New or pre-owned gaming PC?

Hey, PotterH sent me a WhatsApp on his old number saying that phone is broken, and he gave me his new number. Messaged him on that too, so let's see if it works out this time :) Maybe I'd just been given bad info upfront. Will report back.

My bad, the number I gave you I have probably not used in a year.
 
Been looking at different GTX1060s from different manufacturers. There are some quite striking differences in design, so maybe the decision comes down to an aesthetic one.

Aaah man, might have to get a case with a clear side after all, those look to good to hide away.

When installed in the case you are not going to see the shroud/fan side, mostly just the backplate.
 
Agreed! This is exciting. You should order the GPU in the meantime.
 
Agreed! This is exciting. You should order the GPU in the meantime.

I'm trying boss, I'm trying. The problem is every component is starting to push the budget now, lol.

Like DDR4 RAM ain't cheap. in fact, this is the cheapest 16GB kit I can find: https://www.rebeltech.co.za/14888-g...gb-16gb-kit-8gb-x2-ddr4-3000-15-16-16-35.html

I reckon it's worth the investment, versus getting slower RAM. RAM is one of those basic parts of your PC which is *always* in use.

Is that RAM ok, or is there a different brand I should be looking at?
 
OK, so been doing some googling and discovered that Titan Z is the premium cousin of Ripjaws. The equivalent 16GB kit is this one (out of stock at Rebeltech but anyway): https://www.rebeltech.co.za/14894-g...zb-16gb-kit-8gb-x2-ddr4-3200-16-18-18-38.html

That's rated to 3200 ... so 200 faster for R200 more lol. Worth it? Yes/No?

They're both compatible with the motherboard, as proven by this exhaustive list: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=2484&model=2503

EDIT: And a review of them, because Internet - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/74...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html
 
Last edited:
OK, so been doing some googling and discovered that Titan Z is the premium cousin of Ripjaws. The equivalent 16GB kit is this one (out of stock at Rebeltech but anyway): https://www.rebeltech.co.za/14894-g...zb-16gb-kit-8gb-x2-ddr4-3200-16-18-18-38.html

That's rated to 3200 ... so 200 faster for R200 more lol. Worth it? Yes/No?

They're both compatible with the motherboard, as proven by this exhaustive list: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=2484&model=2503

EDIT: And a review of them, because Internet - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/74...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

But your CPU supported memory is: Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

https://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
 
But your CPU supported memory is: Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

https://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Aah nice one, I knew I needed to check every component! So does that make this compatible with both the CPU and motherboard? https://www.rebeltech.co.za/11015-c...13r-16gb-2x-8gb-kit-ddr4-2133-pc4-17000-.html

Turns out that's the exact same price as this: https://www.rebeltech.co.za/9483-ki...16gb-2x-8gb-kit-ddr4-2133-pc4-17000-cl14.html

So Corsair vs Kingston, is RAM just RAM these days?
 
Last edited:
OK, so been doing some googling and discovered that Titan Z is the premium cousin of Ripjaws. The equivalent 16GB kit is this one (out of stock at Rebeltech but anyway): https://www.rebeltech.co.za/14894-g...zb-16gb-kit-8gb-x2-ddr4-3200-16-18-18-38.html

That's rated to 3200 ... so 200 faster for R200 more lol. Worth it? Yes/No?

They're both compatible with the motherboard, as proven by this exhaustive list: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=2484&model=2503

EDIT: And a review of them, because Internet - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/74...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

Gaming wise? Maybe 1-2 fps. I'd say no.
[video=youtube;Er_Fuz54U0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y[/video]
 
Aah nice one, I knew I needed to check every component! So does that make this compatible with both the CPU and motherboard? https://www.rebeltech.co.za/11015-c...13r-16gb-2x-8gb-kit-ddr4-2133-pc4-17000-.html

Turns out that's the exact same price as this: https://www.rebeltech.co.za/9483-ki...16gb-2x-8gb-kit-ddr4-2133-pc4-17000-cl14.html

So Corsair vs Kingston, is RAM just RAM these days?

I haven't used DDR4 yet so don't know. RAM is confusing with different CL values and voltages etc. I notice the CPU RAM specification is 1.35V and the RAM on that site is 1.2V. I've never overclocked so don't know the differences. One of the regulars here will help I'm sure.
 
I haven't used DDR4 yet so don't know. RAM is confusing with different CL values and voltages etc. I notice the CPU RAM specification is 1.35V and the RAM on that site is 1.2V. I've never overclocked so don't know the differences. One of the regulars here will help I'm sure.

I read that people were saying that some RAM like G Skillz is good for overclocking but it will need the voltage to be increased to 1.35V, so my guess is that even if a motherboard supports increased voltages, stock RAM running at 1.2V should be automatically detected and supported. Is that correct?
 
Ok guys, so second-to-last update here... (last being a photo of the rig)

I've been reviewing all your suggestions here and looking at some reviews online and what's available in my budget, and it all settled out into this system spec below.

Is this stuff ok? Nothing here that will blow up? With a thumbs up I'll probably go ahead and just get this stuff from Rebeltech, hence all the links from them.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro ATX -> R2 000 (purchased pre-owned)
CPU: i7-6700 -> R2 700 (purchased new from Potter)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2133 16GB (2x8GB) -> R2 155
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 III -> R1 479
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB -> R6 99
Optical Drive: ASUS DVD Writer -> R214
PSU: Cooler Master GX650 80 PLUS BRONZE -> R1 437
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING -> R4 600
OS: Win 10 Pro OEM (from Carb) -> R270
Thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly -> R86

Anything else I need?

PS: Yes I realise I shot my budget to hell. Building a gaming PC on R10 000 wasn't possible.
 
Last edited:
Does this CPU come with the cooler, or is it oem? Might be worth checking that out, otherwise you'll need to add on a decent cooler. Otherwise I like the spec. That's a 6GB 1060 right?
 
Does this CPU come with the cooler, or is it oem? Might be worth checking that out, otherwise you'll need to add on a decent cooler. Otherwise I like the spec. That's a 6GB 1060 right?

Um yeah I'll check it with Potter :) And the 1060 is a 3GB. I know I'd like to get a 6GB, but unless we can find a new one for R4600 we'd need to look at Carb some more.
 
So this morning I ordered all parts indicated in my previous post from Rebeltech, and Rebeltech just advised that only one part isn't in stock: the CoolerMaster PSU.

Instead they suggested that I substitute it with this one, which I agreed to:
Corsair CXM CP-9020103, 650w @ R1317

Now I just wanna get this baby!!!

Thanks for the link Chromedome, which check through the thread :)
 
The changes I would make:

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R - R1064
PSU: Corsair CXM 650w - R1317

Saving: R535

And like the other said, it is seriously worth it going for the 6GB 1060...
 

Haha yup, was just gonna come point that out :P As for the case, it's a personal decision, I like the looks of the one I chose. Black cases are overrated.

I also deleted the 1060 3GB card after Urban told me he'd stop being my friend if I bought it. He is correct. I've asked Rebeltech if they can substitute it with a 6GB they can source somewhere (which wasn't showing on their website), or else I'll just go with the base build and find a 6GB card somewhere else.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X