Official ICC 2015 CWC thread

Yep, also - making Amla capt for a match and AB still playing will mean that AB will still get banned if we have a slow over rate. He is the tour capt.

Sri Lanka, quite cleverly, used this tactic in a previous ICC tournament and they implemented this rule to stop such behaviour from occurring again. ( basically, at coin toss, the capt. didn't go but he was still the ' unofficial capt.')

I am fully aware. AB is the nominated captain.
 
Yeah, if AB plays, he has to be captain. That is the rule for the tournament. He can't transfer the role to someone else whilst still playing.

Incorrect, he doesn't have to be the captain in the specific match. He is the nominated captain for the tournament, thus he will get the punishment.
 
Missed the rest of the action and everything else till now.

Mr Mickey were Ireland bowled out for 20 overs? Scoreboard reads 45... :D

Well done to Kyle Abbott. decent figures .. alebit against a minnow. He can claim to be better than most bowlers at this stage or should I say those denied opportunity to play beyond this stage. But is he really better than JvdW, Zondeki, Rory, Morris, Rusty, Shezi & Marchant? I'm still not convinced.

I see someone suggested he play ahead of Philander :wtf:, and someone else said Morkel...

I don't think a WI side chasing 400 & poor IRE are the right teams to read too much into Abbott. If he continue to be selected I think Holder's record will definitely fall before SA are knocked out.

Logical changes JP for Farhaan, Philander for Abbott. However, I have a strong feeling they might retain Abbott and drop Farhaan for Philander, and QdK for JP. It will be extremely hard for them to drop Farhaan without dropping QdK considering his form. Philander has been miles ahead as out best seamer so he's a no brainer. Change bowlers' failures mean JP is also a no brainer. Plus Steyn&Morkel's indifferent form - "failing" against weak opposition - makes it hard to drop Abbott who's been statistically superior.
 
This will be the Proteas XI for the rest of the tournament - Amla, Faf, AB(c-wk), RR, Miller, JP, Philander, Abbott, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir

Faf must surely be wondering to himself what on earth he needs to do for people to realise he's been brilliant, yet gone unnoticed. To be honest I think AUS aside, every one of the other sides in this tournament would kill to have him in their side.

400+ and AB's records would not have been possible without him.

NB: In the last 12 months Faf averages 50.50, 4 centuries & 7 half-centuries (exactly like AB with both having played 23 innings). Only Amla has been head&shoulders ahead of everyone else, but there rest are more or less on par, yet Faf's stock is so so so so low. That's concerning. Am I allowed to blame the recent AB effect without being accused of all sorts of things?
 
Incorrect, he doesn't have to be the captain in the specific match. He is the nominated captain for the tournament, thus he will get the punishment.

Stupid rule especially if overall game end within time.

Anyone know why our over rate has been slow enough that AB now has this sword hanging over him ?
 
Stupid rule especially if overall game end within time.

Anyone know why our over rate has been slow enough that AB now has this sword hanging over him ?
Historically we have always suffered from a slow over rate, rather typical with playing 2 quickies with long run ups and having too many on field planning sessions.
 
This will be the Proteas XI for the rest of the tournament - Amla, Faf, AB(c-wk), RR, Miller, JP, Philander, Abbott, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir

Faf must surely be wondering to himself what on earth he needs to do for people to realise he's been brilliant, yet gone unnoticed. To be honest I think AUS aside, every one of the other sides in this tournament would kill to have him in their side.

400+ and AB's records would not have been possible without him.

NB: In the last 12 months Faf averages 50.50, 4 centuries & 7 half-centuries (exactly like AB with both having played 23 innings). Only Amla has been head&shoulders ahead of everyone else, but there rest are more or less on par, yet Faf's stock is so so so so low. That's concerning. Am I allowed to blame the recent AB effect without being accused of all sorts of things?

We should play exactly the same team for the next game(s) provided a change of JP for Farthaan. The fact that we had an extra batsman in the team the last 2 games gave the top and middle order more confidence. A 5th bowler can be found between JP and Faf and Rilee or Behardien if he plays.
 
We should play exactly the same team for the next game(s) provided a change of JP for Farthaan. The fact that we had an extra batsman in the team the last 2 games gave the top and middle order more confidence. A 5th bowler can be found between JP and Faf and Rilee or Behardien if he plays.
In referencing the extra batsman i.e. QdK/Farhaan, I assume you mean Abbott will miss out?

We started badly and have had a brilliant last couple of matches. That's enough to spur the guys on and make the players believe that they will win the world cup and actually go on to do that(I'm taking a chance with a decent money punt, something I didn't think I'd do:D).

However, we will not win anything minus Philander. I repeat, we will not win anything minus Philander.

Other teams have bowlers who can absolutely rip through batting orders and have displayed it - Boult, Starc, Southee. We on the other do not have that bowler. I think it's already too late for Morkel&Steyn to get to that level, and to be honest they haven't shown any signs of being anywhere near that good. The only player who has done that is Philander.

As well as Abbott has done, he is no Philander!!!

1. Morkel is our leading wicket-taker in the tournament. In the latter stages of the tournament the other teams will prepare pitches to aid their tall quick seamers and benefit their strength. That will also aid Morkel.
2. The mere presence of Steyn in our line-up strikes still strikes a bit of fear in certain players.
3. Philander recently hurt Australia, while IND&NZ know him all too well. Conditions in NZ&AUS suit him.

What that means is there's no benefit in picking Abbott ahead of any of these players. He stands no chance against even a Shane Watson or Brendan McCullum. Things can get messy for him.

The best thing to do is select Philander and give him the matches to get back up to speed(even though it would help Abbott to have a chance to build on his form). The reality is we will and do need Philander. So if he's fit, Abbott MUST make way. I'm not sure they'll drop QdK/Farhaan so someone will have to make way.
 
In referencing the extra batsman i.e. QdK/Farhaan, I assume you mean Abbott will miss out?

We started badly and have had a brilliant last couple of matches. That's enough to spur the guys on and make the players believe that they will win the world cup and actually go on to do that(I'm taking a chance with a decent money punt, something I didn't think I'd do:D).

However, we will not win anything minus Philander. I repeat, we will not win anything minus Philander.

Other teams have bowlers who can absolutely rip through batting orders and have displayed it - Boult, Starc, Southee. We on the other do not have that bowler. I think it's already too late for Morkel&Steyn to get to that level, and to be honest they haven't shown any signs of being anywhere near that good. The only player who has done that is Philander.

As well as Abbott has done, he is no Philander!!!

1. Morkel is our leading wicket-taker in the tournament. In the latter stages of the tournament the other teams will prepare pitches to aid their tall quick seamers and benefit their strength. That will also aid Morkel.
2. The mere presence of Steyn in our line-up strikes still strikes a bit of fear in certain players.
3. Philander recently hurt Australia, while IND&NZ know him all too well. Conditions in NZ&AUS suit him.

What that means is there's no benefit in picking Abbott ahead of any of these players. He stands no chance against even a Shane Watson or Brendan McCullum. Things can get messy for him.

The best thing to do is select Philander and give him the matches to get back up to speed(even though it would help Abbott to have a chance to build on his form). The reality is we will and do need Philander. So if he's fit, Abbott MUST make way. I'm not sure they'll drop QdK/Farhaan so someone will have to make way.

Then play Abbot against Pakistan and see how that goes. There is still the UAE game for Philander after that. Abbot has had two very good games albeit against weaker teams. But I like the idea of having a full confidence team goimg forward. Philander is the better bowler but will he be 100%?
 
Then play Abbot against Pakistan and see how that goes. There is still the UAE game for Philander after that. Abbot has had two very good games albeit against weaker teams. But I like the idea of having a full confidence team goimg forward. Philander is the better bowler but will he be 100%?
No. But for Philander 2/45 of 10 overs against PAK is better than 5/23 vs UAE going into a knockout match. We might bump into AUS/SL/ENG depending on weather&results, so they have quality batsmen than can challenge Philander more than UAE would have. He needs the PAK game.
 
I felt todays game was just no pressure for the proteas I like them try this against a skilled India team with pressure again.
 
No. But for Philander 2/45 of 10 overs against PAK is better than 5/23 vs UAE going into a knockout match. We might bump into AUS/SL/ENG depending on weather&results, so they have quality batsmen than can challenge Philander more than UAE would have. He needs the PAK game.

Its a tough choice and yes Philander should probably be given the next game if fit. I just hate changing a team that is on a high and removing a player that actually did very well on the bowling front. Hopefully Vern is fit to play a pool game.
 
In referencing the extra batsman i.e. QdK/Farhaan, I assume you mean Abbott will miss out?

We started badly and have had a brilliant last couple of matches. That's enough to spur the guys on and make the players believe that they will win the world cup and actually go on to do that(I'm taking a chance with a decent money punt, something I didn't think I'd do:D).

However, we will not win anything minus Philander. I repeat, we will not win anything minus Philander.

Other teams have bowlers who can absolutely rip through batting orders and have displayed it - Boult, Starc, Southee. We on the other do not have that bowler. I think it's already too late for Morkel&Steyn to get to that level, and to be honest they haven't shown any signs of being anywhere near that good. The only player who has done that is Philander.

As well as Abbott has done, he is no Philander!!!

1. Morkel is our leading wicket-taker in the tournament. In the latter stages of the tournament the other teams will prepare pitches to aid their tall quick seamers and benefit their strength. That will also aid Morkel.
2. The mere presence of Steyn in our line-up strikes still strikes a bit of fear in certain players.
3. Philander recently hurt Australia, while IND&NZ know him all too well. Conditions in NZ&AUS suit him.

What that means is there's no benefit in picking Abbott ahead of any of these players. He stands no chance against even a Shane Watson or Brendan McCullum. Things can get messy for him.

The best thing to do is select Philander and give him the matches to get back up to speed(even though it would help Abbott to have a chance to build on his form). The reality is we will and do need Philander. So if he's fit, Abbott MUST make way. I'm not sure they'll drop QdK/Farhaan so someone will have to make way.


I agree with you Abbott is like Wayne Parnell may prove against Ireland or weak teams but against big teams he will suffer under pressure that why I chose Philander has consistency and great line and adjusts well to pressure.
 
My team for the rest of the world cup

De Kock, Amla, Faf, AB, Rilee, Miller, Duminy, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir.
 
We must pick Philander if fit...wickets at the start is the only way to keep totals down if you end up chasing. We need proven wicket takers upfront.

Having said that, I can see Mccullum having Philander or Abbott for breakfast since they're line and length bowlers. Philander could go for just as many exactly because he tries to land the ball in the same spot all the time. If there isn't assistance from the pitch, he will go for plenty.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X