SlowInternet
Executive Member
- Joined
- Oct 11, 2006
- Messages
- 8,322
Hmmmm,
[video=youtube;azheB2D0Wy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azheB2D0Wy4[/video]
Good to see Yama****a do the haka.
Good
Hmmmm,
[video=youtube;azheB2D0Wy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azheB2D0Wy4[/video]
Good to see Yama****a do the haka.
Apologies for my troll posts Saturday evening.
I'm sorry but the current bunch of guys are way overhyped. There is simply a lack of talent in SA rugby at the moment. And no, the bunch that ran overseas are hardly any better.
Danie Gerber: Blame players, not coach
Cape Town - Legendary Springbok centre Danie Gerber says the players are to blame for last Saturday’s fiasco against Ireland at Newlands.
Ireland stunned the Boks 26-20 in Allister Coetzee’s first Test as new national coach.
It was Ireland's first ever win over South Africa on these shores and what made the feat even more remarkable was that they did so my playing the majority of the match with 14 men after CJ Stander was red carded in the 22nd minute.
But Gerber, 58, feels the blame cannot be laid at the door of the coach.
He instead criticised the players for making a mammoth 22 handling errors in the game.
Ireland only knocked on six times.
“They are professional players and should play like professionals. The coach can’t go on to the field and catch the ball for you,” Gerber told Netwerk24.
“You can coach a team as well as you want, but the players should also play their part. South African players’ lack of skills has been a problem for a long time and it was very clear to see at Newlands.”
This is not the first time Gerber has expressed his concern about the skills of South African players.
Sport24 reported last year about Gerber saying how hard it was to watch South African teams participate in Super Rugby.
“Our rugby is messed up by an obsession to mostly attack with the forwards. It’s really not very attractive to watch," Gerber said in April 2015.
Gerber played 24 Tests for the Springboks between 1980 and 1992, scoring 19 tries.
He was inducted into World Rugby’s Hall of Fame last year.
World Rugby to review eligibility protocols
Cape Town - World Rugby may reconsider its eligibility protocols that allow players to represent a country other than that of their birth.
According to the ESPN.co.uk website, World Rugby vice-chairperson Agustin Pichot is to lead the inquest into the make-up and design of the protocols.
The former Argentina scrumhalf and captain is against the existing rules, that allow a player to represent a country if they have lived there for three years.
According to Pichot, the period is too short.
"There are special cases where players moved when they were ten or twelve years old," he said.
"But just moving to a country, being taken from an academy, like they are doing in Tonga, and put into play, say, in an Ireland shirt, I'm against it. I think it is not right."
...
During last year’s Rugby World Cup in England, there were no fewer than 15 South African-born players who represented their adopted nations.
One key area is the conduct of agents, who Fijian coaches have long complained lure young players from the islands with unrealistic promises.
Pichot will also examine how rich club academies handle Pacific talent and the player-release regulations that island nations believe weaken their teams at major tournaments.
When Pacific players earn big money overseas they come under pressure from their paymasters to put club ahead of country, or to switch national allegiance.
In 2013 there were 272 players eligible for Fiji, Tonga and Samoa who were playing overseas, but only 198 were actually available as 74 had aligned themselves elsewhere.
Springbok forwards Duane Vermeulen and Lood de Jager have yet to train this week due to their respective injuries, reports JON CARDINELLI in Johannesburg.
On Monday, Bok coach Allister Coetzee confirmed that Vermeulen (knee) and De Jager (calf) had sustained minor injuries in the loss to Ireland at Newlands. Coetzee said that the No 8 and lock would be managed over the course of the week as a precaution.
On Tuesday afternoon, Vermeulen and De Jager were not at the training session held at St Peter’s College in Johannesburg. SARugbymag.co.za understands that the pair has been given more time to recover from their injuries.
In the absence of Vermeulen, Warren Whiteley trained with the starting side at No 8. Pieter-Steph du Toit took De Jager’s place at No 5.
Whiteley and Du Toit could start against Ireland at Ellis Park this weekend if Vermeulen and De Jager fail late fitness tests. In that event, Coetzee will also need to bring a couple of uncapped players to replace Whiteley and Du Toit on the bench.
Franco Mostert is the only other lock in the Bok squad at present. With regard to the reserve loose forward position, Coetzee may find it harder to choose between Jaco Kriel, the Lions flanker who calls Ellis Park home, and Sikhumbuzo Notshe, who impressed for SA A in the recent fixture against the England Saxons. Kriel and Notshe were both used as back-row alternatives at the training session on Tuesday.
Coetzee will announce his match 23 at 13:00 on Thursday.
Lucky for Wales, no second game against the Chiefs.
Good win by the SA u20s. Came from behind to beat France 40-31.
Was a grind, for sure. Line outs were a disaster. Wtf??? And French forwards outmuscled us for most of the match. We got some class in the back line though. Bosch is outstanding!!