Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

so just got off the phone with samsh*t, they say monday 21st, only available from service centres. No charge if its under warranty.
 
Ok so if ive got an XFM phone which i presume is MTN but now im using a vodacom sim card, who do i take it to?
I got this phone from some one who got it from alcatel i think...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Ok so if ive got an XFM phone which i presume is MTN but now im using a vodacom sim card, who do i take it to?
I got this phone from some one who got it from alcatel i think...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

MTN carries the warranty, so don't go with your Vodacom sim to them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
It's official, I will not consider Samsung phones in SA again. Their hardware is awesome, their support is fn garbage.
 
A little earlier in the thread I mentioned that I was having issues flashing roms through odin, every rom I tried including the stock samsung roms would result in my phone freezing and the screen turning a solid colour and not been able to boot into recover mode. Turns out my phone was not happy with certain usb ports on my pc, I tried 5 usb ports and had the same problem, until I found one that worked perfectly. Even though all my usb ports work perfectly, my phone did not seem to like them very much...
 
A little earlier in the thread I mentioned that I was having issues flashing roms through odin, every rom I tried including the stock samsung roms would result in my phone freezing and the screen turning a solid colour and not been able to boot into recover mode. Turns out my phone was not happy with certain usb ports on my pc, I tried 5 usb ports and had the same problem, until I found one that worked perfectly. Even though all my usb ports work perfectly, my phone did not seem to like them very much...

That is really strange, all the flashes through this usb works?
 
This is just another money making thing...
South african companies like to do this to us...
Some people will be paying for an update which is supposed to be free...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
i got my update form the service centre in CT SAMTECH and it took about 30 -40 min (went to canal walk ate lunch went back) and it was TOTALLY free .
They did want proof of purchace Cus they will charge for the upgrade if phone is out of warrenty .
Update is Brilliant though Well worth the effort :)
 
i got my update form the service centre in CT SAMTECH and it took about 30 -40 min (went to canal walk ate lunch went back) and it was TOTALLY free .
They did want proof of purchace Cus they will charge for the upgrade if phone is out of warrenty .
Update is Brilliant though Well worth the effort :)

The handset was only released in June 2010 internationally. How could it be out of warranty?


Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
I have an XFV phone and kies just started showing a new fiemware version. Now I just need to charge my phone and then I can update. Does anyone know why the phone has to be fully charged? Doesn't it keep charging throught the micro usb cable while updating.
 
They just over cautios im sure but it might be written into the update to check battery status (my old HTC tytn2 wouldn't update roms unless i had 50 %)
i just tested the Standard headphone / Mic combo i got with the phone that never answered a call on 2.1, now answers and cancels calls and plays the call audio through the headphones...before i had to take out the headphones and answer calls normally .
Not sure if this was a global problem or just on my sgs
 
Last edited:
They just over cautios im sure but it might be written into the update to check battery status (my old HTC tytn2 wouldn't update roms unless i had 50 %)

Seems like it to me as well. It says the update should take 5-30 mins but they want you to have 100% battery power.
 
So I tried upgrading now. It says firmware available do you want to update, then I get some tips (don't remove cable, charge battery etc), then when I clicked update the first time it dowloaded some new plug-in and the just told me a new firmware version is available again. Now everytime I click update Kies restartsand I'm back to square 1. Goddamnit

Edit: I'm hoping that it's because my battery is on 50%. I'll charge it fully and try again.
 
Last edited:
@cocococo, nope, it's not the battery thing. I have this same problem, and my phone is fully charged. I have tried everything, even doing a factory reset. and every time its the same damn thing. Sigh, guess I'm gonna have to go into a service centre to get it done. Samsung software really lets this awesome phone down. Sadly, my GF keeps reminding me that her iPhone never gives issues with updates. Kies is a POS compared to iTunes.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X