OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

Have I missed something?

I got myself a Desire on Saturday after researching all the phones on the market in the similar "high-end" classification. I am by open admission a cell-phone junkie and own about 17 of the things, have four different HTC devices alone, and I must be honest when I say that I am very disappointed with this phone.

I am not really a stranger to Android, I ported Android ROM's to both my TyTn 2 and my Touch Diamond, replacing Winmo with these ROM's, so I knew what to expect to a degree. This expectation and the praise that has been heaped on the phone all over the net made me choose it over other phones like the HD2.

Now I am not saying that it is not a ''classy'' device. Its lightning fast and can do a lot, but you basically have to carry around a ruck-sack with a car battery in it and keep the thing on charge most of the time just to be able to use half of the features available and this is my gripe.

What is the use of having a phone that has stunning live wall papers, fantastic internet browser, live social network feeds that syncs your friends and contacts from across many platforms in one "friends feed", that has live news updates and the like, when you cannot use much of this because of the battery life?

Basically, to be able to use this phone as my primary phone for a full day, I have to:

*Turn off automatic sync'ing of the feeds, weather and everything else,
* Disable live wall papers
* Put the screen brightness on the lowest and as it is, on the brightest setting its hardly visible in the day in the sunlight.
* Reduce my email functionality to manually send and receive or have the phone do so not more than once an hour, where I was accustomed to all day long "push mail" on my other phones, all of which are half the spec of this one!
* Make sure that I have a car charger ready at all times.
* Place it on charge as I get home or at he office, just in case I go somewhere again and need to have my phone with me, which is all the time.
* Make sure that I do not have GPS, WI-FI, 3G or anything else like this runnning for anything longer than a minute or two.
* Install a task manager to "Kill" tasks that run in the background and use the CPU, preventing the phone from "sleeping" so that the battery is not used.
* The above and quite a few other things that I will not bore you with here.

So my question is, why manufacture and sell a phone while advertising ALL of these amazing features, when in reality the user cannot even have 25% functionality of these features because the battery life is so poor? Why own a phone with all these features when practically, you cannot use 75% of them at any given time because doing so means that you will be stuck somewhere with a dead phone?

I know that everyone says that Android + phone like this = battery problems, but wow, 5 hours? Dead? Come on! Then to top it all off, with 2.2 now on, the phone as yet cannot be rooted (hopefully soon) so any additional steps that I could actually take to sort this problem are locked away from me because as the OWNER of the phone, I do not have administrator rights to it, and have to resort to ROOTING to do have this??

Nope, HTC for what its worth, I am one customer who is bitterly disappointed with this whole situation and I really hope that as a company, you are working hard at updates that will resolve this situation, because until then, this expensive Desire, is not desirable and will be left in the drawer while I go back to my trusty Nokia with 5 days battery life, running full steam on GPS, HSDPA, push email and skype and chat to mention but a few, running all the time.......
 
The battery life will get a bit better after a good few charges. I reckon a car charger is all you need apart from the standard charger, you should be able to do with just those.

Otherwise, ya, have to agree not the greatest battery life.

No need for app killers, the OS will manage that on its own.

As for 2.2, if you want it and root access, use a custom rom.
 
Don't use a task killer. Read this:http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/cwhm6/i_stopped_using_a_task_killer_last_week_to_see_if/
I stopped using a task killer last week to see if there is a difference. There is, and it's huge. (self.Android)
I haven't killed a single task in almost 7 days. Before that, I was opening AvancedTaskKiller almost every thirty minutes to kill a multitude of processes that I ignorantly believed were slowing down my phone and sucking up battery.
After a week of not killing a single task, I'm floored. Not only is my battery lasting at least 25% longer than before, but the phone almost NEVER glitches or lags. It is snappy, responsive, and stays alive for much longer than before.
Live wallpapers was always going to be a huge battery drain. Android provides that useful screen showing you what uses the most battery which is pretty cool.
 
drama queen... :p mine is all good, although i temporarily disable some apps its not as bad as you make it sound.

edit: if you have done proper research you would have come across this "problem" and saved yourself some moola
 
Last edited:
The battery life will get a bit better after a good few charges. I reckon a car charger is all you need apart from the standard charger, you should be able to do with just those.

Otherwise, ya, have to agree not the greatest battery life.

No need for app killers, the OS will manage that on its own.

As for 2.2, if you want it and root access, use a custom rom.

I made the mistake of updating to 2.2 before rooting, only find out afterwards that the 2.2 update prevents current rooting methods. As I understand in, the developer of Easyroot is working on a solution to this and hopefully this app with will able to root the Desire with 2.2 running on it, in the next few days.
 
drama queen... :p mine is all good, although i temporarily disable some apps its not as bad as you make it sound.

edit: if you have done proper research you would have come across this "problem" and saved yourself some moola

Yeah, you probably correct, but in my defense I did go into this but I didn't expect it to be as bad a problem as it is proving to be.
 
Don't use a task killer. Read this:http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/cwhm6/i_stopped_using_a_task_killer_last_week_to_see_if/

Live wallpapers was always going to be a huge battery drain. Android provides that useful screen showing you what uses the most battery which is pretty cool.

Have read up extensively on the use of the task killer or not. There are many arguments for and against this. In fact, there are a few chaps involved in the development of Android who have stated that using a task killer like ATK is in fact a "must have". What I have done is set it to ignore the essential processes and apps and only kill those that really should not be on, like for example the stock app, that I'm sure many people here do not use, but which keeps on re-activating itself time and again, using battery life.
 
Yeah, of course there are exceptions. This article was of course with reference to the Nexus One, which runs a totally pure form of Android, with no 3rd party software like Sense. I'd say you wanna keep a task killer for misbehaving apps but generally you should leave your phone to manage itself.
 
Yeah, you probably correct, but in my defense I did go into this but I didn't expect it to be as bad a problem as it is proving to be.

my N95-8GB could pull 3days but 5 is insane

im sure it will get abit better, my battery was extremely bad for two weeks and now it lasts just under two days, with wifi, bluetooth and some other apps running
 
my N95-8GB could pull 3days but 5 is insane

im sure it will get abit better, my battery was extremely bad for two weeks and now it lasts just under two days, with wifi, bluetooth and some other apps running

Wow, Ok so there IS hope somewhere on the distant horizon??? I would be happy, more than happy actually with just being able to go a full day, a full day being from the time I take off charge in the morning at around 06:00 until about 21:00-22:00 at night. Thanks for that reply, will continue to test and see how it goes then.
 
my N95-8GB could pull 3days but 5 is insane
I had E52 and E55 and yes the battery on those two is epic!!! But that's about it.... Build quality horrendous, Symbian outdated, screen benign in relation to a top end HTC's SLCD...
 
The large high rez screen uses a lot of power, and of course the CPU/GPU is a lot more powerful too, so that's where your power goes.
 
Wow, Ok so there IS hope somewhere on the distant horizon??? I would be happy, more than happy actually with just being able to go a full day, a full day being from the time I take off charge in the morning at around 06:00 until about 21:00-22:00 at night. Thanks for that reply, will continue to test and see how it goes then.

Your battery life should improve...took me a week before mine was fine. Granted, battery life still isn't great, and I always switch off my data usage due to something maybe using/abusing it when I am not looking. I play tons on my phone, so I always charge whenever I am at home or in the car, just in case I end up playing for long. It's not ideal, but it is a powerful piece of phone. Power comes at a price. After my Tytn 2 I am just glad to have a phone that actually works properly, and I got into the habit of constantly charging the thing due to gps chowing that battery dead in 30-60 minutes. The Android is much better at this though, or so it feels like. If I don't use the phone to play as much as I do I am sure I might get 2 days out of it.
 
I pretty much get a full day now. Yesterday I was playing with the phone a lot at work and then at home I was removing/updating/installing lots of apps etc. Played with the camera a bit, showed off 720p video recording and was playing with retro camera. It died at 10pm last night while using the gps etc.
 
Well, so far this is what I have found really eats at the battery:

* Network time and date setting: Deselecting this and making it manual has made one heck of a difference. Noticed with an app called "Battery History" that this prevented the phone going to "sleep" when the screen was off, making the CPU run at 98% constantly.
* Changing from EDGE to 3g has actually made a difference, believe it or not. Quite a few articles stating that EDGE is not as effective as 3G and consumes more power than 3g. Tried this and so far after 2 hours the phone has only used 9% battery with use, checking mails, sending and receiving sms's and five calls.
* Handcent SMS app seems to run the the CPU constantly as well. Uninstalled this and there was a drastic improvement on CPU usage during sleep.

So here's hoping.......
 
Well, so far this is what I have found really eats at the battery:

* Network time and date setting: Deselecting this and making it manual has made one heck of a difference. Noticed with an app called "Battery History" that this prevented the phone going to "sleep" when the screen was off, making the CPU run at 98% constantly.
* Changing from EDGE to 3g has actually made a difference, believe it or not. Quite a few articles stating that EDGE is not as effective as 3G and consumes more power than 3g. Tried this and so far after 2 hours the phone has only used 9% battery with use, checking mails, sending and receiving sms's and five calls.
* Handcent SMS app seems to run the the CPU constantly as well. Uninstalled this and there was a drastic improvement on CPU usage during sleep.

So here's hoping.......

How do you change from EDGE to 3g?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X