Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Whats the MMS settings for the phone, Mine is active but I cant seem to receive any. The message comes through but gets stuck on 'Downloading', not sure what to do as I have gotten many pics over MMS and cant view any of them :(

Not sure if you're having the same issue but I have the correct MMA settings yet mine still gets stuck on 'downloading'. To download it I have to switch off wi-fi. Then I have to go to settings > wireless and network > mobile networks > Access Pt Names and I edit on the MMS access point and change the "APN type" (right at the bottom) to "internet and MMS". So whenever I want to download an MMS I go back to Access Pt Names and select that APN
 
Not sure if you're having the same issue but I have the correct MMA settings yet mine still gets stuck on 'downloading'. To download it I have to switch off wi-fi. Then I have to go to settings > wireless and network > mobile networks > Access Pt Names and I edit on the MMS access point and change the "APN type" (right at the bottom) to "internet and MMS". So whenever I want to download an MMS I go back to Access Pt Names and select that APN


yeah the same problem I'm having, however your method didn't work for me. Still stuck on downloading..

EDIT: When packet data is off, i cant recieve the MMS's. Mine is always off to save battery and I use wifi at home. Isnt there a way for packet data to activate itself incase of an incoming MMS ?
 
Last edited:
Successfully converted another to go with the SGS as opposed to the iphone. It wasn't difficult as she was already wary of the iphone.
 
Whats the MMS settings for the phone, Mine is active but I cant seem to receive any. The message comes through but gets stuck on 'Downloading', not sure what to do as I have gotten many pics over MMS and cant view any of them :(

I also have this problem. Will look into it a bit later - I don't receive allot of mms's so it doesn't annoy me as much
 
yeah the same problem I'm having, however your method didn't work for me. Still stuck on downloading..

EDIT: When packet data is off, i cant recieve the MMS's. Mine is always off to save battery and I use wifi at home. Isnt there a way for packet data to activate itself incase of an incoming MMS ?

download an app called APN On Off, has a setting to disable packet data but keep MMS active.. works for me
 
I seriously think we need a FAQ thread stickied for the most popular 'droids (including the SGS, of course). I see people are starting to ask the same questions over-and-over again. The FAQ section at the beginning of this thread isn't really up to date...
 
So the final chapter in my little battery-pulling saga:

- Used the home-made JIG to get the phone into download mode
- Reflashed stock 2.1 ROM using ODIN
- Applied the three-finger salute fix: that's working perfectly now (hopefully no need for JIG in future)
- Rooted
- Installed the Darky v8.1 ROM
- All good.

Big smiles this side.

MTN and their 6-8 week repair policy: pfft...

Thank you to everyone who assisted.

What firmware did you flash with? Can you please give me a link to download it.

Bricked my phone too. But want to try the Jig method before I take it to MTN.
 
Hi all... just want to post some "3 button combo fix" results with my MTN Galaxy S and hope that some users find this useful:
Firstly, my SGS's details (Stock Eclair 2.1):
PDA: I9000XWJM3
PHONE: I9000XXJM2
CSC: I9000OXXJM2

My 3 button combo mode did not work out of the box. I ordered the SGS from MTN and got it the day MTN released it last year.
I still run 2.1 stock Eclair and as many users anxiously wait for the 2.2 Froyo update expected in February.
I don't have any lag fixes installed and would like to test out official froyo first before using the project-voodoo.org lagfix.

However, I wanted to have the 3 Button Combo working in any case: Here are the steps I followed and had immediate first time success with!

Please note that I didn't have any experience with flashing/rooting/android before and was glad that I did not brick this dream phone. Just some basic computer knowledge is required to use the process below. I have never used ODIN or HEIMDALL before.

1. I used the HEIMDALL method in the xda thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821698) to begin with.
Download all the latest files as in description of the thread. I used post #620 by kunjar as the steps seamed the clearest.

2. Although the latest Heimdall method claims to work on any SGS, I wanted to make sure that I have the block that reads "!@" as explained in the thread:

2.1 I downloaded the app "Terminal Emulator" from the market and installed it.
2.2 I downloaded z4root v1.3.0 and installed it. After installation I did not run z4root immediately.
2.3 I rebooted the phone. Enabled USB Debugging mode. Run z4root.
2.4 With z4root open, I chose "Temporary Root" since I didn't want the root to be permanent (for warranty issues)
2.5 After a successful "Temporary Root", I opened "Terminal Emulator" and ran the commands as in the thread. Dump was successful.
2.6 I then copied the dump file and searched for the string. Result: I had the "!@" (whatever that means haha)
2.7 I rebooted the phone, tested with "root checker app" that the phone was successfully un-rooted. I uninstalled "super user" and "terminal emulator"

3. Go to post #620 by kunjar (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821698&page=62)
Follow the steps exactly and you should have success fixing your 3 button combo mode!

Please note:
- Prior to "Temporary Root" and Step 3, My phone was fully charged (voltage check >3800)
- Prior to Step 3, all other USB devices was plugged out, silly programs (including all KIES-related programs) and the anti-virus were disabled.
- I also received the "failed" error after the first time I hit "Start", but you just hit "start" immediately again and the flashing should be over and done with within 30 seconds!

Conclusion:
-If my phone passed the "!@" test, I'm pretty sure at least other MTN users' phones will be ok as well.
-Therefore you probably can skip straight to step 3 and follow the steps in the thread #620. (which implies no "temporary rooting" or Hex editors..)
-Heimdall method works!
-z4root's v1.3.0 "temporary root" seams very safe, really only roots your phone temporarily and after reboot it will be un-rooted again :)

Hope you have success!
 
Anybody heard any news on the official froyo update, maybe i was expecting to much thinking it would be available on the 1st of feb.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Right, I think we should stop asking, because every time someone asks they seem to move the date back, this is getting effing ridiculous.

"Kindly note the Android 2.2 version software will rectify all issues on the handset and will be released in April."

I feel like kicking something, wonder if it is worth it going to talk/shout to/at someone at the Samsung shop in Canal Walk?

And none of the "If you are not satisfied with the answer we provided, please click here" and "you have a question on another product, click here" links work. Nice one Samsung.
 
Last edited:
For those of us that have flashed with CWM, is there any way to get the stock Samsung recovery menu back and get 'official' froyo once released?
 
For those of us that have flashed with CWM, is there any way to get the stock Samsung recovery menu back and get 'official' froyo once released?

Yes you can boot to 3E recovery within the clockwork recovery, if thats what you are looking for
 
Hi guys

So if I were to buy this phone and wanted to root it and load a custom ROM, would I need to do the following?

1) Download, install and run z4root
2) Copy custom ROM to my phone's root SD directory
3) Download, install and run ROM Manager
4) Reboot into recovery mode and install the custom ROM from there

What about all this lagfix stuff I have been reading about and this 3 button combo stuff. Can anyone explain to me what these things are please?
 
Yes you can boot to 3E recovery within the clockwork recovery, if thats what you are looking for
Cool, thanks

...or just flash one of the "officially" leaked firmwares from Samsung, which takes away CWM. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that though. :p
Yeah just wanted to check if I could install and play with the local release of Froyo(when released on Kies), particularly interested in battery life. Currently sucks on 9.1 lol
 
1) Download, install and run z4root
That's a start, yes.

2) Copy custom ROM to my phone's root SD directory
Best would be to download and install ClockWork Mod (CWM) Recovery before flashing a new ROM...

3) Download, install and run ROM Manager
I prefer doing everything from CWM...

4) Reboot into recovery mode and install the custom ROM from there
That's where CWM comes in - it overrides your standard recovery mode with a custom, infinitely better, recovery mode. From there you can flash unsigned ZIP files that don't necessarily reside in the root of the internal SD. You can also apply lag fixes and other tweaks, all of which the standard recovery mode doesn't offer.

What about all this lagfix stuff I have been reading about
The "lag fix" is a replacement file system for the device, since Samsung decided to use a proprietary file system for the SGS. There are many different options available, just read this thread a bit as they have been discussed numerous times.

and this 3 button combo stuff.
The 3 Button Recovery (3BR) fix is for devices that have a faulty boot loader. Many devices (predominantly Vodacom ones) were / are affected by this and hence you must make sure yours works before attempting any ROM flashing or rooting. If yours doesn't work, implement a 3BR fix first and then you should be good to go.
 
Last edited:
I phone Samsung to find out when the latest firmware will be available. The lady told me that it will be available in April but they are not sure if it will be Froyo of Gingerbread. So there is word out that we will not get the Froyo update but straight to Gingerbread. Then I started asking her about loading custom roms and so on. She told me that it will do nothing to the warranty. If you screw up your phone by flashing you will have to pay the repair centre to reload the Firmware. So I ask her again if I can load any Firmware that my heart desires and she said wait let me speak to her manager.. She came back and once again confirmed what she said. YOU WIL NOT LOOSE YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU FLASH CUSTOM FIRMWARE. I asked again... are you sure? and she said YES.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X