Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

When I flashed with the pit files, I had selected the repartition option both times. Should I not have? When I flashed without the pit files I had not selected the repartition option.
 
Done that already. No difference. Now also tried with repartion ticked and unticked with pit files, same response.

Then my final suggestion would be to download I9000XWJM8 from samfirmware, use this as csc http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/CSC_I9000OXAJM1.tar.md5 this as pit http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/s1_odin_20100512.pit select repartition make sure in taskmanager that kies is not running at all hold thumbs and keep both feet of the ground and press start.

Edit

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and you wasted a crapload of bandwith with me trying to help you.
 
Last edited:
THink more luck with just a custom kernel. Personal preference would be speedmod. if you first want to try with its a smaller download 7mb or so then the whole jm8
 
Then my final suggestion would be to download I9000XWJM8 from samfirmware, use this as csc http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/CSC_I9000OXAJM1.tar.md5 this as pit http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/s1_odin_20100512.pit select repartition make sure in taskmanager that kies is not running at all hold thumbs and keep both feet of the ground and press start.

How can I begin to thank you? It did indeed work, I suspected this strategy might, but I wasn't sure which of the old firmware's to flash. Everything works and now if I flash to a newer rom I always have something that does work to go back to. Don't worry about the bandwidth, I've nearly hit my monthly limit but a working phone is so much more valuable to me. Clickme you're my new hero. I owe you big time. I shall spread work of your awesome skills far and wide.
A summary for anyone who experiences my problems:
1. It really is nearly impossible to brick an SGS, even if the phone seems totally dead, applying enough heat from a hairdryer (for five minutes or so) and then trying download mode can work!
2. If you encounter the E drive problem the solution is to flash an older rom that comes in 3 parts - I assume something that the phone needs is not in the newer updates and when updating from certain roms you may encounter this problem because the necessary files get 'lost'.
Amazing - no jig cable needed from absolute and utter bricked black screen of nothingness to working phone and I couldn't have done it without Clickme.
 
How can I begin to thank you? It did indeed work, I suspected this strategy might, but I wasn't sure which of the old firmware's to flash. Everything works and now if I flash to a newer rom I always have something that does work to go back to. Don't worry about the bandwidth, I've nearly hit my monthly limit but a working phone is so much more valuable to me. Clickme you're my new hero. I owe you big time. I shall spread work of your awesome skills far and wide.
A summary for anyone who experiences my problems:
1. It really is nearly impossible to brick an SGS, even if the phone seems totally dead, applying enough heat from a hairdryer (for five minutes or so) and then trying download mode can work!
2. If you encounter the E drive problem the solution is to flash an older rom that comes in 3 parts - I assume something that the phone needs is not in the newer updates and when updating from certain roms you may encounter this problem because the necessary files get 'lost'.
Amazing - no jig cable needed from absolute and utter bricked black screen of nothingness to working phone and I couldn't have done it without Clickme.

LOL the only skilled I used was telling you what i think would work that I googled. But glad it worked. If you feel brave enough here is the link for vodacom branded 2.2.1 to flash with odin http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/voda.rar. Posted it in the froyo update thread as well and EddG confirmed that it worked for him.

You have no idea how relieved I am that it is working again
 
LOL the only skilled I used was telling you what i think would work that I googled. But glad it worked. If you feel brave enough here is the link for vodacom branded 2.2.1 to flash with odin http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21778065/voda.rar. Posted it in the froyo update thread as well and EddG confirmed that it worked for him.

You have no idea how relieved I am that it is working again

And modest too... I googled the same stuff but I just got more confused and usually I'm quite good with this stuff. Learnt a lot of lessons about Android this week.
I want to do the official Vodacom update, just to confirm, what settings should I use in Odin. Tick repartition? Use a pit?
 
Last edited:
come to think of it I was actually a prick. I know JM8 if able to get into download mode always worked for me, but trying to be clever. Like I said earlier in this thread today, I know just enough about this stuff to be extremely dangerous. Just extract the rar file. The tar.md5 file as pda. Hold on a sec that I just make 100% sure. Quickly gonna flash back to JM8 and then install the branded firmware, cause I did it before from JM8 when testing but now I can't remember if I used pit or not
 
No worries. I did it - no pit file and no repartition. And the last thing in the world you are is a prick! Thanks again. I'm finally on 2.2.1. Out of bandwidth so I just used the version of JPY I already had, I despise the Vodacom customisations anyway, but thanks to you I now know I can roll back if I have to give the phone in. I seriously owe you Clickme.
 
Last edited:
No worries. I did it - no pit file and no repartition. And the last thing in the world you are is a prick! Thanks again.

bleh so i just flash back for nothing hahaha. Your Welcome. Anyway like is said earlier make sure your imei is still correct, and your rom will be rooted know, so make a backup if your efs folder if you haven't got one, and another one if you allready got a backup. And just before you got online this afternoon i told how to unroot if you want to. But glad I could have helped a bit.
 
No worries. I did it - no pit file and no repartition. And the last thing in the world you are is a prick! Thanks again. I'm finally on 2.2.1. Out of bandwidth so I just used the version of JPY I already had, I despise the Vodacom customisations anyway, but thanks to you I now know I can roll back if I have to give the phone in. I seriously owe you Clickme.

As long as you happy and your phone is working 100% then all good. Just for interest sake, on jpy if you make use of wifi, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885903
 
Oronte, how did you get out of black screen of death?

Hairdryer! Hairdryer! I tried it again just now and the phone really got hot (really hot), I pressed the combo and I have download mode!!! Now before I mess it up again can someone give me instructions on what to do with Odin? I downloaded the 300mb XXJPY file, should I flash with a CSC or leave it out?
Edit: For reference I downloaded the XXJPY file from the link on this XDA thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=846913
And should I tick the pit file and if so which one should I use?
.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X