Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Somehow I feel really fortunate and lucky mine has updated :) (on MTN). I know I might be rubbing salt but what the hell :). I also had to try mine a couple of times before it upgraded, looks like it just loops and doesn't work but came through in the end. Just check if it install new drivers on your PC after the downloading part and fails, then you can maybe try restarting your PC and retrying. My 2 cents.
 
@cocococo, nope, it's not the battery thing. I have this same problem, and my phone is fully charged. I have tried everything, even doing a factory reset. and every time its the same damn thing. Sigh, guess I'm gonna have to go into a service centre to get it done. Samsung software really lets this awesome phone down. Sadly, my GF keeps reminding me that her iPhone never gives issues with updates. Kies is a POS compared to iTunes.

****. so no hope of getting it done. If anyone manages please report back here.
 
Somehow I feel really fortunate and lucky mine has updated :) (on MTN). I know I might be rubbing salt but what the hell :). I also had to try mine a couple of times before it upgraded, looks like it just loops and doesn't work but came through in the end. Just check if it install new drivers on your PC after the downloading part and fails, then you can maybe try restarting your PC and retrying. My 2 cents.

Thanks. I'll keep trying.
 
Somehow I feel really fortunate and lucky mine has updated :) (on MTN). I know I might be rubbing salt but what the hell :). I also had to try mine a couple of times before it upgraded, looks like it just loops and doesn't work but came through in the end. Just check if it install new drivers on your PC after the downloading part and fails, then you can maybe try restarting your PC and retrying. My 2 cents.

About how many times did you try? And did it also do the same thing (disconnet the device; connect it again and say there's new firmware available)?
 
cocococo, my SGS is doing exactly the same thing as yours.

I've been trying for an hour, but it just loops :(
 
Okay so i have bricked my phone. I have tried the jig cable thing but it didnt work. Then i tested my battery in another phone and it is dead as a doornail. no power. is it possible to fry a battery during a flash? I was writing new bootloader so that I could get 3 button fix working.

If my jig cable doesnt work, what other options do i have? Does anyone know of someone who can use a JTAG to write new bootloaders for me? if i send it back to samsung, will they be able to tell that it was bricked because of bad flashing?
 
cocococo, my SGS is doing exactly the same thing as yours.

I've been trying for an hour, but it just loops :(

It's really strange. I've rebooted pc and done a factory reset on phone. It must be a kies error. I'm going to keep trying periodically. The lack of other comments on here leads me to believe that everyone has the same problem.
 
About how many times did you try? And did it also do the same thing (disconnet the device; connect it again and say there's new firmware available)?

Sounds about the same yes, I noticed the offer for upgrade on sunday evening, did not work sunday. Tried maybe three times on monday morning with maybe the third or fourth try successful. But the download section for me took a while so around lunch time monday it upgraded. Not sure if I was imagining but, I think, on the last try there was a green progress bar running on the download screen that appears on the phone. Cannot remember if it did that for all the tries. Mine bombed out a few times with the phone in what I assume was some download mode, after which I restarted the phone by just holding the power button (of the phone), with no ill effect afterwords and just kept trying.
 
Sounds about the same yes, I noticed the offer for upgrade on sunday evening, did not work sunday. Tried maybe three times on monday morning with maybe the third or fourth try successful. But the download section for me took a while so around lunch time monday it upgraded. Not sure if I was imagining but, I think, on the last try there was a green progress bar running on the download screen that appears on the phone. Cannot remember if it did that for all the tries. Mine bombed out a few times with the phone in what I assume was some download mode, after which I restarted the phone by just holding the power button (of the phone), with no ill effect afterwords and just kept trying.
OK thanks
You would think that they would get the update ready to deploy before letting it show up on KIES.
 
/shakes head
/bangs head on wall

will wait till the mtn upgrade is 100% available to prevent going to the hospital with a concussion
 
/shakes head
/bangs head on wall

will wait till the mtn upgrade is 100% available to prevent going to the hospital with a concussion

U n me in the same boat :)
Hopefully tomm will be a good day

Till then ,,,signing off
 
My experience:

KIES tells me update available, then installs a "plug in update". After that it keeps on losing the USB connection as soon as update starts. Seconds later it reconnects and then starts over again (without the plug in update).
I have restarted the phone numerous times.
KIES uninstall / reinstall only gets me back to square one, where it reinstalls the plug in update.
 
UPDATE SUCCESSFUL :D

Switched on Kies, plugged in SGS via USB cable, immediately a popup told me there was firmware update available, Windows 7 asked for confirmation, agreed, a few seconds later another popup, confirmed, the download on my 4mbs line took about 6-7 minutes, then updated phone with new software, and the phone rebooted. All in all took about 15 minutes.

Now running Firmware 2.2.1 with Vodacom branded phone, baseband I9000XXJPY, Kernel 2.6.32.9, build FROYO.XWJS5

I'm a happy chappie ;)

The only problem is that I have 6 pages of apps as before, but now all sorted alphabetically. :)
 
Last edited:
UPDATE SUCCESSFUL :D

Switched on Kies, plugged in SGS via USB cable, immediately a popup told me there was firmware update available, Windows 7 asked for confirmation, agreed, a few seconds later another popup, confirmed, the download on my 4mbs line took about 6-7 minutes, then updated phone with new software, and the phone rebooted. All in all took about 15 minutes.

Now running Firmware 2.2.1 with Vodacom branded phone, baseband I9000XXJPY, Kernel 2.6.32.9, build FROYO.XWJS5

I'm a happy chappie ;)

The only problem is that I have 6 pages of apps as before, but now all sorted alphabetically. :)

I still can't update.
 
Ive got an mtn phone with a voda sim.... Gonna try get my hands on an mtn sim...
If any one goes into a mtn centre in the jhb area and u got the update,pls let me know where u went...
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
After yesterday's experience with KIES I was on my way to a service center today. Tried one last time - it worked!
Things that might have made the difference:
Used home WiFi / ADSL connection instead of Voda 3G dongle at work
Restarted phone and computer (again!)
Removed MTN SIM from Voda branded phone.
Time? Maybe the servers are struggling?
 
When u say removed mtn sim? Did u put a voda sim in or without a sim?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X