New privacy settings for WhatsApp groups

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

WhatsApp has launched new privacy-focused group invitation settings to give users more control over which groups they are added to.

From the Settings menu, users can now select the Groups option under the Privacy section to change whether they can automatically be added to groups.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

WhatsApp has launched new privacy-focused group invitation settings to give users more control over which groups they are added to.

From the Settings menu, users can now select the Groups option under the Privacy section to change whether they can automatically be added to groups.
But it doesn't work on sajunky's phone... so its just rubbish. FiveEyes are after him.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Another sponsored rubbish. EVERY DAY WHATSAPP on MyBB news!
But it doesn't work on sajunky's phone... so its just rubbish. FiveEyes are after him.
It is rubbish as it suddenly stopped working on my phone without warning locking up my messages.

BTW, Whatsapp gives you no privacy nor security. It is a critical note especially when reading such titles.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

It is rubbish as it suddenly stopped working on my phone without warning locking up my messages.

BTW, Whatsapp gives you no privacy nor security. It is a critical note especially when reading such titles.
But its perfect security now... even you can't read your messages so you can't compromise yourself...

I think Whatsapp have won the privacy fight entirely.

rubber_otter

Expert Member

I think I am confused here.

Are you complaining about a free app?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I am complaining about pretending to be a free app. I pay the price for what they did to me.
What price was that?

Oh and you also did it to yourself, you had MORE than ample warning that platform support would be dropped for your brick.. you chose to ignore it.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Oh and you also did it to yourself, you had MORE than ample warning that platform support would be dropped for your brick.. you chose to ignore it.
What???. Nope, they didn't, no warning. One month before Whatsapp stopped working with a splash screen "This version has expired. Upgrade our Whatsapp" they released a new version which I installed. As a new version didn't bring any improvements, it becomes clear that the only reason for such upgrade was to install a kill switch.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What???. Nope, they didn't, no warning. One month before Whatsapp stopped working with a splash screen "This version has expired. Upgrade our Whatsapp" they released a new version which I installed. As a new version didn't bring any improvements, it becomes clear that the only reason for such upgrade was to install a kill switch.
They did... you ignored it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
And the ONE thing that would actually be useful - the ability for admins to delete messages for everyone - is not there.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
A private, invite only group needs an admin to delete messages? That is ridiculous.
A focused group with a specific purpose occassionally has people who didn't get the memo about no off-topic discussion. Banning people is a stupid way of dealing with it.

mattrudlles

A focused group with a specific purpose occassionally has people who didn't get the memo about no off-topic discussion. Banning people is a stupid way of dealing with it.
Perhaps in a business setting?

I can think of situations where this will be abused for sure. For example, a group where a complexes Trustees make decisions and have discussions - unnerving to image admins could delete messages.