Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Yip. Found that if I turn of 3G and wifi (and obviously gps) while not using it, the battery lasts longer. :) Small price to pay for such a nice phone. ;)
 
To the guys that have updates to froyo... Did your product code change to KOR?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 
You guys should really try flashing a custom ROM - I was hesitant to do it for a long time, but gave in this morning. It really was much simpler than I anticipated it to be and with my phone now running Froyo, with a complete EXT4 overhaul lax fix, it is miles ahead of Eclair running any sort of lag fix, especially OCLF.

Even if it's a VodacomLive phone?
 
Even if it's a VodacomLive phone?

You mean a Vodacom branded firmware, with the Vodafone startup and shutdown animations? If so, then yes... I also have one. After flashing a custom ROM you get rid of those horrid animations, only to have them replaced by the beautiful "Galaxy S" animations. Using SGS Tools you can even disable the sounds played during those animations.
 
Is the official froyo released?

Official Froyo is not released, no. The guys over at XDA are doing one helluva job in producing stable, optimized custom ROMs for the SGS. I'm running the Doc_Kalpik JM6 V6 ROM, with the SpeedMod kernal. Phone feels fresh, fast and willing to do my bidding... :p
 
You mean a Vodacom branded firmware, with the Vodafone startup and shutdown animations? If so, then yes... I also have one. .

Ah yes thanks that's the one then. Yebo Gogo on switch off and then the ghastly vodofone red logo on startup. Thanks I will give the flashing a try.
 
Official Froyo is not released, no. The guys over at XDA are doing one helluva job in producing stable, optimized custom ROMs for the SGS. I'm running the Doc_Kalpik JM6 V6 ROM, with the SpeedMod kernal. Phone feels fresh, fast and willing to do my bidding... :p

Its a good feeling

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Does anyone have any accessories for their galaxy?

Sent from GT I9000 running Tayutama Edition Superlite with Zenkinz22 speedmod kernel.. zoom zoom
 
If you flash a custom rom how easy is it to get back to your original rom? and also would your apps be saved or will you have to reinstall ?
 
well my battery seems to discharge pretty quick, so I'm just thinking that I messed up the battery by doing what I did....

Maybe I'm just being paranoid for nothing :\

you sure GPS is off :P cause when i got my phone it was always on... and was killing the battery :)

but else ya its a one day phone.
 
I received a nasty surprise yesterday. SMS from Vodacom informing me that my 110mb data bundle was 71% used. This is only after one day and I only made calls and a bit of browsing for about 5 minutes. The phone died at about 16:00.

I then looked at our Vodacom account and my business partner's bill for data last month was R850. He also recently moved over to the Galaxy. This never happened on our Windows Mobile phones, hence my 110mb data plan.

Anyone else experienced this?
 
Did you download a lot of apps or something? That is strange. Maybe you have some dodgy app.
Also check your Accounts and sync settings. Maybe it downloaded a lot of Gmail emails or something? They shouldn't use that much data though.

If you're on Froyo you can download an app called TrafficInfo to see how much data each app uses. Not possible on earlier versions of Android though.
 
Did you download a lot of apps or something?

Not yesterday. Just 5min of trying to log into a website and about 20 calls which shouldn't use data.

That is strange. Maybe you have some dodgy app.
I'm going to remove all other apps.
Also check your Accounts and sync settings. Maybe it downloaded a lot of Gmail emails or something? They shouldn't use that much data though.
I specifically swithed off sync with gmail last month.

Funny, maybe I'll just flash and get on with it.
 
i have a 100 meg databundle... i browse the web, use chat programs, download the odd app and i use about 100 :) so definately something funny there :)

your not using the google maps are you ?
 
i have a 100 meg databundle... i browse the web, use chat programs, download the odd app and i use about 100 :) so definately something funny there :)

your not using the google maps are you ?

Im quite bummed, bought a Gig data bundle the first day I had the phoned, didnt end up using most of it. Eventually forfeited 650MB :/ Last time I buy too much data!
 
There's a 99% chance its an app. It happened to me before and in my case it was my antivirus. You can download 3G watchdog to track just how much data you use though it doesn't tell you which app is using your connection.
 
There's a 99% chance its an app. It happened to me before and in my case it was my antivirus. You can download 3G watchdog to track just how much data you use though it doesn't tell you which app is using your connection.

What antivirus? Is it the app simply called "Antivirus"?

Lookout is a good security program to use. Not only helps protect from dodgy apps but can help you find your phone if it goes missing. I'd recommend it. Although you need to keep your phone's data connection on if you want to track it over the internet, and if it's stolen it will only help if the thief is stupid.
It wont suck data like that "Antivirus" app. I use it and I don't usually get more than a 10mb bundle over 2 months, because I mostly use wi-fi.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X