Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

U can see what Firmware u are on when u connect to Kies and see the current firmware ,,,now in the end of that u will see either XFM or XFV or something similar ,,this tells u whether u are on mtn contract of vodcom or unbranded etc ....

thanks

installing kies to check
 
tried an update last night-nothing
tried today-nothing
updated kies-nothing
so its available tomorrow?
did kies say firmware upgrade available cos the phone was disconnected and did not know what network etc I was on?
 
Any one know how big in Mb the update is?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Samsungsa twitter just tweeted half a minute ago that updates will be available to all via kies tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Samsungsa twitter just tweeted half a minute ago that updates will be available to all via kies tomorrow.

They also provided this information:

Regular Samsung Blog readers will already be aware that Android 2.2 for Samsung Galaxy S is currently available from Samsung-Approved Service Centres and via the KIES method tomorrow.

There are a few things that you should please note should you opt to conduct the upgrade yourself via KIES:

Kies 1.5.3.x users should upgrade to Kies 2.0.x first

Kies 1.5.3.x users will not see the update or be able to upgrade their devices.

For customers with Vodacom customized software the new version will be:
I9000XWJS5_XFVJS1_XXJPY

Customers with Open software (i.e. MTN, Cell C, 8.ta and other) the new version will be:
I9000XWJS5-OXXJS4-XXJPYM

You can download the latest version of KIES from www.samsungmobile.co.za

Please call Samsung Support on 0860 SAMSUNG should you need any further assistance.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Regards,
Samsung Support team

http://samsungblog.co.za/blog/samsung-support/2011/02/android-22-upgrade-galaxy-s-what-you-need-know
 
My box the phone came in has XFV on the barcode sticker at its end. Its definately a Voda branded phone.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
I got an unbranded GT I9000 , with XEU (UK?) but with eclair 2.1 XXJM1 / OXAJM1.

My kies is really unreliable so i dont want to update to the officiall froyo using it.

I was wondering if i can flash a custom froyo rom straight from where i am now or must I first flash a official froyo rom? Also if i flash a rom do i lose all apps? I have already backed up photos and videos and music. I have taken off the lag fix. all that is different to my stock phone is it is still rooted.

I will first get the 3 button fix working using HEIMDALL, method. I have e-fused and !@ in my dump file.

What part of the rom changes it to froyo? is it the kernel in the rom?



EDIT: fark! i brikced my phone! i used the heimdall method, it said loader were installed properly, but my phone never restarted. it is just dead. Will a jig work to unbrick it?
what are my other options
 
Last edited:
Maybe too early but theres still no upgrade for me....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Maybe too early but theres still no upgrade for me....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

same here
you would think its automated.
But i Guess the dude at samsung has to have at least 2 cups of coffee, one doughnut and update his facebook page before he will even consider pressing enter.
 
Last edited:
I'm one "those" people who've installed a number of different roms on my SGS. Phone started out as a "XFV". Do you guys think I can take it to a Vodacare and as for a flash back to the new "XFV" or XFA froyo rom??

I would at least like to try the "official" version...

OR, is it possible for someone with an official rom to "dump" and share??

Thanks,
D
 
Nothing for XFM either...


Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Pls dont say that :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X