Nokia N8 camera samples - throw away your iPhone and DSLR

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_teases_us_with_some_fullres_n8_camera_samples_we_drool-news-1612.php

There are so many things going around Nokia N8. In quite an unusual marketing move Nokia just published some "untouched" camera samples. Whoa! The camera on that thing is definitely a nice bit of kit. That should certainly help lift up some of that bad rep it has gotten from early reviewers recently. Some bad rep that obviously attracted the attention of somebody at Nokia.

http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-1.jpg
http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-2.jpg
http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-3.jpg
http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-4.jpg
http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-5.jpg
http://samples.republicpublishi.netdna-cdn.com/Nokia-N8-sample-6.jpg

By the way, the impressive image quality and Nokia's statement that the N8 comes with a "large" camera sensor made us dig things further and investigate how large it really is.

To see some of our surprising findings, just check out our blog post. Nokia N8 may as well have the largest camera sensor on a GSM cameraphone ever.
How large is the Nokia N9 image sensor http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-large-is-the-nokia-n8-12-megapixel-large-image-sensor/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
This phone is rocking...the price point is also very attractive..

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What I meant was this phone nullifies the need to have an iPhone (it runs Symbian^3) and also it takes photos so good you'd be fooled into thinking its done with an DSLR. Basically this phone takes a stab at all those saying get an iPhone and if you want good pics get a DSLR. This phone does both :p
I had the previous image king (Nokia N82) so I am very eager to get this one.

rapidblue

Expert Member
I must agree - VERY good camera for a phone. But please don't even compare it to a DSLR. Can stick an awesome f1.2 50mm lens on a DSLR and take awesome photos in very low light conditions and create awesome blurring effects for backgrounds. Definitely not gonna work on a phone - no matter how good the phone's camera is... So, don't throw away your DSLR throw away your muk 'n druk camera...
And regarding Symbian vs iPhone OS - that would be personal preference but the market in general tends to lean towards the iPhone OS (alot easier to use, more apps, faster), just look at the sales figures ;)

rapidblue

Expert Member
Actually just read that article in the first post. Yes, very impressive sensor size for a phone but the article says "sensor that rivals those found in compact digital cameras" - in other words a muk 'n druk - NOT A DSLR!! There is quite a difference between a "standard" digital camera's sensor and a DSLR's sensor!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
True - that was just a tongue in the cheek remark to get your attention. While the N8 has got a superior sensor if you compare it to other phones, P&S and even bridge cameras, it will never take on DSLR. It is also not really a competitor for P&S and bridge cameras since it has no zoom lens. Yet if you need something that is always with you and can take good pictures then this is as good as it gets.

The iPhone OS might be easier for the masses to consume but as a device it falls short on many features when compared to its rivals. The inferior shooter on the back of the iPhone is now even more outclassed with the arrival of this camera phone and 5mp becoming the standard for mid range phones.

Keeper

Honorary Master
A pro wouldn't even *think* of using his cellphone for a camera, if what he really needs is a DSLR.

it's nice to have a good camera on your cell, just like an iPhone user likes to have a fast, responsive, cellphone. did you see what I did there? I said cellphone.

roux might as well tell TV Cameramen that they can throw away their equipment because the nokia has a "very high quality video camera" as well.

seriously man, the iphone bashing is getting old - what does it even have to do with the nokia N8?

Comparing everything with the iPhone tells me you *know* it's an excellent device, but just don't have one for *some* reason and are trying to justify why you don't have one with *other* reasons

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Actually phone photography has really taken off in a big way and some people even produce movies and other broadcast content using phones. Its what you have and how you use - I have done a bit of shooting on phones and it can be quite fun once you know the limitation of the given device.

The iPhone can't do all this since it has a weak camera. I tend to focus my comparisons on the iPhone to make people aware of the many areas in which it fails. Sure it has a nice UI for mass consumption, but thats where it ends. I am just point that out when ever the occasion arises.

rapidblue

Expert Member
True - as a "camera" in your pocket to carry around all the time is definitely AWESOME!!!

Regarding the iPhone OS and what is considered "short falls" I'm not even gonna get started - that's another topic all together ;)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Regarding the iPhone OS and what is considered "short falls" I'm not even gonna get started - that's another topic all together ;)

Agreed - it is very debatable - lets leave it at that.

What is a fact is that as far as cameras goes Apple has got nothing.

rapidblue

Expert Member
Agreed - it is very debatable - lets leave it at that.

What is a fact is that as far as cameras goes Apple has got nothing.

Glad we can agree to disagree - he he ;)

I am an iPhone fanatic but I will admit that the camera in the iPhone is "outdated" compared to other devices. Then again, I'm into photography and thus don't use a camera on my phone. If I take 1 photo a month on my phone then it's a lot ;)

rapidblue

Expert Member

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
i think the future of photography and cinematography is still very open to change.
a director friend of mine shot some hd tv stuff recently on a canon 7d i think it was, wired to a steadycam rig.
look, it's not for everybody, but there was a time when video guys would have laughed at using a stills camera for video.
most of them probably still do, but if you can, why not, right?
at least attempt the technology and see if the market picks it up.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Nah, I'll just be so good that I'll have to quit my job and become a photographer. For me its a hobby and I want to see how cheap I can keep it.
My next camera will be the Kodak Z981 - once they are selling for less than R4000.

rapidblue

Expert Member
i think the future of photography and cinematography is still very open to change.
a director friend of mine shot some hd tv stuff recently on a canon 7d i think it was, wired to a steadycam rig.
look, it's not for everybody, but there was a time when video guys would have laughed at using a stills camera for video.
most of them probably still do, but if you can, why not, right?
at least attempt the technology and see if the market picks it up.

I know we getting a bit off topic here, but yes, a whole episode of "House" (season finale I think) was filmed with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II the other day. Just shows you that these devices are capable of broadcast quality HD video. Not ideal, but capable :)

rapidblue

Expert Member
Nah, I'll just be so good that I'll have to quit my job and become a photographer. For me its a hobby and I want to see how cheap I can keep it.
My next camera will be the Kodak Z981 - once they are selling for less than R4000.

Same, also only a hobby here but a hobby that I enjoy :) Have to throw some money at it every now and then :)