OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

You can turn the 3G radio on or off if you dig in the settings or with one of those widgets AFAIK.
 
You can turn the 3G radio on or off if you dig in the settings or with one of those widgets AFAIK.

I know that switching from WCDMA/GSM auto to GSM only turns 3G off in the settings, leaving the user only with Edge/GPRS. But I don't know how to disable Edge and only leave 3G on.

Searched for widgets but couldn't find anything
 
Well, so far this is what I have found really eats at the battery:

* Network time and date setting: Deselecting this and making it manual has made one heck of a difference. Noticed with an app called "Battery History" that this prevented the phone going to "sleep" when the screen was off, making the CPU run at 98% constantly.
* Changing from EDGE to 3g has actually made a difference, believe it or not. Quite a few articles stating that EDGE is not as effective as 3G and consumes more power than 3g. Tried this and so far after 2 hours the phone has only used 9% battery with use, checking mails, sending and receiving sms's and five calls.
* Handcent SMS app seems to run the the CPU constantly as well. Uninstalled this and there was a drastic improvement on CPU usage during sleep.

So here's hoping.......


u mean changing from 3g to edge?
 
has anyone tried launcherpro? i like the look of it. an alternative to sense ui?
 
where can i get a2sd+ for froyo?
i really want to move some of the apps from phone memory to sdcard but developers are slow to update their apps
 
I am not sure where to get it separately, the LeeDrOiD ROM I am using has it built in... Search on XDA a bit, sure you will find it easy enough.
 
I know that switching from WCDMA/GSM auto to GSM only turns 3G off in the settings, leaving the user only with Edge/GPRS. But I don't know how to disable Edge and only leave 3G on.

Searched for widgets but couldn't find anything

The same menu that lets you choose between WCDMA/GSM auto and GSM also lets you select WCDMA only, which would in effect be 3G (or HSDPA if available) only.

And battery life definitely does improve, it takes a couple of full-to-empty charges for the battery meter to correctly calibrate itself. With the widgets it is fairly easy to kill power hungry stuff like GPS and bluetooth when you don't need it. Having a task manager that constantly runs can use even more battery power than the programs it is supposed to kill, android is pretty good at sleeping processes that aren't actively doing anything. In addition the battery usage display screen will usually point out anything that isn't sleeping properly if your standby time does take a dive.
 
The same menu that lets you choose between WCDMA/GSM auto and GSM also lets you select WCDMA only, which would in effect be 3G (or HSDPA if available) only.

Thanks for this.

Had my Desire for almost three weeks and what I try to do to save battery but still enjoy what the phone offers
- Turn off mobile network completely at night
- Keep it on Edge/GPRS during the day and only put on 3G/HSDPA if I need to check some website or download something
- Use a plain black wallpaper
- Facebook/Twitter/Weather sync once a day
- No Facebook "fetch" notifications
- Push Gmail through exchange on HTC Sense Mail app
- GPS/WiFi/Blutooh turned off. Only turn on WiFi in the evenings when I'm at home

And it still doesn't last as long as I want it to, LOL

Would be interesting to read other people's settings
 
This sounds kind of bad, does anyone get a full day with their Desire and not turning on all the features that make it cool?

Yeah well, that was kinda the point that I was trying to make..... Its great to have a phone that can do all of these things but extremely unpractical to have it and not be able to use it properly because you have to turn all the "cool" things off to save battery, which then in effect turns it right back into a standard smartphone again......which is why my first post was titled "Have I missed something". this phone reminds me a lot of Paris Hilton: Great to look at, an intelligence that is buried deep within and takes some coaxing to surface and function properly, and simply famous for being famous, created by a successful marketing hype.....anyway, time will tell if it improves or not.
 
This sounds kind of bad, does anyone get a full day with their Desire and not turning on all the features that make it cool?

I get mine to last a day if I don't listen to any music off of it. Weather sync once a day is more than enough, I don't use twitter or facebook so those are off, but mail and talk run permanently. Darkish background, screen brightness set to low when I'm indoors (which is still plenty bright enough) and only activate bluetooth or WiFi when I'm actually going to use them. GPS is only turned on when I'm using Navigation, in which case it is plugged into a car charger anyway. While the battery life could be longer, I've never gotten frustrated by how long the phone lasts.
 
This sounds kind of bad, does anyone get a full day with their Desire and not turning on all the features that make it cool?

Yes i do, I use an app called y5 battery saver and what it does is automatically turn on your wifi if your in an area where u have connected to before, though your gps does than run. I play games, mxit, etc and it lasts a day. If i dont use the phone it will last for like 3 days
 
Hmm weird I use my phone fairly consistently the whole day, phone calls, smsing, mxit, games, music, etc and it only drops to about 30% at the end of the day... That was before Froyo! Now it only drops to about 40-45% although I use my iPod for my music more often now
 
How can i monitor what app exactly is using data. Even if i disable sync something is still sapping precious mb's!
 
Hmm weird I use my phone fairly consistently the whole day, phone calls, smsing, mxit, games, music, etc and it only drops to about 30% at the end of the day... That was before Froyo! Now it only drops to about 40-45% although I use my iPod for my music more often now

Two questions:

How long have you had the phone for? I read on Android forums that some people start experiencing battery life only after a month or so. Only had my phone for three weeks

Do you have mobile network enabled the whole time? If yes, is it 3G/HSDPA or only Edge/GPRS? I found data network to be the biggest drainer of my battery. If I go to sleep and leave the phone on with mobile network enabled, 8 hours later it will have dropped 20-25% of battery. If, however, I turn off mobile network, it only loses 4-5%
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X