Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

howdy, none of you bleeding edge, custom ROM runners probably care, but I managed to update my phone officially through kies this morning, took me a few tries but managed to do it in the end.
 
I just had a look on the blog, looks like it is available for MTN

http://www.samsungblog.co.za/blog/s...laxy-s-froyo-update-availability-south-africa

Available on MTN
Submitted by WarrenB_ZA (not verified) on Sat, 2011-02-12 18:30.

I have both a Vodacom and MTN Galaxy S.
Both are running: PDA:JM3 / PHONE:JM2 / CSC:JM2 (XFA)... 2.2-update1.

The MTN one is now (today) showing at PDA:JS5 / PHONE:JPY / CSC:JS4 (XFA) as available.

The Vodacom one does not show the update.
Even when swopping the SIM Cards it does still not show the firmware as available.

I though the firmware was tied into the network?

Can one of the moderators
Submitted by WarrenB_ZA (not verified) on Sun, 2011-02-13 08:52.

Can one of the moderators delete my first post above?
I typed it all out again when it looked as though it did not post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The update was Froyo... so I guess I have to just wait for the Vodacom release.

On a side note when doing the upgrade it left all the apps, messages, contact, settings etc on the phone.
ie. did not wipe the phone's data. All that was needed was to setup the home screen again, and sort by icons in the menu. :)

The phone now takes a bit longer to start up (I am doing direct comparisons to the one still on 2.1),
but overall feels a lot quicker when navigating and doing lots of taks at the same time. There is now also an option to turn Data On/Off so I can finally get rid of the APNon/off widget.

Flash is also now available so browsing is a lot richer experience - haven't tested enough to see if this slows things down when browsing.

Contacts now have a option to search quicker - can't see how I lived without this before.

Onscreen keyboard has also been improved.

Very good experience even though the firmware did take a while to download and update (15-30min on Iburst).
 
Yup, local phone on mtn. Took a few tries but it happened in the end. Updated to 2.2.1

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Once you installed custom firmware is it possible to become legal again? Like no rooting etc, to the standard mtn rom? My kies says there is an update available but when I click on it it just shows nothing.
 
how did you do it? i plugged in Kies but nothing there
ps. also with mtn

Yea me too ,,,,what are we not doing here ????

what do u guyz think of going to csc and getting ppl thr to do it for us ,,,,wud it be finished in waiting time or cud it take longer??
 
Kies sucks donkey balls... I see the update, but each time I try and upgrade, it says phone disconnected and freezes. F**k you Kies. Upgrade my goddamn phone.
 
@ThePhilospher

Backup all contacts with gmail.
I just flashed a custom Rom, on Froyo though, and did a wipe, but all my photos and music were still on my internal sd.

That and whatever else I'd saved on it.

To my inexperienced opinion, it didn't wipe anything besides my personal data.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

the internal sd, is the one that came with the phone?
 
Anyone know when the Vodacom update is coming?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X