay more for it.

I can confirm (at least from the conversation I had with the sales consultant during my upgrade), that if you do not upgrade your package (line and/or data), by the 1st of October, you will not receive the bonus data, you will just have the lower cost of your current package, and the night data added.

At first it didn't even seem that I was going to get the bonus data through an upgrade. I was then going to cancel my account and sign-up again. LOL. But after "checking", the consultant came back and confirmed that an upgrade does award the bonus data.

So if you're planning on sticking where you are, consider cancelling and signing up again, or at least give them a call threatening to and see what they say.

viceroy

MTN have been pushing residents in our estate to take up fibre (apparently 15 of 800 households took it up after the initial install)

I attended their info evening and since fibre is now cheaper than 10mb uncapped business dsl, I've decided to take the plunge.
I've now completed the online application and it's saying I need to pay an upfront fee (not installation or device)
I understand that it's usual billing practice to charge before the month of usage, but to force payment before even install is ridiculous.

Their call centre agents are slow and unhelpful, so I'm sure I'll get an answer here.
When I click the pay now button, is the amount added to my next month's invoice or will I be forced to pay the amount immediately?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Is MTN an open network, or are you forced to use their data?

Dean

Expert Member
I ve had my connection for a month now 50mbps. Speeds are great and have not had any down time.
Speed tests below connected on wifi

We're seeing similar results in Fresnaye, Cape Town

BillyBoy

I've now completed the online application and it's saying I need to pay an upfront fee (not installation or device)
I understand that it's usual billing practice to charge before the month of usage, but to force payment before even install is ridiculous.

Their call centre agents are slow and unhelpful, so I'm sure I'll get an answer here.
When I click the pay now button, is the amount added to my next month's invoice or will I be forced to pay the amount immediately?
Yes you pay for monthly fee upfront before installation.

I have *never* had a good interaction with MTN or their installers/planners/partners/call centre ! They arrived 2 hours early after arranging a time to do site survey, and 4 days late for the install, took 46 days to answer my email to say they cant setup Voip on my ONT device, and had the cheek to send the email from world-classinternet@mtn.co.za (hardly world class with 46 day response time)!

They have now announced new reduced prices, effective 1st July 2016, but the shop.mtn.co.za where one has to Recharge STILL has old outdated prices. I have recharged twice since decrease announced, paying old prices. They do have notice stating:

"Please Note: Our FTTH Once-off bundle prices have changed, however we are experiencing a technical problem implementing the new rates. MTN apologises for the inconvenience, and will update the prices soon."

But come on guys, how long does it take? 10 days and counting. Give me the login to database and I will do it.

I requested a credit or additional bandwidth, but ... surprise surprise .... never did get a response from MTN.
And hardly world class!!

They are *supposedly* an Open network, but MTN are coming up with all manner of excuses and reasons why other ISPs cannot yet register/take over MTN FTTH clients. That has been dragging on for at least 2 months too.

blunt

Expert Member
Glad to see a price reduction, they are trenching our neighbourhood but I'm on the un-lucky side of the road (they only do one side at a time then come back and do the other sides after they've done all of the roads). MTN support is less than useless I have also had the experience of a ridiculous turnaround time to get a response to an email and canned responses that show just how clueless the support people are.

Do they have an online rep here?

BillyBoy

Despite the huge increase in mobile data/voice costs by MTN, their Supersonic fibre prices have dropped considerably. I signed up in March for 20 mbps at R 579 pm with 50 GB at R 210 pm total R 789.

New prices shown at https://www.mtn.co.za/everyday_services/internet/connectingmyhome/fibretothehome/Pages/MTN-supersonic.aspx show:
Line Speed Rates New Price (Including VAT)
20 Mbps R 579.00 50 Mbps R 679.00 100 Mbps R 799.00

DataBundle Bonus Data Night Data Price(Including VAT)
20GB 20GB 40GB R 40.00
50GB 50GB 100GB R 95.00
100GB 100GB 200GB R 185.00
.... . . .
Night Data between 00h00 and 6h00
Bonus Data available to customers signing up before 1 October 2016

Not sure how to read this, hopefully MTN can confirm:
Cost seems to have come down from R 210 pm to R 95 pm for 50GB
Will I now get 50+50 anytime GB, and 100 GB night data? Or only 50GB anytime and 100 night time?
Amazing. now on 12th July MTN have reverted their prices to the OLD pricing !!! Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing at MTN? Also on shop.mtn.co.za to recharge the notice is still up the Once-Off FTTH bundles are incorrect

https://www.mtn.co.za/everyday_services/internet/connectingmyhome/fibretothehome/Pages/MTN-supersonic.aspx
now shows :

24-month contracts

Product Line-speed options Cost
MTN Supersonic 1 20Mbps R649.00 pmx24
MTN Supersonic 2 50Mbps R749.00 pmx24
MTN Supersonic 3 100Mbps R949.00 pmx24
Note: you can choose to pay for the device at R55 per month over 24 months or pay a once-off fee of R1 150.

Month-to-month contracts

Product Line-speed options Monthly cost
MTN Supersonic 1 20Mbps R579.00
MTN Supersonic 2 50Mbps R679.00
MTN Supersonic 3 100Mbps R879.00
Note: a once-off fee of R3 000 is required for installation (includes device).

Recurring and TopUp bundles for 24-month and month-to-month contracts

Product Cost per month
20GB data bundle R90.00
50GB data bundle R210.00
100GB data bundle R385.00
200GB data bundle R700.00
300GB data bundle R960.00
500GB data bundle R1 500.00

The Mybroadband article clearly shows screenshots of the new prices, reduced installation fees at http://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/171595-mtn-slashes-fibre-prices-by-50.html

And the website to view data usage at https://m.mtn.co.za/mycontract/www/MTNApp/mobilewebapp/default/MTNApp.html does not allow a login.

A word of warning to anyone who only has MTN FTTH as an option: Do NOT sign a 24 month contract, and switch to another ISP as soon as MTN allow that.