OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

Would be worth trying, instead of waiting for the update to reach us. I remember reading somewhere that the update will be OTA with no download package available. Hope not.
 
I played with rooting (and unrooting) on Wednesday, and at the end of the process, flashed my Desire with the World Wide English rom RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984 (top link from here)

Imagine my surprise when noticing a dramatic increase in battery life: from loosing around 25% per day, to now around 8% per day on the same usage pattern (very little calls, a fair amount of playing, and data connection only enabled when actively using). Wishful thinking, a fluke, or something to it do you think? Anybody else had a similar experience after flashing something other than what came from LEAF?

Retail MTN handset.

EDIT: Anybody know someone looking for a white 32GB Vodacom iPhone 3GS?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, my battery life is about 20% better after my last LeeDroid flash, but my usage patterns are not 100% consistent, so it might be me getting used to the phone. I spend about 2 hours a day listening to Podcasts on the phone, less than 5 minutes phoning(max 15, got a work phone for the bulk of my calls), and an hour of stuffing around, maybe 2. Did not charge at all today, and have 48% left. Usually it would be on charge by now. If during the day it edges to below 50%, I charge it while driving, just to be sure I won't get stuck if I end up really using it later. Wifi is on 50% of the time, mostly overnight and when home, and also at clients where I have access to Wifi. 3G is off all of the time, except for when I use gps or internet.
 
Nashua mobile is crappy, endeless problems with them...

Anyone played with the Voice recognition input of text for sms facebooking, dialing...etc(rooted to leedroid)?
It always works when im connected to wifi, but does not work when not connected to internet...is an offline mode available?

My voice recognition works well over both Wifi and 3G. Offline it won't work. As I understand it uses the cloud to convert your voice data, so it is 100% internet dependent. I remember years ago trying to use Dragon Naturally Speaking for voice recognition...the app was HUGE just to be able to do that, so cloud usage is more practical. Only pity is the cost of mobile internet..
 
Howzit guys I need some clarification. I updated Google maps yesterday and now there are apps I never had before like Navigation and Places. What I want to know is does this navigation use GPS or 3G, in other words is it like garmin? It's icon is a little blue arrow?
 
I think is uses both. GPS to tell where it is, and 3g to download the maps as you move along. The full map is not stored on your phone as it is with Garmin.
 
I think is uses both. GPS to tell where it is, and 3g to download the maps as you move along. The full map is not stored on your phone as it is with Garmin.

That's right. If you leave the GPS on and turn off your 3G, you'll see a blank map. The 3G is there to download the map :)
 
Has anybody else had problems with syncing? My friendstream doesn't load anymore.Also I cant sync Twitter etc manually,when I try to nothing happens.Also my contacts which are linked with facebook has stopped updating.Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thanx in advance
 
Quick!!! Check for updates. Mine is busy downloading as I type this. (OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip)
Wow. Thought we would have to wait months still.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question about organizing photo albums:

When I go to see all albums, apart from whatever albums I loaded into the Pictures folder and photos I took with my camera, my Desire is also showing pictures of cars and points of interest from my Ndrive app and icons from my N.O.V.A. game. I tried everything and can't get rid of them or hide them. Only way is to delete and then the apps don't work.

Is there a way of telling the Desire to ONLY look for photos/albums in a specific folder?
 
Quick!!! Check for updates. Mine is busy downloading as I type this. (OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip)
Wow. Thought we would have to wait months still.

According to the posts flying around on XDA Developers

RUNNING THE OTA WILL LOSE YOU YOUR ROOT

There's currently no way to root with the new bootloader included in the OTA update. I'm sure there will be within a week, but just be aware...
 
Last edited:
So who all received the update? Just checked, nothing this side. But I am rooted and on 2.2. Speaking of, see LeeDroid 1.6a is out...he has been quiet for a few days. Gonna try it. The updates include:
V1.6a
Reduced boot sound volume
Custom bootanimation! tested & working (drop it in /data/local/)
Added Gallery 3D (Tested and working)
Added Android dialer (popular demand, you dont have to use it)
Added Home switcher
Added Genie Widget
Additional stability and speed tweaks
Fixed Quick office

Yeah, I suppose there will be big changes in the next week or so now that the Official one is out...keen to see what happens!

Another question, does the Update have 720p recording?
 
So who all received the update? Just checked, nothing this side.

Got the update last night. Standard Desire (3 weeks old on Vodacom). Yip, the 720p recording update is included. Ran a Linpack test before and after: 6.949 MFLOPS before compared to 40.398 MFLOPS after.
 
To be honest: No. Cannot really feel any major improvements since it was good to start with. Like the Wifi hotspot option that available now and the supposed better Microsoft Exchange and Ituns sync functions (yet to test it), but other than that its business as usual.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X